Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Igilligan

Lens protection question (filter)

I just got my Tamron 28-75mm and I want to put the best filter I can on the front of it to help protect the glass. Any suggestions? I dont really use filters on most of my older used pentax lenses but the 28-75 has a big piece of glass that seems really vulnerable.

Thanks for the help.

03-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I just got my Tamron 28-75mm and I want to put the best filter I can on the front of it to help protect the glass. Any suggestions? I dont really use filters on most of my older used pentax lenses but the 28-75 has a big piece of glass that seems really vulnerable.

Thanks for the help.
vulnerable to what?
03-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Igilligan

You know - scratches or whatnot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
vulnerable to what?
Even trying to put the lens cap on if the hood is on, it seems like you are in danger of hitting the glass.

I am looking for a filter with the best optics, so that I am least affecting the IQ of this lens.
03-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hardness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if a plastic lens cap is dense enough to scratch the glass on your precious tamron... then maybe this lens isnt as high quality as you think.

just a thought.....

(i am very anti filter)

03-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have B&W UV filters on my lenses where possible - expensive, but quality doesn't come cheap, and I factor it in to the cost of a lens. Before the lenshood brigade leap in, yes I always use a lenshood whenever possible, but they aren't very good at keeping seaspray off wider angle lenses!

Incidentally, although a plastic cap won't scratch glass, it might scratch the surface coatings on the front element...
03-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
B+W MRC UV if you have trouble cleaning coated glasses. If not, HOYA DMC or HMC Super UV are worth considered too.
03-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

all i know from personal exprience, carrying around my Zenitar, which, from reading various reviews has one of the worst front coatings ever (ie, easily scratched) mine is still in prestine condition after many pocket trips.. with the lens cap removed, falling off, rubbing, scratching and what not.

i do have one scratch from a BRICK in the corner of the lens element, but then again brick VS glass is a no brainer.

i am genuinely curious as to why people purchase lens filters for the sole purpose of this supposed "lens protection".

03-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #8

I am mindfull of IQ issues, especially flare, and will often remove the filter if shooting into the sun. However: you're in the field - you get rain/seaspray/dust/penguin shit (don't ask!) on the front of your lens. OK, perhaps I should be more carefull, but what do you do? Delicately try to blow it off, produce some magically clean cloth, or say, 'hey, its only a filter' take it off and give it a quick wash with water out of your waterbottle and dry it with your 'almost' clean cotton handkerchief? Or even just take it off and keep shooting?

You pay your money, you take your choice - there is no 'right' answer...
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Igilligan

I understand your point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Hardness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if a plastic lens cap is dense enough to scratch the glass on your precious tamron... then maybe this lens isnt as high quality as you think.

just a thought.....

(i am very anti filter)
I am far from being pro filter. The only ones I really have are ones that came with used lenses. And most of them are on the shelf. I am more worried about the coating than the actually glass on this lens.
But I can see how with some macro lenses with their close focusing, and you are sticking them right up to rocks and bricks to get a bug shot... How a scratch might happen.

Oh and it is precious... When you aint got a lot of the dough, a 350 dollar lens is like gold.
03-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Gus

May I suggest you look into Marumi brand . Best filter for your bucks . I have one on mine DA*50-135 and some on the others . The owner of the local store told me about it few years back . She's been around for 20 years . It's funny that sometimes she would tell me not to buy something .

Call your local camera stores down there . Some might have it .

No-filter vs. filter debate has been going on forever .

It's your lens . You can put anything on it as you please .

Tran
03-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggestion: Put your mind at ease and get a filter if you're worried about your lens.

I'm personally keen to 'protect' all my lenses with filters for the odd occasion that elements of the earth (dirt, dust, wind, water, etc) hit the lens while shooting. It may be that the things wouldn't affect the front element, but I'm not keen on lens cleaning solutions and would prefer to prevent soiling the lens rather than clean it afterwards.

As to which one you buy, yes, I can vouch for small $=degrading IQ and bigger $=maintaining lens IQ. So for my Tammy, I got the thin Hoya Pro1D S-HMC, which is probably the best Hoya can offer for maintaining IQ, but that's the brand that's most readily available in my neck of the woods.

So if you're deciding to get one, look for the more modern thinner Pro UV filters with the best multicoatings. No doubt by putting any piece of glass in front of your lens you're going to affect images negatively, but better coated filters will reduce this effect considerably.
03-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A top of the line 67mm B+W UV filter wouldn't cost you more than $50. If any lens of mine break the $300 mark, you would get a filter for it. The IQ degradation is not proven. Flare will be the problem when you shoot straight into the bright sun, and if that's the case, you can always remove the filter for such shot.

Lens coating is easily scratched. Minor scratch wouldn't affect the IQ, and is hard to spot. However, over time, these would accumulate. Back in the day, any high-price, special order lens would come with a filter to protect the precious coating.
03-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Igilligan

Thank you Everyone

I do appreciate the help. I have decided I am definately getting one. Peace of mind on my most costly lens... I will head to the camera store in SF to see my options. I like the "thin" hoya option.

I did not realize there were such deep feelings on the "to filter or not to filter" question. thank you all for the clarity.
04-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Oh and it is precious... When you aint got a lot of the dough, a 350 dollar lens is like gold.
HERE HERE I'm feeling a bit luckyer with a 90 £ 70-300 mm lens its not breaking the back but I do my best to look after it without filters and keep the hood on at all times
04-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

filters are easier to clean than front elements, to me. that's why i use one.