Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eye Piece Rubber Deterioration

The Eye Piece Rubber deteriorates fast as it comes in touch with facial oils very frequently. Some climate and weather condition makes the rubber rot faster too. Here is what I do to extend its life:-
a) gently push the eyepiece up till it dislodges from the groove on the eyepiece body on the camera.
b) remove the tiny black screws (2 nos) and keep it in a coffee mug so that it is not lost.
c) the rubber eye piece is sandwiched between two plastic plates. Remove the plastic plates.
d) now coat the rubber profusely with talcum powder. Make sure you have enough of the powder in the grooves. Shake out the excess talcum powder, but do not clean it out with a cloth, as we want a liberal coating on the rubber.
e) put the plastic plates back in so that the rubber eyepiece is sandwiched in between the plates. You can't go wrong - it is so simple.
f) put the screws back. Don't over tighten as it screws into plastic, a much softer material.
g) line it up in the grooves on the eyepiece body and push down gently till it bottoms.

Link to the photo: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kf1q1gplpnicn3i/ts5TyYHsVp

NOTES: i) all cameras use JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws and threads. The JIS screws look a lot like Philips cross head screws but they
are not. Try and use a JIS Screw Driver as shown in the photo. A Philips screw driver will work but be careful and apply pressure firmly.
ii) some folks prefer rubber and plastic conditioners available in a spray can. These are silicone based rubber conditioners that give it a
new like shine / gloss.

09-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I know that talcum powder can be mixed with silicone grease and used on things like rubber car door seals to extend their lifetime. The silicone keeps the rubber from drying out, while the talc reduces friction with the door.

But do you know if the talc by itself will really extend the life of the eyepiece? It would seem to maybe help absorb surface oils for a while, but then it would just kind of sit there, and maybe worse, spread dust around in your camera bag. I don't know.
09-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a very fine pollics JIS screwdriver.
I am not sure if I would be so concerned about the life of the rubber bits. By the time they deteriorate, the semi-conductors will most likely be done also. Just my 2C worth.

Cheers.