Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often do you have a tripod with you?
All the time; it's glued to my camera. 65.66%
About 90% of the time. 2422.64%
About half-half. 2725.47%
Rarely; only if I really need to. 4340.57%
It's been gathering dust since I bought it. 65.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a tripod whenever possible. Apart from the reasons already stated: Low light, ISO80 for max DR, slow shutter speeds, etc... I also find that pictures with SR on are slighty blurred in comparisson to pictures without SR. For pixelpeepers (admitted: pixelpeepers like me) the difference is quite dramatic even.

It's often funny to see how much time, money and effort people spend on finding and upgrading lenses because they are just the tiniest amount sharper, but then those people can't be bother with using a tripod, which would actually have a bigger impact on the improved IQ.

09-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For my nature walks I always take a small lightweight tripod that I thread through my camera bag's shoulder strap. For events like birthday parties or school functions then no. Too cumbersome to set up for fast moving dynamic action. I need to be moving with the action.
09-27-2013, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Admitting that they will render better shots, well, at least sharper, not necessarily better...I place tripods in the same category as condoms. They have their benefits, but are hardly worth the trouble and frustration. Then again, there are those times, looking back, you say "damn I should have used a........."

Regards!
09-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Admitting that they will render better shots, well, at least sharper, not necessarily better...I place tripods in the same category as condoms. They have their benefits, but are hardly worth the trouble and frustration. Then again, there are those times, looking back, you say "damn I should have used a........."

Regards!
Wow! I don't think I'll look at my tripod the same way now!

09-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
From the poll it seems there are alot that rarely use tripods. But the comments are coming from those that have them all the time.

My question is why it with you when you are going to shoot landscape on a broad daylight for example? How does having a tripod make for a better picture?

I have two by the way and I use them to mount flash or for pictures that include or long exposure shots.
Using a tripod allows for:
1. examining the entire frame for critical composition, and
2. examining for foreign elements (power poles?), and
3. allowing flexibility in f/stop for controlling depth of field, and
4. removing any motion from the camera - shake reduction is just that - reduction, not elimination.
09-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Assuming you mean any kind of steady camera support that is attached via the tripod socket, the answer is that it is rare that I don't have something with me. At a minimum this is a clamp in my camera bag. Now having something with me and using it are two entirely different things. Whether or not I am using a previously defined device is entirely dependent on both the scene and my intended use of my subsequent image.
09-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Every day, I schlep the Q along in the briefcase - and no tripod.

Traveling for non-photographic reasons, I'll have a Gorillapod in the bag. The one that can take a (small) DSLR such as the K-01. As that Gorillapod has 3 legs, it's a tripod I used to always schlep a Gitzo monopod along, but the Gorillapod was a better option to keep in the carry-on, especially since September 11, 2001, when the world went bat-guano crazy when unjustified paranoia, and monopods became prohibited as carry-ons on airplanes.

Going anywhere for photographic reasons, and I always have a tripod with me. That, and the hood, are the most important (but under-evaluated) components in a photographic system, for improving the IQ.

Last edited by Blue; 10-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.
09-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
monopods became prohibited as carry-ons on airplanes.
Not so, at least as a general statement. Since the increased regulations I have been to Europe three times and South America once, plus a substantial number of domestic flights within the United States. I think the dreaded letters TSA are well known internationally by now to travellers. My monopod has accompanied me unhindered on every one of the above trips.

I have a sturdy Manfrotto aluminum monopod that collapses sufficiently to pack inside my carry-on sized roller suitcase. One perhaps important thing about my monopod is that it does not have a spike foot. It has only a (much repaired) plastic boot. Now my spouse has a similarly sized cane in her roller suitcase. The two differences between my monopod and her cane is that it obviously has both a vertical grip like my monopod plus a traditional cane style head, and it has a rubber boot that can be removed to expose a carbide spike. Security personnel have, at most, made sure the rubber boot was securely attached (as in I'm not sure if my spouse is strong enough to easily remove it).

I think the key difference to security personnel is how easily a monopod could be deployed as a weapon aboard an aircraft. Make no mistake, my monopod would become a brutal club at need, but I would hope people aboard an aircraft would take exception at me removing my bag from the overhead bin, extracting my monopod and extending it to suitable length during a flight.
09-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Half + Half

I voted for half the time, and that's no exaggeration. It and my monopod are always in the trunk of the car and I also have a used tripod at home for testing lenses and tabletop work.
But it also depends on the type of photography you're doing. For street photography it's too obvious, for working in crowds, it gets kicked and slows everyone down. For musical venues and sports a monopod is much handier and works well down to about 1/15s.
For scenics, sunrises and sunsets, landscapes, most macro work, night, bracketing, time exposures, big lenses and panning, it's essential to me. YMMV.
Ron
09-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Not so, at least as a general statement. Since the increased regulations I have been to Europe three times and South America once, plus a substantial number of domestic flights within the United States. I think the dreaded letters TSA are well known internationally by now to travellers. My monopod has accompanied me unhindered on every one of the above trips.
Great for you. I'm not saying that you're a liar, but it's different from my experience ...

Since 2001, I've had run-ins with the goons from the TSA in JFK, ORD, MCO and SFO, all of whom objected to my carrying on a monopod and using the dreaded T-word, until I got the clue....which was to (i) go to TSAland as little as possible, and (ii) don't carry a monopod around.

For the record, CDG (France) is also a troublesome airport, despite it not being staffed with TSA goons, whereas I've not had difficulties in NRT, FRA, CPH even with a (sturdy) tripod.

Point being, no, you can't make a "general statement" - I agree with you there.

You may hit an airport, a checkpoint or a TSA-goon who's having a good day and letting your chainsaw-equipped tripod through in carry-on....or, you may encounter a TSA-goon who thinks that you're a ter'rist for carrying a camera in the first place.

Given the hit-and-miss of airport "security", the only general statement that really can be made (other than that the current state airport "security" a joke in itself) is, that "you may run into trouble if you schlep along a monopod, so be prepared for it to happen and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't"

Not that it matters, but I fly intercontinentally about 4 times/month, and intra-european about weekly, since 1998ish or so...
09-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I think in general the security paranoia has eased a bit over the last few years, at least where normal photographic equipment is concerned. In the few years after 2001, I had numerous hassles with TSA over things like tripods and such. In the last few years, they seem to understand the equipment and don't bug me so much, and never ask to look through the lenses any more or justify the tripod. Occasionally I still trigger a bag check but as soon as they identify what it is, they send me on my way. Of course, I have lightened the load a lot of late. I am currently traveling around the cool coast and hill country of Hokkaido and didn't even bring the big tripod, just the RRS mini. It works fine as long as I am careful where and how I set it up and stay away from really long lenses, which I never use for landscape and travel photos anyway.
09-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #42
Veteran Member

How often do you have a tripod with you?

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I think in general the security paranoia has eased a bit over the last few years, at least where normal photographic equipment is concerned. In the few years after 2001, I had numerous hassles with TSA over things like tripods and such. In the last few years, they seem to understand the equipment and don't bug me so much, and never ask to look through the lenses any more or justify the tripod. Occasionally I still trigger a bag check but as soon as they identify what it is, they send me on my way. Of course, I have lightened the load a lot of late. I am currently traveling around the cool coast and hill country of Hokkaido and didn't even bring the big tripod, just the RRS mini. It works fine as long as I am careful where and how I set it up and stay away from really long lenses, which I never use for landscape and travel photos anyway.
I think that you hit the nail on the head: you have the impression that "they" have eased up, because you have "lightened the load" (and, changed your expectations - or, possibly, handed over your privacy and life on a silver plater by signing up for pre-clear....).
09-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I haven't handed over anything. If I was still traveling every week, I'd probably have signed up for Clear. Since I retired, my air travel has dropped to once a month or less and it just isn't worth the hassle. I don't even have my gold status any more for the first time in about 15 years. I don't get upgrades like the old days so just pay or use accumulated FF miles for the front cabin. Guess I have just gotten easier going in my dotage.
09-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #44
Forum Member

I thought I was the lazy one
09-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It's often funny to see how much time, money and effort people spend on finding and upgrading lenses because they are just the tiniest amount sharper, but then those people can't be bother with using a tripod, which would actually have a bigger impact on the improved IQ.

Very true. Your post reminded me of a conversation I had with one of the members of my camera club years ago. He wanted to know why my animal shots were sharper and more colorful than his. (I was doing a lot of shooting at our zoo back then.) I told him that I used to have the same problems he was having, so I switched to ASA 50 slide film. He said, "50? I shoot nothing but 400!" I then explained that using film that slow put my shutter speeds into a range where I could no longer hand-hold my telephoto, so I had to start shooting everything from a tripod. He said, "I hate tripods! That's the reason why I shoot ASA 400 film...so I won't have to use one!" I tried to explain it a bit more, but he never did really get it.