Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BG-4 w/AA batteries saved my trip!

On a recent vacation I was saved by the AA battery tray in the BG-4. As I was switching lenses I noticed that my battery was low. When I switched my battery to the body instead of the grip I was shocked to find that it was also dead!

No big deal I thought, I will finish out the day (day 3 of 9) with one battery and charge them when I get back to the hotel. Then it hit me, I FORGOT THE CHARGER!!!

As I started to panic I remembered that I slipped the AA tray for the grip into my camera bag. I asked the wife to go back into the store and spend whatever amount of money she had to to buy 6 AA batteries. I replaced the dead battery with the AA's and never looked back! The AA batteries lasted the rest of the trip without issue. I was surprised that they lasted as long as they did!

Thanks to the folks at Pentax for making a great product and saving my vacation! I would highly recommend the grip as a NECESSITY to all K-5 owners!

09-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ha Ha. Cool. If I told my wife to spend whatever she wanted on 6AA batteries, there would be a new handbag included in the price and the batteries would still be back at the store.
09-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

unfortunately, my AA tray always sits at home.
09-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I carry almost everything I own photographically in my backpack Including two flashes, battery pack, 20 Eneloops including the eight in the flashes and three or four Li-ON's.

Last edited by tabl10s; 10-01-2013 at 11:04 PM.
10-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
K-30 and previously K-r. I have 3 AA adapters. 2 adapters are loaded with eneloops, my flashes are loaded with eneloops, and I carry Sanyo's compact international voltage 'smart' charger for all. The total travel weight and space is less than if I had a mix of LiON batteries and Pentax charger plus AA's for the flash and charger. And like OP, I can always grab non-rechargable AA's if necessary. The 3rd adapter was modified into an AC adapter for a fraction of the price of Pentax's official AC adapter.