Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a lot to ask from a camera bag, but...

I currently use a Lowepro Slingshot. A few months back, I spent 4 weeks as the photographer for a Law Enforcement Adventure Camp here in Raleigh. Let's just say my back isn't great. Having to carry around a camera bag and laptop bag really hurt my back.I like the Lowepro, except for how the weight is distributed. It's hard having all the weight of the camera bag on my right shoulder. I also had to carry my laptop bag. All of this equipment was very hard to fit in the patrol cars. I would love being able to combine all of this equipment into one backpack. The backpack would be easier on my back as the weight would be equally distributed on both shoulders. I like to have all of my gear oraganized in different compartments (I have OCD). I watched DigitalRev's camera bag durability test (Crumpler, Domke, Lowepro, China bag) I really liked the Domke and Lowepro.

I realize this is a lot to ask of a camera bag, but I'd like something that's a bcakpack style camera bag, can hold a laptop, has different compartments, and is durable. If it were a Domke or Lowepro, that be great. Extra compartments would be a nice feature. I also don't want to spend too much. I can't seem to narrow down options online, I'd like to see what yall think. Which camera bags do yall like?

10-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much stuff will you be carrying in it? What size of laptop? Enough gear to make your shoulder sore means you should look for a backpack with a waist strap that can transfer some of that weight to your hips. No idea about Domke or Lowepro, since I only use Kata bags (and I have 11 of them!), but for my big pano gear, I break out the (removable) waist strap...

NOT my image (I don't have a D70!), but look at those nice, padded waist straps! Ahh...
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

IF you'd also like a hydration bladder, I love, LOVE my Clik-Elite Pro Body Sport. Before that bag, I had a Lowepro Slingshot. I sold it shortly after using the Clik-Elite for a 10-day trek at WDW. Mine does not have the computer sleeve, but you can that same bag with a laptop sleeve.

No matter what though, you WANT the hip straps, as panoguy mentions. It saved my back at WDW.
10-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think it's too much to ask. I travel extensively for business and I wanted a camera bag that did triple duty as a laptop bag, camera bag and carry on. I found one that fit the bill for me. It's a personal choice though so I recommend reading the review section here and watching YouTube videos of people stuffing things into the bags you're interested in. Most will say that one bag is never enough but I haven't looked back since getting my case logic backpack. It goes everywhere with me. I just reconfigure the insides depending on what I'm doing and what gear I need.

Last edited by HockeyDad; 10-02-2013 at 07:14 PM.
10-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the lowepro 250. It has a compartment for your laptop, it is comfortable and you can fit a lot of equipment
10-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting Thread I am looking for the same - 14.1" Laptop / Ipad / Camera body / couple of lenses (one larger tele 60-250) / flash / accessories (CPL/ND/batteries/cords/chargers/etc). I was looking at a Crumpler Sinking Barge 13" Olive/Orange not sure it will fit all I want but there are bigger models. Will watch this thread with interest.
10-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I have the lowepro 250. It has a compartment for your laptop, it is comfortable and you can fit a lot of equipment
Is that the LowePro Event Messenger? That's actually not a huge bag, but it is /very/ roomy and nicely organized: holds two K-01 and a collection of Limited's, as well as an iPad or small laptop, quite nicely.

Not sure if that was the LowePro you were referring to, but if it is, I recommend it.

10-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a backpack:
Fastpack 250 Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
10-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #9

If you like both Lowepro and the type of bag Panoguy posted, you may want to check out Lowepro's Flipside models.
When I go out on hikes I either carry my K5 plus sigma 170-500 in a bag with a single shoulder strap, or my full kit (which includes a tripod, a spotting scope, and some extra stuff) in a Flipside AW 400. Despite the fact my full kit is a lot heavier, this combination is a lot easier on my back due to the waist bands and weight distibution indeed. Only thing you might want to make sure in advance if the outside compartment is big enough for your particular laptop.
10-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Check out the Naneu Pro series. I use the K3L. Has all the features you have mentioned including cup holder, no seriously.

May come in at a better price point:
http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/adventure/k3l

Notice it has now been updated to the K4L. Review seems almost the same.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 10-02-2013 at 11:08 PM.
10-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I have the larger Fastpack 350 and love it. If you slip your right arm out of the shoulder strap, you can swing it around your body like a sling bag and easily access your camera from the side.

Tim
10-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Get a great walking backpack well suited to your body (and your back), then get an insert for the camera and gear.

for instance I use this bag (in blue):

Rucksacks : Lynx 28 : McKINLEY : Outdoor Equipment

And this insert, which fits perfectly in the bottom compartment:

Amazon.com: Ape Case Cubeze Interior Case for Cameras - Black/Yellow ( ACQB37): Electronics

The top section can carry an hydration pouch, a laptop, a jacket, food, etc. 28 litres is a great format for a day out. The bag is comfortable, has a mesh back so it breathes, it has good hip support, etc. Deuter makes almost exactly the same bag, for a lot more money

In short, get a great bag then fit an insert in it.
10-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

Bdery's suggestion is a great idea as well. Before I bought my Clik-Elite bag, I found a really nice daypack backpack on sale, then picked up an inexpensive insert. This was a great solution.
10-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You have a bad back and you want to use a backpack? Ditto, but nah, that would be too harsh on my back. I prefer a cross body military messenger bag with a removable insert for lightweight traveling. I use a rolling case I've outfitted with foam when I have to take a lot of stuff. It's a lot less taxing on my back than a backpack. Cross body takes the load off mostly, but if I have a ton of stuff I need wheels...
10-03-2013, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You have a bad back and you want to use a backpack? Ditto, but nah, that would be too harsh on my back.
Usually, using a bag with good hip support solves a large part of the back pain problem.