Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A way to shoot without having to wear glasses.

I wear eyeglasses with corrective lenses. I find it inconvenient to shoot with them on, as the eye cup smudges my lens (eyeglass lens). Does anyone know of an eye cup or viewfinder in which you can add a corrective lens? If not, why has no one come up with one?! I'm the only one who EVER uses my camera, so why not make it easier for me to shoot?

09-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can certainly adjust the diopter and I think you can get (or at least you used to be able to) a higher diopter eyepiece from Pentax. But if you are asking about more complex corrections I don't know. My prescription is within the diopter adjustment of the k-5 so I adjust it to my eye without glasses, and then take mine off to shoot. I realize that's not possible for everyone but a correctly adjusted diopter can help.

Here is the adapter I was thinking off: PENTAX Diopter Correction Lens Adapter M reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database no idea if it is still available though.
09-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only thing that makes my classes dirtier than my cameras is my grand daughter. I certainly have the same issue and it is dam hard to clean the glasses without cleaner.
09-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm long sighted and need specs for reading, PC screen and all close up work. I adjust the dioptre on my K-7 for when my glasses are off.
Same as my Pentax binoculars, adjusted for bare eyes

09-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

My K5 is just within range of my bad eyes. I'm both long and short sighted. If you can see, but have a hard time seeing, then maybe a magnifying eyecup could help you like it helped me?

My granddad was a pro photography who had all his Nikon lenses custom corrected for his eyesight.
09-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

And i suffer from astigmatism..

So no point adjusting the diopter for me... *sob*
09-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
And i suffer from astigmatism..

So no point adjusting the diopter for me... *sob*
I suffer from astigmatism too, I was playing around with and old pair of prescription glasses, I did disassemble the right lens and placed against the view finder, it seems to work fine, now I need to cut the lens and some how mount it on an eye cup that I bought on ebay, still work in progress, ideally I would like to be able to rotate the eye cup along with the adapted lens when the camera is vertical

09-19-2013, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Most eye care labs can make a lens for a diopter eye cup to your specs. Just ask your eye doctor.
09-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Do you have a leftover old pair of glasses? I asked my local optician/shopowner to cut a lens which I then inserted under the rubber covering the eyecup. Sort of similar to what @magkelly suggested.
09-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax SMC -3 Diopter Correction Lens with M Adapter, can be found on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Pentax SMC -3 Diopter Correction Lens with M Adapter: Camera & Photo

Although, it says $11.13 for the price of the object, shipping is over rated at $20 and change. Comes from Japan. UGH!!
09-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Maybe another option is one of those large eyecups, similar to those used on the Swivi/Flashpoint/VF-4 viewfinder, but which fits the eyepiece, if you can find one. I remember other eyeglass wearers saying that a big eyecup is better because it contacts the edge of their glasses, instead of near the center, causing less smudging.

I am a -11.0 in my shooting eye, fortunately I can wear contact lenses and am correctable to near 20/20. The pesky floaters are another problem however ....
09-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Maybe another option is one of those large eyecups, similar to those used on the Swivi/Flashpoint/VF-4 viewfinder, but which fits the eyepiece, if you can find one. I remember other eyeglass wearers saying that a big eyecup is better because it contacts the edge of their glasses, instead of near the center, causing less smudging.

I am a -11.0 in my shooting eye, fortunately I can wear contact lenses and am correctable to near 20/20. The pesky floaters are another problem however ....
As long as they are the softer rubber. Some cheap ebay ones had a hard edge to them that was uncomfortable to use.
09-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I've posted in another forum about my poor eyesight, but I'll tell you here too. I have cataracts in both eyes, and high pressure in both, in Oct. I'm going in to get the high pressure taken care of, in the mean time, I shoot without glasses and use AF for all my photography. The K30 does an excellent job of getting things in focus. If you can, you should try it. I have my dial set to M, and chose which shutter speed and aperture I want. I also use spot metering, most times, but have shot with center-weighted.
09-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
The pesky floaters are another problem however ....
Oh yeah, you are not alone, the frigging things are annoying as hell. We need to to invent a floater zapping laser... or a pill.