Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,316
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
larry also suggested the sidekick but i am going to use this with the sigma 500 and want to make sure that it is rock solid...
Give the folks at Wimberley a call and ask their advice about a Sidekick-like device vs. a full gimbal. They've consulted many other photographers, and the Sigma 500/4.5 is one of the lenses that make people consider a gimbal head, so I'm sure they've tested it. Really, they won't say you have to buy one first...

08-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,857
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Give the folks at Wimberley a call and ask their advice about a Sidekick-like device vs. a full gimbal. They've consulted many other photographers, and the Sigma 500/4.5 is one of the lenses that make people consider a gimbal head, so I'm sure they've tested it. Really, they won't say you have to buy one first...
thanks panoguy...in discussions with several people the impression i have is the sidekick won't be strong enough for the sigma 500 so sounds like i need to focus on the full gimbal
08-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,316
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
thanks panoguy...in discussions with several people the impression i have is the sidekick won't be strong enough for the sigma 500 so sounds like i need to focus on the full gimbal
Which is odd, since I borrowed another guy's 500/4.5 (mightymike around here) and put it on my sidekick with no problem. I don't own that lens to use it every day, but the collar on the Sigma is definitely big enough, and I had a long arca-plate to balance it nicely. There might be an issue with feeling confident, but that's different from being strong enough... the Sigma may be 3 kilos, but I think my tripod and head weigh more than that! (=confident)
08-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,670
Go with the Katana. It's overbuilt and tough.
It's milled from solid 6061 Aluminum.
It's has multiple heavy-load bearings to support ANYTHING.
It's a heavy gimbal that absorbs vibration.
It's the best gimbal money can buy.
It blows the doors off Wimberly.

You can't clone a Katana because of how it's built.
Wimberly clones are everywhere.



08-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,316
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Go with the Katana. It's overbuilt and tough.
It's milled from solid 6061 Aluminum.
It's has multiple heavy-load bearings to support ANYTHING.
It's a heavy gimbal that absorbs vibration.
It's the best gimbal money can buy.
It blows the doors off Wimberly.
Oh, quit beating around the bush and tell us what you really think!

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
You can't clone a Katana because of how it's built.
08-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,857
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Which is odd, since I borrowed another guy's 500/4.5 (mightymike around here) and put it on my sidekick with no problem. I don't own that lens to use it every day, but the collar on the Sigma is definitely big enough, and I had a long arca-plate to balance it nicely. There might be an issue with feeling confident, but that's different from being strong enough... the Sigma may be 3 kilos, but I think my tripod and head weigh more than that! (=confident)
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Go with the Katana. It's overbuilt and tough.
It's milled from solid 6061 Aluminum.
It's has multiple heavy-load bearings to support ANYTHING.
It's a heavy gimbal that absorbs vibration.
It's the best gimbal money can buy.
It blows the doors off Wimberly.

You can't clone a Katana because of how it's built.
Wimberly clones are everywhere.

my buddy larry is going on vacation so is loaning me his katana so i can check this monster out...looking forward to checking it out...will let you know
08-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,670
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Oh, quit beating around the bush and tell us what you really think!

Too funny!

08-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
The Sigma 500/4.5 is not really a heavy lens at just under 7 lbs. The FA* 300/2.8 weighs 6 lbs 10 oz which is less than 1/2 lb lighter. The Sidekick handles this weight class easily, but some users have said that anything bulkier than 300/2.8 class lenses are better handled by the full WH200 gimbal. The differences that I see between the Katana and the WH200 are -- almost 2 lbs in weight with the Katana at @ 5 lbs and the WH200 at 3.14 lbs, and functionally, both the horizontal pivot and panning base knobs are on the same side on the Wimberley, so both can conveniently be found by feel and adjusted by the left hand. I learned early on to set up my ballhead's panning knob on the same side as my Sidekick's knob to achieve the same convenience. I like to keep my right hand on the camera grip while shooting, and frequently lock the gimbal down to give me maximum stability since the added height of the gimbal reduces any tripod's stability to some extent. In the heat of battle with those pesky birds, little things like this make a difference, IMO.

The Katana alone, at @ 5 lbs, weighs more than my lightweight tripod legs and ballhead together (4 bs, 5 oz). In my recent obsession to reduce the weight of my kit, this would be a deal breaker because it would drive the weight of my big support setup to well over 10 lbs., and at that weight, I'd rarely choose to carry it.

Scott
08-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,670
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
The differences that I see between the Katana and the WH200 are -- almost 2 lbs in weight with the Katana at @ 5 lbs and the WH200 at 3.14 lbs, and functionally, both the horizontal pivot and panning base knobs are on the same side on the Wimberley, so both can conveniently be found by feel and adjusted by the left hand.
Yeah baby. Built like a TANK.
3 extra pounds of beefy-goodness!!
Also, with the Katana you can move the pan knob to whatever side you like!


QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
The Katana alone, at @ 5 lbs, weighs more than my lightweight tripod legs and ballhead together (4 bs, 5 oz). In my recent obsession to reduce the weight of my kit, this would be a deal breaker because it would drive the weight of my big support setup to well over 10 lbs., and at that weight, I'd rarely choose to carry it.

Scott
I totally understand light weight, and the Katana is definitely NOT.
You can also put extra attachments on the Katana like the Flash doubler bracket.

Gimbal Head Flash Doubler

The Katana also has extra 1/4-20" holes in great places and Arca compatible slots on the arm.

08-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,781
I've been using the Jobu Jr3 for a while now. Works very well, nice and light. It is on my tripod right now, but I use it on my monopod. It isn't as solid as some of the heavier ones, but it is light. You can remove the swing arm and use it like the sidekick to save weight. Far better than a ball head, especially for tracking with a long lens.
12-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,778
I am considering the Custom Brackets Gimbal for three reasons: looks solid, collapsible for transport, limited pano capability. Right now for travel I take a large ball head, Sidekick and Nodal Ninja 5 with leveler and rotator. I sense I can reduce this down to the Custom Bracket Gimbal. What I give up is the pitch capability of the Nodal Ninja for interior scenes. Does anyone have hands on experience with the Custom Brackets Gimbal? Thanks
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brackets, custom, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beike Gimbal Tripod head excanonfd Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 11 10-13-2013 04:06 AM
For Sale - Sold: Wimberley gimbal head and Manfrotto tripod oeriies Sold Items 0 07-13-2013 07:34 AM
Debating on K-01.. Photo compared to K-R? jaywes Pentax K-01 6 12-21-2012 12:15 PM
Lower Priced Gimbal heads on ebay? coreyhkh Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 22 11-28-2012 11:21 AM
Pentax A 2x-L rear converter & Chinese knockoff Gimbal on the same day!! littledrawe Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 01-10-2012 02:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top