Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

PocketWizard Plus II - Sync Problems

I feel so stupid today it is rediculous. Anyways I'm thinking this is the right place to ask.

So today I bought the PocketWizard Plus II and started to hook it up to my hot shoe on my camera. I have the Pentax K100D and getting it onto my camera was fine. What I' am trying to do is set up my Pentax AF 360-FGZ flash externaly off my camera and set up on a light stand. Now I' am pretty sure that the flash does not need its own PocketWizard because it already was allowing me to choose the channels for the PW to be picked up on. So I set the channel on my PW and my flash will not fire.

My question is, how can I set up my PW on my cameras (Pentax K100D) hot shoe to trigger off my flash (Pentax AF 360-FGZ) that is not connected to the camera. The flash does not have an cable slots or anything to hook up to it either, but as I said it shows that I can pick channels on it. Help please!!!

I've misplaced my flash manual and need some help, its very appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Shane

03-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Err, that wont work mac.

You cannot use a PW to wirelessly trigger a 360fgz. The Pentax Wireless and PW are not the same thing and are not interchangable. PW uses radio signals, Pentax Wireless uses preflashes. If you have a PW as a sender (on your camera) then you need a second PW as the receiver (connected to your flash).

If you want to trigger a 360fgz using a pocket wizard, then, since it doesnt have a sync port on it, you need to get one of those hot shoes with pc sync port in them, then you need a second PW and connect that to the hot shoe pc sync and set the two PWs on the same channel.

here is an example of such a product, there are many different ones available.

you connect the cable form your second PW into the pc sync port on that device and put your flash in the hotshoe.

When using it in this mode, of course you will only get manual flash.
If you want to trigger a 360fgz with a k100d and get pentax p-ttl then you need a second 360fgz mounted on your camera to trigger the remote 360fgz.

Ask away if that doesnt clear it up
03-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alright I do understand, so what is the name of that product?

So the cable from the PW would go to the products slot?
03-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Yes the cable that comes with the PW unit should fit in there.

I just search for pc sync hot shoe adapter. There are many makes making this product in different price ranges. Some have a hot shoe in the bottom, so that you can fit it wherever you canfir yout flash, such as in the top of an umbrella swivel adapter. some have threads in the bottom so you can screw it on a lightstand directly, although the former variant might be more usefull.

Here is one example of such a product at B&H.
Hama | Hot Shoe Adapter 1 | HA-6951 | B&H Photo Video

03-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch.
03-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
and
Veteran Member

aiai, my apologies, the product I linked you to will not do what you want. I read it again and the shoe on the top is a cold shoe, meaning it will not fire a flash.

The poduct you need is a hot shoe that has a pc sync connection and will fire the flash sitting on it when a signal is received by the pc sync port. You can phone b&h (or ask in your local store) for such a thing.

I found a different product that should be able to do this although it also does other things that you dont need.
Hama | Universal Flash Adapter | HA-6950 | B&H Photo Video

this adapter has 2 pc sync ports, one male and one female, if you connect a cable to the female port it will fire the flash, so it should work.

sorry for the misinformation..