Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #1

Qi Charger recommendation for Pentax WG-3 GPS

The new Pentax WG-3 GPS can use an inductive charger called Qi (the generic term). There are many on the market. Has anyone used one with this camera and are their any more suitable than others for charging this camera????

I have checked Pentax sites and have found no info or Pentax approved Qi chargers....PLEASE HELP

Last edited by whoopsumbass; 10-08-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: missing words
10-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be curious to see some recommendations too. This might make for an interesting blog post!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We had the same kind of thread about a week ago. I don't think the person got any advice. My suggestion was to ask the B&H rep on our blog. I would think that as Qi is a snadard any such device should work, but I would never trust a phone company product to do the job.
10-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

I don't have any experience with the WG-3 GPS, but the Nokia charger looks like it could be a good match at a reasonable price ($25, link below). It seems to be similar in size to the camera, so if they put the charging coils in near the center of the camera, it might fit nicely. I have the Nokia charger and it works well with a Nokia windows phone and an Asus android tablet. As Bob said, the camera should work with any Qi charger in theory, though there may be some incompatibilities between some devices and chargers.

Search - AT&T

12-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

Came here hoping to find answers but this was the only thread that came up in a search for "Qi charging".. just got my WG-03 GPS yesterday for Christmas, and am baffled by the wireless charging.

I have this charger:
Amazon.com: Koolpad Qi Wireless Charger Pad for All Qi Compatible Devices Including Samsung Phones with Receivers (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

But nowhere does the camera indicate it's charging, and the owner's manual doesn't mention Qi charging at all, as far as I've found so far. so lame! If it weren't for the countless online reviews stating this camera has it, I would have no idea that it's supposed to be a feature at all.

Anyone come up with an answer yet?
12-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you go for the Nokia charger, get the new smaller one. I got the old one (plus FatBoy pillow) for my phone and size of both the plug and the plate is really big and stupidly they didn't go with USB for the cable, the new one fixes everything.
11-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by stl_stadtroller Quote

But nowhere does the camera indicate it's charging, and the owner's manual doesn't mention Qi charging at all, as far as I've found so far. so lame!

Anyone come up with an answer yet?
HI Guys. I'm a newbie here and found this older thread while searching the web!

I have the same WG III camera with GPS and Qi charging capability and on the Ricoh site, it says the on/off button on top will start blinking when it is receiving a charge from a Qi pad. The Qi logo on the front of the camera, to the left of the lens, must be in close proximity to the Qi logo on the pad to receive a charge. The light will then start flashing, the same as it does when plugged in. If the light doesn't start flashing, move the camera around a bit on the pad until it does. Hope this helps!