Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We all worry about various factors in our photography...and those are subjective concerns based on our individual photo needs.

Cleaning damage has been underdiscussed in this old topic. If you shoot outdoor/wildlife/nature in dry, dusty conditions like here in Montana you may need to clean your lens as often as daily and certainly weekly if you are a frequent shooter. So lets say that's 40-50 cleanings annually. And if you purchased a pro quality star lens for over $1000 you'll want to use it for at least 10 years (I owned one of my 600/4's for 23 years) that's 400 to 500 cleanings or more. I don't care how careful you are, cleaning sandy grit from lenses hundreds of times suggests that you should opt for something covering the front element. I guess we could all opt to just shoot through the dusty front element but...

I always use the highest quality filter/UV/Protective Front available...at any cost! Over the years, editors have purchased about 1000 images from me including a current cover photo on a small-market mag released last week. As long as it's competitively saleable I don't care about other issues in Lightroom. That's just me...

02-07-2020, 06:42 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Over the years, in about two instances, my filters have protected my expensive lenses. Unfortunately the lens has fallen, hit the deck, the filter has been damaged, but the lens in these two instances have been good to go.

I use filters, but top quality (albeit expensive) German made, clear and/or UV, B+W filters. I have experimented with my B+W filters on the lens and the lens without filters, on a number of my lenses including my DF A 100 Macro, 28-105 and 24-70 and yes I expand the pics...to do some pixel peeping. I myself, can't see any difference in picture quality in these before and after tests.

Maybe not a detailed scientific analysis...but in the end I don't know what is better than going by the eyes...as the final judgment. If it looks good, looks to be the same...then that is good enough for me.

I don't put cheap filters on...as why put a cheap filter on in front of expensive glass.

I put expensive glass (B+W ) over my expensive glass (lenses).

In the end, I have chosen expensive filters...B+W...as I believe generally, you get what you pay for and I base this view on many years of experience. Other opinions may differ.