Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Permanently attach M42 adapter to lens

hey everyone
i have exactly one M42 lens and the original Pentax adapter.
i am tired of having to do the 2-step procedure when mounting the lens (1. mount the adapter, 2. screw in the lens).

so here's my idea, i want to
- screw the lens into the adapter, maybe even glue it on
- remove the little lever (it's attached to the adapter with a little screw) - the one that you have to move when you unmount the adapter

i'm hoping that this way, i can have the adapter on the lens permanently and i can just mount the whole thing in one go.

has anyone ever done that before me?
i'm a little afraid there's a fault in my thinking and i end up with a broken adapter, or worse, i can't get the lens off my camera anymore

micha

08-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

I think you'd have to drill a little hole in the lens mount for the k mounting pin to locate in, otherwise your lens might fall off.
08-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A lot of people do it that way, I do as well, though with the cheap Chinese adapters instead. The only problem will be that the lens will not lock, so it can fall off if you are not careful. It won't work well if the lens focus ring is stiff either.

You can possibly drill a small hole in the lens for the lock pin, but that would hurt resale value.
08-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been using my M42 lenses with a broken adapter (without the spring clip) for a while now, it works quite well if the lens has a thick base (unlike the Helio 44-2).
You always have to be careful not to unscrew the lens, if you do that. In any case you shouldn't do that with one of the original adapters, a cheap third-party one will do.

The best solution would be to find an adapter that keeps the lens aligned the right way, permanently attach it and cut a locking-notch into the base of the lens (or have someon do it for you). I've been thinking of doing that with some of my lenses (Tomioka 55/1.2, Vivitar 135/2.3, Vivitar 200/3.0).

If someone around here has already done that, please share.

regards
Jan

08-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many people have done this, but . . .

the way the adapter/lens combination is held fixed in the body is different between the original Pentax adapter and the cheaper 3rd party parts.

The original one is - without lens - sitting loose inside the body mount. It gets only fixed after - through screwing in the lens - it is pressed against the body mount from the inside. In fact now the body mount is sandwiched between adaptor and lens, getting pressure from both sides. This way the lens is fixed in its position.
This technique isn't working anymore if the adaptor is already merged with the lens before attaching the lens to the body. To be able to attach and remove the lens at all, you would have to fix the adapter in a position where the unit would sit much more lose in the body. If the distance is too big, it may even degrade IQ (optical axes not square to the sensor anymore). If too small, it could be difficult to attach and remove the unit (specially if temperature has changed between attaching and removing). Also, the lens may now need to get locked just as any K mount lens.

The situation is slightly different with 3rd party adapters. These are not fixed in the camera mount by pressured sandwiching the body mount between adapter and lens, but are designed in a way that they are already sitting tight in the body mount even without any lens attached (that's why you need a tool to get them out, not needed with the original one). If you remove the spring from such an adapter, you may have the same situation as with the Pentax ones, but it could also still be very stiff inside the mount. This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even from copy to copy.

I am using some lenses this way with 3rd party adapters fixed on the lens, but:
  1. I bought several of these adapters, and choose parts which were sitting most loose in the body mount. As I said before, this behaviour may vary from copy to copy, even if they were milled on the same tool machine.
  2. I removed the spring
  3. To "glue", I used stuff which isn't really glue, but can break loose if force is used (just in case)
  4. I drilled a whole in the lens mount to make the ordinary lens lock working
  5. I didn't do this with expensive lenses!
08-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
so it was a good idea to ask you guys beforehand,
because i wasn't aware that the little lever is the only thing that keeps the lens locked onto the camera.

and apparently i was wrong on having an original pentax adapter...?! don't really remember, anyway it's the good kind where you can focus to infinity.

anyway, drilling a hole seems a little to much work for such a minor problem so i'll probably just leave it be.

thanks everyone!

Last edited by Alcazar; 08-30-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: unclear sentence
08-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adaptors which make it impossible to focus to infinity do make sense in special cases.

For macro, I use a Rodenstock enlarger lens (IQ on par with the best macro lenses), with combined Adaptors M39->M42->K bajonet, permanently attached on the lens. As this combination is used (with extensions) for macro only, non-infinity is not important.

But with many of these non-infinite adaptors, the whole for lens locking can be drilled directly in that adaptor. Now this combination can be used just as any K mount lens.

08-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
so it was a good idea to ask you guys beforehand,
because i wasn't aware that the little lever is the only thing that keeps the lens locked onto the camera.

and apparently i was wrong on having an original pentax adapter...?! don't really remember, anyway it's the good kind where you can focus to infinity.

anyway, drilling a hole seems a little to much work for such a minor problem so i'll probably just leave it be.

thanks everyone!
Hi Alcazar I share your frustration too (taking too much time to switch between m42 and K-mount lenses, worry of dust...)

And I don't want to make a permanent mount conversion because who knows if somebody might give me a m42 camera body as a present later! :-P

Anyways, if you don't have much lens collection yet, I recommend you to collect m42 lenses instead of older K mount lenses. In this case when you are in "old lens shooting mode/mood" you have only the screw/unscrew to worry about, no need to take off adapter. This is what I'm doing now.
08-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I'd just get a second, less-expensive body for M42 lenses. With the low/falling prices of the K-5 or K-30, this would save you a lot of time and pain in the long run IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding your two-step pain. You might find it a bit easier to stomach if you screw the adapter onto the lens and then mount the assembly to the camera. That way you can minimize the amount of time the camera innards are open to dust. It is also a ton easier to do. Adapt the lens, not the camera.

Steve

(...most of the adapter and camera manuals say to do it that way, though a few say to mount the adapter to the camera first...go figure...)
08-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of my M42s have a cheap adapter semi-permanently attached to them. I have added a notch to one or two lenses for the locking pin, but for most lenses, friction is enough to hold them in place. I reserve my genuine Pentax adapter for testing and "special occasions", since you can get six or eight Chinese adapters for the price of one genuine Pentax. Just make sure you remove the spring clip and screw from any cheap adapter. At best, they aren't as reliable as the Pentax spring, and at worst, they jam in the mount or scrape metal shavings off the mount and into the camera body.
08-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
... or scrape metal shavings off the mount and into the camera body.
My experience too. At least that is what I found AFTER I struggled for several hours to extract the Bower-branded adapter from the camera.

Steve
08-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the Fotodiox ones. They're cheap, and they fit the K-Mount tightly. I ditch the locking spring and epoxy in the notches (I found out they leak light there), and smooth the epoxy with a file. I put the adapter in my vise, screw the lens on a little bit too tightly, and then it's basically a K-Mount without the lock. The Fotodiox adapters fit tightly enough that it takes an intentional turn to loosen it. I've never had one start to turn while focusing, even when I focus fast and hit the stop.
01-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #14

Hi. It's been a long while from the last post on this thread but I have a question. In about a week I'll get K-5 II with 18-55mm wr kit and I was searching for m42 lens. I have found out that one can find really nice ones for not that much money. So, problem for me is should I buy a lots of cheap chinese adapters which goes to lens (not body) and fix it or should I go with original (around 50 usd) which is mount on the body?
Am I really in position, with cheap chinese "Mount-to-lens" adapters, to "destroy" metal threads on the Pentax body?

Thank you!
01-26-2014, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by malenisjaj Quote
Hi. It's been a long while from the last post on this thread but I have a question. In about a week I'll get K-5 II with 18-55mm wr kit and I was searching for m42 lens. I have found out that one can find really nice ones for not that much money. So, problem for me is should I buy a lots of cheap chinese adapters which goes to lens (not body) and fix it or should I go with original (around 50 usd) which is mount on the body?
Am I really in position, with cheap chinese "Mount-to-lens" adapters, to "destroy" metal threads on the Pentax body?

Thank you!
Do both! I have one genuine Pentax adapter that I use for testing or for "special" lenses, several cheap Chinese adapters permanently attached to other lenses, and Kipon adapters with the inner flange to press the auto pin on my Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. The cheap adapters won't destroy the bayonet flanges on the body mount, but the screw holding the spring clip on the adapter usually protrudes and jams or scrapes the mount - always remove the spring and screw! That's what causes most problems with stuck adapters. Sometimes the edges on a cheap adapter are a little rough - when you first get one, visually inspect for any metal spurs, remove the spring and screw, and test-fit the adapter without a lens. And always remove the spring and screw!