Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Domke F2 for storing all my gear

I have a bunch of differently-sized camera bags that I generally use when I'm out and about with various kit configurations, but now I'm looking for a generously sized bag that can hold most or all of my gear at home in one place for storage. The idea is that all of my commonly used gear goes in this bag, organized where I know where everything is. When I need to carry my gear somewhere, I take stuff out and use my smaller bags. Everything goes back in the "big" bag when I get home.

I've always admired the Domke bags, and I'm looking at the F2. It's not something I can go touch and feel, I will have to order it online as there aren't any resellers that I'm aware of in Finland that have them in stock. It's always hard looking at camera bag specs and online photos and judging whether the bag will work for your gear or not. My most commonly used gear is in my signature which I would want to keep in the bag, with the exception of the Vivitar 283 flash and film bodies. There are also some smaller gadgets like a Gorillapod (original), Lensalign target, lens pens, battery charger for K-5, USB cable, few filters, etc, that I would want to keep in this bag.

My longest lenses are the 250/4.5 Soligor screwmount and M80-200/4.5. In the future, I might get a DA* 60-250 to replace both of these, but I'm not planning on anything bigger. Very soon I will add a Sigma 17-50/2.8 EX HSM as a replacement for the kit DA 18-55, and I'd like to add a few DA Limiteds, the 15, 21 and 70. Luckily the Limiteds and my M primes take little space and can be stacked. The "replaced" lenses will not be kept in the bag.

Would an F2 suit my needs?

10-07-2013, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I think you need a larger bag to fit everything nice and comfortably. The F-1X is a "little bit bigger".

Domke makes a solid bag. I have the F-5XA in Olive Drab. I absolutely love the bag. It sees usage 99% of the tie out of all my bags. The quality of the materials and components are top notch. When I need a new bag, I am without a doubt buying another Domke.
10-08-2013, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #3

I have two Domke F-2s. One I bought back in the '70s for my Minolta SRT-101 outfit. I liked it so much that when my dad gave me his Canon A-1 outfit, I bought a second F-2 for it. I sold the Canon outfit to buy a K-5. Currently I keep the K-5, 16-50, 43, 70, and 100 WR lenses in it along with the charger, USB cable, 49mm and 77mm polarizer filters, a USB flash drive, a Demb Saucer flash diffuser, and some miscellaneous cleaning and note-taking supplies. Everything fits well except the flash diffuser is barely small enough to fit in the inner pocket on the lid. I do think that to put any more than what I have in (like 250mm lenses), you will be happier with the F-1X.
10-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, I agree I should look into the F-1X. I check B&H and the price difference isn't much.

10-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you just need a bag for storage, then I wouldn't go for a bag like the F2. I would personally go for a case (like peli or B&W). Also Tenba and Think Thank have good storage cases (expensive though).
10-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
If you just need a bag for storage, then I wouldn't go for a bag like the F2.
I would tend to agree with that. It's not that I don't like Domke bags. Just the opposite...I love them. I have an F3x that I've had for a very long time and is far and away the bag I use most. But it's not what I store my gear in because the sides aren't padded. I tend to store and transport my gear (like when I'm traveling by car) in a large Lowepro bag that was designed for medium format film gear. I use my Domke as my walking around bag. It's great for that.
10-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
But it's not what I store my gear in because the sides aren't padded.
Why would padding be an issue for storage? I would say it's the opposite, I want some padding in the bags I carry my gear around in. At home in a cabinet where I keep my camera gear, there are not a lot of things randomly banging into my gear... it's just sitting there... on a shelf... behind a door.

A hard case like Pelican would just not work, a case of necessary size would not fit in my cabinet without taking out a bunch of other stuff (and then where would I put that stuff?). The other drawback for hard cases is that future purchases are a bit hard to deal with when you have customized the foam inserts for your current gear. If I were a working pro then a hard case would make some sense for on-the-go field work, but I'm not.

Anyway, thanks for your replies and I'm probably going to stick with the F1X unless I find something better that meets my needs.
10-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Fitting it in your cabinet is a valid point for the hardcases, but the tenba and think thank are not hard cases. And also for the peli cases, they also have them with nrmal deviders instead of foam.

I ams till looking for a case for my needs, but at the moment I store my gear in a backpack. To be more precise the inner section of the backpack. I have the Naneu Urban Gear Bakcpack Urban Gear U120n | Naneu Bags and it has a removable insert. So I have teh grear in the insert in a cabinet at easy reach. And the outershell tucked away. When I need the backpack, I just put the insert in it and I am off. They also have a bigger backpack/rolling pack that you can take the insert out off Urban Gear U220n | Naneu Bags nad this one Sahara 217F | Naneu Bags .
Also F-stop gear has removable inserts, which you buy seperatly from their backpacks, so you could have more than one insert, and then use the backpack with the right insert according to the gear you take with you. f-stop || Adventure Photography Camera Packs and Bags - +1.253.236.0070 (then see the internal camera units and the mountain series)

10-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Why would padding be an issue for storage?
For simple storage, it's not. In fact, I keep some of my stuff in an old chest of drawers. I just put towels in the bottom of the drawers for a little padding and store the lenses face down. The reason I prefer some padding in my main storage bag is because I'm also using my Lowepro to transport my gear on vacation and weekend trips. Depending on the length of the trip and what we're doing, my camera case is liable to be stacked along with suitcases and camping gear so a little padding comes in handy. It can also help insulate my stuff from temperature extremes, like when we stop to get something to eat and have to leave the car locked up for a while. I didn't spend a ton of money for my Lowepro, btw. It was actually a fraction of the price of my Domke because I bought it used off Ebay, whereas I bought my Domke new. The way you intend to use your gear may be different from mine, so a Domke may be exactly what you need. I wasn't trying to talk you out of a Domke. Just giving you my 2 cents worth. Domke bags were designed to be working bags and they excel at that. They're very handy and you can easily toss a lot of varied things into them.
10-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the additional options, I'll check them out. I don't even know how many camera bags/cases that I currently have, as I have never really found "the one" that works for everything in my 30+ years of photography. Each has their own purpose I suppose. I have most recently been using a medium sized Lowepro backpack to haul gear back and forth between home and our summer cottage, but it's not convenient for field use as you need to have some place to put it down to access the contents without risk of something falling to the ground. Think Tank has some nice bags too, I have looked at the Retrospective series... was it the 20 or 30 model? I'd be interested in a smaller Domke as a working bag in the field, but that's in addition to my storage need.
10-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I do not know how much gear you take with you when you go to your cottage. But waistpacks are very nice if you do not have a lot of gear. i do have the Clik elite trekker.Waist Packs Product Listing | Clik Elite If you have more gear the reporter would be better.
Also the guys from Think Tank have mindshift gear Outdoor Camera Bag Products, Camera Backpacks | MindShift Gear no need to put bag down from you back to get to your gear