Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Traveling to UK, what is a good suggestion for a traveling tripod?

In 6 weeks I'll be traveling to the UK and I would like to take some really great photos with my new K-30. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a reasonably priced tripod that can collapse into a size that is easily transportable?

08-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest a 6-inch table top model. You can set it on something, or brace it against a wall or post, etc.
08-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest a genuine full size tripod that also converts to a Monopod. Many museums and other locations prohibit tripods but may allow the use of a monopod. Here is one that gives you the idea and is pretty small when folded away.
Benro MeFoto A1350Q1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
08-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manfrotto has a new travel tripod called the "Befree": (I just ordered one for my next trip)

Befree ? Compact Lightweight Tripod For Travel Photography | Manfrotto

Phil.

08-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are probably a few tripod threads in here, but one relatively recent one that includes some strong recommendations is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/222747-ca...ml#post2363107.
08-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just bought a Cullmann Nanomax 200T which is brilliant, tiny, flexible (in a good way) and lightweight.

Cullmann Nanomax 200T includes Cb5.1Tripod includes: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

CULLMANN Foto | Video :: NANOMAX :: Ergebnisse

With the head removed (unscrewed) it fits in this This small bag, along with all the following in the photo:

08-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You could also just buy a cheapy one here and leave or gift it when you depart.

08-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I just bought a Cullmann Nanomax 200T which is brilliant, tiny, flexible (in a good way) and lightweight.

Cullmann Nanomax 200T includes Cb5.1Tripod includes: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

CULLMANN Foto | Video :: NANOMAX :: Ergebnisse

With the head removed (unscrewed) it fits in this This small bag, along with all the following in the photo:

Looks nice. Here is the Amazon US link
Amazon.com: Cullmann CU 52001 Nanomax 200 T Compact with Ball Head (Black): CULLMANN: Camera & Photo
08-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is the Manfrotto 294 a good option? I'm looking for something tall that will allow me to stand and still look in the viewfinder.

Manfrotto 294 Aluminum 3 Section Camera Tripod FREE S&H MT294A3. Manfrotto Tripods.

I release I will also need to buy a head. I won't be taking video or any portrait orientation shoots only landscape. Is this a typically good head choice?

Barska Compact Ball Head System for Tripods AF11602. Barska Tripod Accessories.

Also, because I'll be outside, possibly in the lighter rain, do I have to worry about the tripod getting wet?
08-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the Manfrotto MT294A3 - excellent tripod. I use it with the 804rc2 head.
I'm 5' 10" and this is a perfect height for me and supports my gear well, the heaviest being a K10 and Sigma 170-500.
You must be aware that it is long folded, so you might be better off with the MT294A4 legs as it's a 4-section and collapses shorter.

I try not to get the tripod wet, but it can't be helped in/near streams or long, wet grass. I usually towel it all off when I pack up and extend it when I get home to let it dry off indoors.

I had a shortlist when I was choosing a tripod and it took a bit of time deciding between 3 or 4 section legs, ball head and pan/tilt. Weight wasn't an issue.

The Manfrotto is solid and presents very good value for money.

At the time, I also looked at the Slik Sprint Pro II
Slik Sprint Pro
08-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had narrowed my search to the Benro 1691 (because of the height, monopod, portability, weather resistance leg seals, etc.) Unfortunately, it is no longer available so I selected the MeFoto Roadtrip with nearly the same specs except for the weather resistant leg seals.

I will have a 15-20 pound bag on my back everyday. I'd like to use the backpack as a tripod stabilizer (possibly in wind) while I step away to get into the picture with family. The roadtrip is stated as supporting a 17.6 pound load. Does this load include both the weight of the camera and the bag hanging from the bottom of the center column? If not, is there anyway to determine how much load the hook at the base of the center column will support?