Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
(And yet another) Help me choose between this 3 tripod legs

Iīve searched and read the thousands of threads about buying / choosing / stealing / considering a tripod... Yet I can not make up mi mind to buy a new one.
I do have an old Velbon DF50 (Velbon DF-50 Tripod W/Panhead DF50/F B&H Photo Video) which I use indoors and works ok with the K-5 and prime lenses.
Outdoor I have been using my Gorillapod SLR Zoom (JOBY GorillaPod SLR-Zoom - Portable, flexible tripod for telephoto lens cameras) with the ballhead (JOBY GorillaPod Ballhead - Ballhead stabalizes your camera and it allows it to take pictures at any angle).
I also use a pair of hicking poles which double as monopods (Mountainsmith Trekker FX Monopod) even as a tripod when combined, given the right terrain conditions. I can also attach the joby ballhead to the monopod and itīs great.
I really like this combo because I couldnīt carry much more camera gear weight when hiking or backpacking even if I wanted. But I would like to have a more solid tripod for general.
So I need a good tripod to replace the Velbon.. But I canīt afford to spend the U$D300 everyone seems to recommend...
So, what about this two tripod legs?

Slik PRO 700 DX - U$D100
Slik 700DX Pro Tripod Legs (Black) 615-317 B&H Photo Video
Photographic tripods monopods and accessories - Sliktripod.co.uk

Induro Alloy 8M AT213 - U$D140
Induro Alloy 8M AT213 Tripod 472-213 B&H Photo Video
Induro AT213 ALLOY 8M AT-Series Tripods | Cat #472-213

Notice Iīll be using the Joby ballhead I already have for the moment.. How bad is that?
The slik one is cheaper and heavier at 2.7Kg which is a good thing for stability, bad for carrying arround
The Induro weighs 2Kg, has more features like interchangeable spike feets, moisture and dust resistent leg locks

Thanks in advance...
Francisco

10-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice here. They both look like pretty good sets of legs. There are folks in my camera club who use Slik and Induro tripods and seem to be pretty happy with them. Of the two, the Induro seems to be the better option. It goes higher without center column extension, can go closer to the ground, and folds up shorter. Folding up shorter and being lighter weight = easier to carry. But...for the $30 price difference, it looks like you could buy a second JOBY ballhead for the Slik or maybe put a little more money with it and buy a more substantial head. As far as functionality and durability, I doubt you'd see much of a difference between the two sets of legs.
10-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your answer Tao... Iīll try to get a better head as I save some money
10-01-2013, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Help me choose between this 3 tripod legs
A tripod needs all three legs.

<sorry but someone needed to make that quip>

10-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, does anybody has any expierence with the Flashpoint tripods? I think itīs adoramaīs brand. They have a special offer on the Flashpoint F-1228 Version II Carbon Fiber Tripod for 99U$D instead of U$D180....
Flashpoint CF1228N Carbon Fiber Tripod,Supports 17.6Lbs F1228N

If itīs no good, I am set on the Induro AT213

@Adam, do you know about them?
10-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I am not familiar with the first one, but I can confirm first-hand that Induro are the same as the cheaper Dolica. I suggest you save some money and consider the proline 62 from that manufacturer. A colleague has an Induro and I own the 40$ dolica. They are identical.
10-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, does anybody has any expierence with the Flashpoint tripods?
Sorry, not familiar with them. I saw that deal, though, and it looked very tempting. I read the reviews on Adorama and also on Amazon. Even the worst ones had semi-decent things to say about the tripod. The biggest complaints seemed to be about the quality of construction.

10-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the carbon fiber Flashpoint is tempting but cosntruction quality does seem to be an issue.

I dinīt know about Dolica, very nice reviews and low price point. I am amazed about it being the same as Induro!
Adorama has an offer on the 68" model (I guess about 57" without center column extended) for U$D60 down from U$D80. Dolica 68" Professional Tripod with Ball Head AX680B001

Itīs 20 bucks more than the 62" version but it includes a better ball head and the extra 6" does make a difference for me.
From the manufacturer, they are 52" and 58" tall without center column extended.
http://www.dolica.com/products/AX620B100.html
http://www.dolica.com/ax680b001-68-professional-tripod-with-ball-head/

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I just saved a lot of money!

Last edited by carrrlangas; 10-14-2013 at 11:53 AM.
10-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Itīs 20 bucks more than the 62" version but it includes a better ball head
The ballhead from the Dolica I own, it ok, but no more than that. It will hold the camera steady, but will sag when you set it, meaning it's little use for macro. It works for landscapes. I bought a good quality head and use it daily with my Dolica legs, with good success.
02-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: The Dolica was unfortunately lost in transit.. Couldnīt be without a tripod anymore so I ended up buying the Induro AT213 (U$D 140) and Vanguard BH-100 ballhead (U$D60). Really good combo at 2Kg.
When all set and fully extended (w/o center column), the VF sits above my eye (I am 1,74m) so I can retract the last section quite a bit. This gives even better stability. I made a mark on the last section so that the height is perfect for me.

Thanks again for the advice