Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often do you have a tripod with you?
All the time; it's glued to my camera. 65.66%
About 90% of the time. 2422.64%
About half-half. 2725.47%
Rarely; only if I really need to. 4340.57%
It's been gathering dust since I bought it. 65.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 05:07 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost always have a tripod in the back of my car and I use one pretty religiously. However, there was a time when I used a tripod for EVERYTHING I shot. As I said in my earlier post, accepting that the use of a tripod was a necessary evil was probably one of the things that moved my photography forward more than just about any other single change in my shooting habits. But what it cost me over time, was a certain degree of spontaneity or....um..whimsy...in my shots. I guess the best way to put it is that everything looked too premeditated...and that's probably because it was. When digital came out, I started shooting everything by hand because I could just raise the ISO up to a range where I could get a decent shutter speed. That wasn't ideal, either, because I could see where some shots would have benefited from having been shot at a lower ISO, if I had only taken the time. So now I'm trying to strike a happy medium between "tripod" and "no tripod". I try to use my tripod and a low ISO when the situation calls for it, but I also want to hang onto that freedom of allowing myself to carry my camera and shoot "just because".

09-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Great for you. I'm not saying that you're a liar, but it's different from my experience ...

Since 2001, I've had run-ins with the goons from the TSA in JFK, ORD, MCO and SFO, all of whom objected to my carrying on a monopod and using the dreaded T-word, until I got the clue....which was to (i) go to TSAland as little as possible, and (ii) don't carry a monopod around.

For the record, CDG (France) is also a troublesome airport, despite it not being staffed with TSA goons, whereas I've not had difficulties in NRT, FRA, CPH even with a (sturdy) tripod.

Point being, no, you can't make a "general statement" - I agree with you there.
Interesting. Except for JFK, I've originated flights through every one of the airports in your list and a bunch more. My monopod (inside my roller bag) has been pulled out for visual examination no more than twice. At most I have been asked to verbally confirm that my monopod does not have a spike foot before going back into my roller bag and I'm sent to my gate.

Might I ask how you carry your monopod into security, and whether or not it has a spike foot? I'm wondering if it looks too much like either a ski-pole or back-country walking stick, neither of which are permitted inside the cabin?
09-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do available light hand held more than anything else, but I always have a tripod and a monopod in the car.
I am only just starting to learn how important these tools are in pulling the best IQ you can out of a given situation.
09-30-2013, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #49
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

At least 98 % of the time I don't have my car anywhere near when I take photos, so having a tripod there wouldn't be much of a point

Almost all I do is available light hand held, out on foot somewhere. Lugging a tripod along is not something I'm willing to do, the same as I don't have any fast zooms because they are too big and heavy. It would simply result in the camera being left at home - which would hardly help the quality of my pictures.

So, yes, I'm fully aware that a tripod is an essential tool for a lot of shooting. But then I either define that kind of shooting as out of my scope, or I accept the fact that I can't achieve the level of technical quality I could have with a tripod.

Photography is a set of compromises. Portability is an important factor in my set.

09-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Photography is a set of compromises. Portability is an important factor in my set.
I’m in the same boat. The thought of using a tripod for all my shooting would be painful to say the least. It’s just not practical or possible for me to use one all the time.

This is coming from someone who has five Manfrotto tripod/head combinations.

Phil

Last edited by gofour3; 09-30-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
09-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
At least 98 % of the time I don't have my car anywhere near when I take photos, so having a tripod there wouldn't be much of a point

Almost all I do is available light hand held, out on foot somewhere.
What kind of things do you shoot?
09-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #52
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
What kind of things do you shoot?
Oh, everything and nothing, landscapes and wildlife being the favorites. The reason I don't have my car around most of the time is that I simply don't drive much. I enjoy walking and hiking, going by public transport if I can. And if I do drive, it's to get somewhere, park the car and set off on foot. I suppose it's a Norwegian thing

Of course, this means that photography will never be my primary concern. It's a hobby to enjoy, but not to the degree where it makes hiking or traveling unpleasant. So no tripod, no heavy lenses.

Had I been serious about photography on my safaris I would probably have had a couple of Nikon bodies with a 200-400 and a 600, but I'm not willing to pay for an extra seat on the bush planes

09-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #53

I'm amazed with my k50 how low a speed I can go hand held but if I want to be sertain of a pin sharp image I use the tripod. The one I use is about thirty year old no fancy bits on it but it's heavy and solid and that's all I need it stays in the boot of the car but if I leave the car the tripod goes in my hand it's a pain but at the end of the day what matters is a sharp shot.
09-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
As I said in my earlier post, accepting that the use of a tripod was a necessary evil was probably one of the things that moved my photography forward more than just about any other single change in my shooting habits. But what it cost me over time, was a certain degree of spontaneity or....um..whimsy...in my shots.
I can identify with this. I enjoy hand-held shooting more for the freedom to explore new angles, to discover new vantage points, to place the camera in places where tripod use would be unfeasible. That said, I still use a tripod for about 98%+ of my landscape photography when shooting with a DSLR (it's about 33% when shooting with smaller, non DSLR cameras). For non landscape photography, I rarely nowadays shoot with a tripod. Ironically, whereas my landscape photography is mostly with wide angle glass, my non-landscape photography is almost entirely without wide angle glass: it's lenses like the K 50/1.2, the DFA 100 macro, the DA* 300. Doesn't longer glass benefit more from tripod use? Well, if all else is equal, yes; but all else is not equal. I need the tripod for landscape use because I shoot landscapes at ISO 80, f8, often with ND or polarizer filters, in evening or early morning light. With my DA* 300, I'm mostly shooting critters, often at the zoo (where tripods are not allowed). I can get tack sharp images, at f4 to f5.6, ISO 400 to 1600, in fairly decent mid-morning light to mid-afternoon light. I have found Pentax's SR to be almost 100% reliable with the DA* 300 at speeds 1/250 per second or greater. And I don't find I need the low ISO for critters, provided I'm shooting in overcast light. Even at ISO 1600, there's plenty of dynamic range for critters.

So unlike those shooters who use tripods for longer glass because longer glass is more susceptible to hand-held shake, I go the other direction and shoot with tripods for wide angle glass and hand-held for telephoto.
09-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #55
Veteran Member

The fact that I do a lot of day time long exposures requires me to take the carbon fibre tripod along with me even when I drive to a location , it never stays in the boot.
10-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Interesting. Except for JFK, I've originated flights through every one of the airports in your list and a bunch more. My monopod (inside my roller bag) has been pulled out for visual examination no more than twice. At most I have been asked to verbally confirm that my monopod does not have a spike foot before going back into my roller bag and I'm sent to my gate.

Might I ask how you carry your monopod into security, and whether or not it has a spike foot? I'm wondering if it looks too much like either a ski-pole or back-country walking stick, neither of which are permitted inside the cabin?
Well, I fly through a lot of airports too, and the problems have been most pronounced in TSAland, whereas most airports in the free world (free from TSA, that is) give no problems. That said, you just need the risk of one airport on your journey being of the "we shall confiscate your <expensive-widget>" to ruin your trip and leave it at home (I don't check a bag if I can avoid It -- and if I did check a bag it'd have been gone by the time of the encounter with the TSA goon....)

My monopod is a Gitzo all-metal, collapses to, uh, 40ish cm. No spikes anywhere, I don't even have a spoke foot. Fits inside rollaboard just fine.....it's been a while since I brought it along to TSAland, since I had enough, but the TSA goons have described it as "contraband", "a bat" "a club" and such....

Of course, the real solution would be to get rid of the TSA altogether. While you work on that......I'll keep recommending not carrying on a monopod when flying through TSAland airports.
10-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Well, I fly through a lot of airports too, and the problems have been most pronounced in TSAland, whereas most airports in the free world (free from TSA, that is) give no problems. That said, you just need the risk of one airport on your journey being of the "we shall confiscate your <expensive-widget>" to ruin your trip and leave it at home (I don't check a bag if I can avoid It -- and if I did check a bag it'd have been gone by the time of the encounter with the TSA goon....)

My monopod is a Gitzo all-metal, collapses to, uh, 40ish cm. No spikes anywhere, I don't even have a spoke foot. Fits inside rollaboard just fine.....it's been a while since I brought it along to TSAland, since I had enough, but the TSA goons have described it as "contraband", "a bat" "a club" and such....

Of course, the real solution would be to get rid of the TSA altogether. While you work on that......I'll keep recommending not carrying on a monopod when flying through TSAland airports.
Must be the white thatch on my head - maybe they treat it as a 'walking assistance device' rather than a 'photographic device'. Obviously living in the U.S.A. I have to deal with TSA on every domestic and at least out-bound, international flight, My monopod is a Manfrotto 3006 'junior'. With both the mini ball-head and quick release mounted, it measures 54cm. NEVER had a problem. Next trip, fake a limp?
10-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Must be the white thatch on my head - maybe they treat it as a 'walking assistance device' rather than a 'photographic device'. Obviously living in the U.S.A. I have to deal with TSA on every domestic and at least out-bound, international flight,
Mu condoleances....

QuoteQuote:
My monopod is a Manfrotto 3006 'junior'. With both the mini ball-head and quick release mounted, it measures 54cm. NEVER had a problem. Next trip, fake a limp?
Hmm, I know that the TSA goons aren't the sharpest knives in the block, but don't you think that even they would frown on the perspective of a three-legged or tree-armed passenger.....?

I used to head to the US about a dozen or so times per year for work, and 1-2 times/year for vacation. Since the TSA started treating visitors like criminals, I've been really good a teleconferencing, have gotten to see an awful lot of Canada (better place to organize meetings, conventions, conferences - you may even get a smile out of customs officer there) and really developed business in asia.

The upshot: heading to Korea, Japan and the like for vacation, nobody frowns at a camera or a tripod (yes, sturdy tripod!) being carried on,....
10-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #59
Veteran Member

... The upshot: heading to Korea, Japan and the like for vacation, nobody frowns at a camera or a tripod (yes, sturdy tripod!) being carried on,....
Just a heads up. I am on Hokkaido now but headed back down to Narita for return home on Friday. We have been experiencing the fringes of a tropical storm passing just offshore to the east for the last couple of days. Lots of rain and some wind. The forecast for NRT on Friday is wind and rain - should make for an interesting take-off and climb out. If you are arriving this week, be prepared for some rain.
10-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Just a heads up. I am on Hokkaido now but headed back down to Narita for return home on Friday. We have been experiencing the fringes of a tropical storm passing just offshore to the east for the last couple of days. Lots of rain and some wind. The forecast for NRT on Friday is wind and rain - should make for an interesting take-off and climb out. If you are arriving this week, be prepared for some rain.
So.. a tripod is recommended then :P