Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Matin 20 Leather Grip: alternate suggestions?

I just received the CowboyStudio Matin Multi Camera 20 leather hand grip today from Amazon, but unfortunately the tripod screw mechanism was defective. Also, the bottom plate partially covered the battery door on my K-5. Anyhow, I'm sending it back for a refund.

I really like the idea of a leather grip and I already have the Op-Tech wrist strap, but does anybody else know of a good leather grip that also won't cover the K-5's battery door?

08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Not at that low of a price ($15!!), but I love my Camdapter Pro Strap ($27) attached to the Mestos PD-K5 ($40, custom designed not to block anything) arca-plate. Nothing quite like real leather and a solid arca-plate!
08-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

I have a Herringbone Heritage strap on my K-30. I had previously posted regarding this strap (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/223707-he...ml#post2397242) and further down in the thread there are some images of the strap on my camera. I ordered my strap from ebay (seller http://stores.ebay.ca/IFGMARKET?_rdc=1).

Regards
08-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
Herringbone Heritage strap
Using this on the k-01 and can report it works quite well there. Never tried it on the k-5 though.

08-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Not at that low of a price ($15!!), but I love my Camdapter Pro Strap ($27) attached to the Mestos PD-K5 ($40, custom designed not to block anything) arca-plate. Nothing quite like real leather and a solid arca-plate!
Once again I have to agree with Panoguy - top quality leather. I actually have two - one connected to a Mestos plate as above, and one with Camdapter's plate which does not interfere with the battery door and is also arca-swiss compatible.

Argh - left eye shooter nose prints and all.......

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
08-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had several of these hand grips, and none of them did feel well for me.
Also, I wanted to have a neck strap attached at the same time.

Then I found a cheap leather hand strap, which seemed to provide the means to integrate it with a neck strap (EUR 14.90, from JJC, China).

This worked - after some re-arranging of the fixings of the strap.
The battery door of the K200D stays free.
Using a tripod without removing the strap from the body (bottom) is possible, but it decreases the stability a bit.

But I can use my older Pentax neck straps from the nineties, which offer the 2 small built-in pockets for okular cover and either flash shoe cover or SD card.

The older Pentax neck straps are much much better than what they deliver now-a-days.
08-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I hate neck straps myself - love my sling strap. Have mine setup the best of both worlds for me with the hand strap and quick attach sling strap. Also no problem for quick tripod mounting as the bottom plate is arca-swiss.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
08-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Once again I have to agree with Panoguy - top quality leather. I actually have two - one connected to a Mestos plate as above, and one with Camdapter's plate which does not interfere with the battery door and is also arca-swiss compatible.

Argh - left eye shooter nose prints and all.......

but then you can't use the grip when in portrait position?
08-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
but then you can't use the grip when in portrait position?
Sure I can.