Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

screwmount adapter trouble

I recently got a screwmount adapter to use with my K-x. I'm having trouble getting the adapter off of the camera. I have a genuine Pentax adapter, but I do not have the tool/wrench to use with it. I've tried the ball point pen to help release the 'catch' on the adapter, but it doesn't want to come off. How much force is usually needed to remove the adapter? I'm worried that I might damage my camera body if I try to force too much torque on the adapter. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

08-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If it is a genuine adapter, a pen should do it. Just make sure the catch is actually releasing and then push the pen down (along the mount, not into the body) as-if to rotate the adapter out of there. The pen will break before anything else does, but you don't want ink in your camera either. (Don't use a metal screwdriver or anything like that.)
08-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #3

There is no tool or wrench for the OEM Pentax adapter. It normally takes very little force. You should be able to depress the spring with your thumbnail. You depress the clip towards the center of the adapter not towards the camera body. With the clip depressed rotate the adapter anti-clockwise until you can pull it out.

http://www.gyes.eu/documents/pentax_mount_adapter_k.pdf
08-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, but I still haven't had any luck. Broke the pen! Something strange is going on....I'm going to put it down before I break it--will try again later...

08-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two copies of the Pentax OEM adapter. Removing it is a very gentle process.

Could you provide a photo of the adapter as mounted on your camera? (iPhone?) Maybe we can see what's going on.
08-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both a genuine Pentax adapter and a non-genuine. It is very difficult to see a difference between the two. But the difference is obvious when you try to get it off the camera - the genuine one comes off easily with the help of your fingernail and the non-genuine is difficult to remove even with the tool provided.

Guess which one I never use!!
08-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The genuine adapter is actually a bit loose even, Comes off ever so easy with a toothpick (I have short nails)

08-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have both a genuine Pentax adapter and a non-genuine. It is very difficult to see a difference between the two. But the difference is obvious when you try to get it off the camera - the genuine one comes off easily with the help of your fingernail and the non-genuine is difficult to remove even with the tool provided.

Guess which one I never use!!
Yeah I use my nail all the time. You didn't mention the brand of your adapter. Do you have the genuine one?
08-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got it! Not sure what was causing it to stick, but I've since remounted and removed without any trouble at all. Thanks for the help.
08-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
Got it! Not sure what was causing it to stick, but I've since remounted and removed without any trouble at all. Thanks for the help.
If it is not the genuine Pentax adapter, be prepared for this to happen again and be prepared for the possibility that it might not come off next time without a little Dremel work.

Steve
08-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is a genuine Pentax...that was what was so irritating, but it's all good now. Now that I finally got the adapter, I'm really enjoying getting to use a couple of my dad's old, cheap lenses that I had laying around--promaster f2.8/ 28mm and promaster f4/85-210mm. They're nothing fancy, but it's two lenses that otherwise I wouldn't have the chance to use. It's also good to force myself to improve manual exposures.
08-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Yeah I use my nail all the time. You didn't mention the brand of your adapter. Do you have the genuine one?
Yes. I said "I have both a genuine Pentax adapter and a non-genuine.".
08-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Here is the trick. When you unscrew the lens from the adapter, it pushes the spring against the internal notch. This sometimes causes the spring to jam.
After removing the lens, just turn the adapter clockwise a little. This will allow the spring to completely clear the lock notch.
I've had it happen with all brands of adapters.
Mine no longer have springs. I mount the adapters to the lens and drill a lock slot. Making them K mounts.