Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tele-converter - did Pentax ever make one?

As a Pentaxian since 1978, I should know the answer to this but I do not. Did Pentax ever make its own tele-converters or were they all off-brand? I am in the market for a 2x if they are still available.

03-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, pentax made 2 sets of TC's- a "long" set and a "short" set, both containing 1.4x and 2x TC's. They are from the 'A' series I believe, so no autofocus. They also made a sort of AF TC that would provide limited AF to manual lenses (you focus the lens to within a close distance of proper focus, then the TC does the rest) that is a 1.7x. The AF TC is very rare, and the others are out of production but seem to be relatively easy to find used. There are also several 3rd party TC's as well.
03-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Teleconverters Illustrated

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
As a Pentaxian since 1978, I should know the answer to this but I do not. Did Pentax ever make its own tele-converters or were they all off-brand? I am in the market for a 2x if they are still available.
Here is a link to the irreplaceable B. Dimitrov K-Mount Web Page. The teleconverter (with pictures) section is linked below. I have the old T6-2X that isn't as nice as the newer TC's, but it works with my KX and old lenses.

Pentax Teleconverters
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here is a link to the irreplaceable B. Dimitrov K-Mount Web Page. The teleconverter (with pictures) section is linked below. I have the old T6-2X that isn't as nice as the newer TC's, but it works with my KX and old lenses.

Pentax Teleconverters
I have the A 1.4X-S which is of very good quality. As with all TCs it magnifies the defects of the lens 1.4X as well, but I cannot blame the converter for that. I took a couple of shots with the 50-135 on the front of it, and they were very, very good indeed.

03-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2 pentax TCs neither of which is listed in previous posts.

I have a Pentax - Takumar 2X TC with contacts for KA mount lenses, and
I have the Pentax 1.7X AF TC which provides autofocus functions for non autofocus lenses (F2.8 and faster in the manual, but in fact works fine aton F4 lenses)