Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SLIK pro AMT 700 (or some such name); I have one and it is both reasonably priced and heavy

09-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
SLIK pro AMT 700 (or some such name); I have one and it is both reasonably priced and heavy
Exactly, I went through some of what ripit reports, then got a Slik 700DX mainly for the Speed 4x5, but I use it for small ones too now.
Very strong, compared to the other tripods here, rated 8 kilogram (16 pounds) with M10 bolts, properly designed clamps etc and spirit levels.
Also it has an ingenious "puck" mount which is a socket with an overcenter clamp and a safety catch.
The Quick Release pucks are $16.50 each at B&H, but I ended up machining up a set of 5.

Well worth looking at but not for hiking. Max one block from where you park the car !
09-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Well, I carry 'rocks' around with me, if you can consider the silicon in glass to be a 'rock'.

But seriously, for years I have rigged my camera bag such that it can suspended below the center of a tripod. I then use the bag's weight to dampen tripod vibration. The other factors are you must avoid touching the camera during the exposure or for a period of time prior to the exposure. This will induce vibration. You must also block the wind. The bigger the surface area, the bigger the wind vibration and frankly it won't matter as a practicality how heavy your tripod might be. And finally, you have to consider the surface on which you have placed the tripod. One house we lived in was a mile (2km) away from train tracks, but the ground was largely sand and vibrations from freight trains transmitted right into my darkroom and could impact my prints.
09-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
If the current tripod is ok in most aspects apart from weight, then perhaps instead of making a completely new one, you could make some sort of clamps/trays/brackets to hold some ballast?

To be really simple, tie a brick to each leg?
There are other problems than weight. My current tripod can support the lenses that I have now weight wise, but probably not some I am looking at. With the current lenses, the tripods I have now are not stiff enough and movement/vibration is terrible when trying to manually focus a long lens (not just long as in focal length, long i focal length as well as long in the physical length of the lens). I'm wanting something very heavy duty, stiff due to heavier build etc. I'm also going to work on some lens supports. I'll try to find one to buy that is heavier duty but can be transported short distances easy enough. I'm also going to try and build something incredibly stiff, perhaps even with a 2 point attachment designed to mate with a custom lens support and or to a lens with a second tripod mount ring added.

09-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't hold with the often quoted method of suspending a heavy bag on a hook under the camera.
It would have little if any benefit for the lateral higher frequency wind and shutter vibration that we are trying to reduce to get a sharp image on a long lens.
Except that it might load up the loose trunnions on the legs of a worn or otherwise inadequate tripod.

For that to work to reduce wind vibration, you would need to put the camera mount right on the suspended heavy weight.
-like is done in warships etc "shockmounts" for the intentionally heavy racks of instruments that have to survive impact and vibration

A while ago I put up on PF some test shots of a 200mm lens on M43, comparing, in a light breeze, a spindly old tripod with a Slik 700
- the difference was "terrible' to "quite OK"
with no weights.
09-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I'll try to find one to buy that is heavier duty but can be transported short distances easy enough.
So what happened to the "Weight is of no consequence. I could care less if it weighs at much as a truck". Because... I was going to suggest a 55 gallon barrel filled with concrete with a 4" pipe with NPT tread, stuck in it for the center post.
09-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So what happened to the "Weight is of no consequence. I could care less if it weighs at much as a truck". Because... I was going to suggest a 55 gallon barrel filled with concrete with a 4" pipe with NPT tread, stuck in it for the center post.
I'm not sure if you are kidding or serious but I'm not looking for something stationary that will always be left in the same spot like in the back yard. Perhaps I exaggerated saying as heavy as a truck, as if its going to be something stationary left in a backyard or something it could be quite heavy. I meant it won't be something that will have to be carrier around for long times, but I would like something that can be moved or put away. If 2 people can carry it, that would be fine though it would be nice if I could lift it myself (could be as heavy as 50 lbs but a lighter would be nice).

That does give me an idea about building one though. There is no reason I have to go with the tripod design. It could be more like a rigid stand reasonable wide at the top. That might help it be more stiff. Using steel pipe is still sticking in my head as an idea (more of a frame than a tripod perhaps).

09-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I missed the mobile part. Stick with a tripod design, it is popular for a reason.
09-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Tiltall TRIPOD Specifications
Head Type 3-Way Pan & Tilt
Max Height with extended column 70"
Max Height with closed column 60"
Minimum Height 28.3"
Closed Length 30"
Leg Sections 3
Max Load Capacity 20 lbs
Weight 6 lbs

Slik PRO Specifications
Head Type Pan Head with 4 independent movements
Max Height w/extended column 2280mm (89.8")
Max Height w/closed column 1,900mm (74.8")
Minimum Height 620mm (24.4")
Closed Length 760mm (29.9")
Leg Sections 3
Max Load Capacity 15 lbs.
Weight 7lb

I'd forgotten about the Tiltall... it is a classic Tiltall: The Definitive Tripod
09-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Tiltall TRIPOD Specifications
Head Type 3-Way Pan & Tilt
Max Height with extended column 70"
Max Height with closed column 60"
Minimum Height 28.3"
Closed Length 30"
Leg Sections 3
Max Load Capacity 20 lbs
Weight 6 lbs

Slik PRO Specifications
Head Type Pan Head with 4 independent movements
Max Height w/extended column 2280mm (89.8")
Max Height w/closed column 1,900mm (74.8")
Minimum Height 620mm (24.4")
Closed Length 760mm (29.9")
Leg Sections 3
Max Load Capacity 15 lbs.
Weight 7lb

I'd forgotten about the Tiltall... it is a classic Tiltall: The Definitive Tripod
Thanks for the info. I actually have a couple of tiltall ones in my watch list. Do you by chance know if they also made lighter duty ones (where I might accidentally get one by mistake if I'm not careful about the exact model), or were they all heavy duty like that?
09-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Thanks for the info. I actually have a couple of tiltall ones in my watch list. Do you by chance know if they also made lighter duty ones (where I might accidentally get one by mistake if I'm not careful about the exact model), or were they all heavy duty like that?
There are modern (new) Chinese made smaller models... but any of the older made in the USA ones are all the large ones. I was going to get a Tiltall 6 years ago, but ended up with the SLIK 700 DX, and I've been pleased with it.
09-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

If your after a cheap heavy tripod then you cant beat a builders/surveyors tripod made for laser and dumpy levels. At a fraction of the cost of other tripods but weighing substantially more one of these may fit your criteria. The one change that you would have to make is that the screw fitting used to secure levels on these tripods is usually a rather large 5/8".
They are easy to find in most tool shops or on line.
Glenn

Last edited by G and T; 09-27-2013 at 09:35 AM.
09-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After reading through all this something occurs to me that has not been mentioned. If you are looking for an absolutely no vibration mount then there is nothing better than a good old bean bag. Any tripod mount is going to have some vibration if there is any wind just from the wind pressure against the lens. The longer the lens the more that becomes a factor. But with a big bean bag, you can eliminate that as well.

Not sure if that would work for you but thought it should be mentioned.