Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is there a GENUINE Neoprene Pentax Neck Strap and where to buy it.

I love my new K-30 but unfortunately the standard strap is way to short. I like having the camera around my neck and being 6'4" it bounces off my chest as I walk. Additionally then sharp edges of the strap cut into my neck after 15 minutes.

Is there anyplace online I can buy a comfortable Genuine Pentax neoprene longer neck strap? I prefer to have it around me neck as opposed to being across my torso as I often have a large backpack on. I don't think I must have quick release clasps because if I want to mount it to a tripod I'll slid the strap and camera over me head. eBay has a lot of Pentax straps but they all appear to be fakes; the strap says "for Pentax" in a pink font (instead of just Pentax) and I'd be worried how the strap material will last. I do like if the strap says Pentax in big red letters as I'm prideful of my wonderful camera and I can make waves in an oppressive canikony world.

If no such strap was ever made by Pentax maybe someone can suggest a aftermarket comfortable neoprene lengthy neck strap?

08-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon.com: OP/TECH 1501372 Pro Loop Strap for Camera Equipment (Black): Camera & Photo

I'm a big fan of the op/tech system. The link above is only one of the styles they have. I use the sling strap myself, but that is a cross body strap with the camera hanging at the side. The one linked is a more conventional strap. Excellent quality and configurable. Here's their website: OP/TECH USA | Leading manufacturer of neoprene camera straps

Nothing Pentax I'm afraid though.
08-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've done a lot of looking at camera straps before and never came across a genuine Pentax neoprene strap.

Like jatrax recommended, take a look at OP Tech, they're probably the best-known name when it comes to neoprene.
08-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have an Ape Case strap that just has a small Ape Case logo, which I have not gotten around to removing. I like to make the camera strap-lookers keep going down the strap to look at the camera :-)

08-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

+1 for Optech. They have nice stuff which is pretty solid. I got a neoprene cover from them a couple of years ago and it is still like new.
08-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Unless they market something in Japan, I don't think there's any such thing. I use Op-Tech, too, though, on any rig that is or might get heavy. I think you can obtain some reasonably-authentic looking patches that you could probably sew onto a lot of different straps.
08-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
reasonably-authentic looking patches that you could probably sew onto a lot of different straps.
According to the op/tech web site they will print logos and such on straps, no idea what that costs though. And if you have a shop nearby that does embroidery on hats, shirts etc they can do the work on just about anything from an image file. Most towns have one or two of these that most people never notice but they have the machines to do most anything logo-wise.

08-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
According to the op/tech web site they will print logos and such on straps, no idea what that costs though. And if you have a shop nearby that does embroidery on hats, shirts etc they can do the work on just about anything from an image file. Most towns have one or two of these that most people never notice but they have the machines to do most anything logo-wise.
Ah, yes. Though I *think* that for Optech to do that may require a bulk order: there was talk about this some years ago to have em make some swag for the forums. Though I may be incorrect or that may have changed by now.
08-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I purchased a Lowepro Speedster strap and wrote the company asking about extenders so I could wear the strap cross-body as desired. The LowePro representative told me they didn't offer extenders but was willing to send me a spare set of of the quick release snaps. I made my own extender. It works great! I have a quick release on my monopod (doubles as a walking stick on trips) and a matching quick release on a waist belt. I wear the camera cross body (The strap easily glides as I raise the camera to my face.) and when I am not actively shooting but want the camera at the ready, attach it to the waist belt. It both protects the camera from banging into things (and me) and the lack of sway is less stressful to my body when I am on my feet for hours. The camera has the lens pointed straight down along my leg. The hood is mounted and the front lens cap is safely stored either in my pocket or my camera bag. I gather surprisingly little dust on the front lens element.