Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone have this Tripod? Manfrotto MK294A4-A0RC2

Hunt's has this Tripod on sale for $99.99...

http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=MK294A4A0RC2&mfg=Manfrotto

I was just wondering if anyone has this, or has experience with it or if this a good one.

There are 2 reviews of it on Amazon that are positive.

The price seems pretty good. It's $129 on eBay, and $181 on Amazon.

10-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have that model, but I have a Manfrotto 055X-PROB, which is built like a tank. Of all the Manfrotto products I've used and played around with, I haven't found a dud yet. I don't think you can go wrong with anything they make.
10-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I don't have that model, but I have a Manfrotto 055X-PROB, which is built like a tank. Of all the Manfrotto products I've used and played around with, I haven't found a dud yet. I don't think you can go wrong with anything they make.
Does that look like a good price for this tripod? Can you get anything better for $100? Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know anything about tripods yet.....
10-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Does that look like a good price for this tripod? Can you get anything better for $100? Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know anything about tripods yet.....
I think it looks like a great deal. Doubt you could do much better for $100, especially with a head. It's slightly less heavy-duty than mine, but still looks like a very sturdy tripod. I'd go for it.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 10-10-2013 at 04:39 PM.
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have its smaller brother the 293A4, the 294A4 is just a bit larger. The 293A4 is a solid and relatively compact tripod, good for travel. I strongly recommend it, although I did upgrade the ball head on mine to a Benro B0. The stock ball head is pretty good, as long as you don't have any really heavy or long lenses.

Edit: That's a really good price, I paid more for my 293A4+ball head.
10-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a good price, though when I was shopping I opted for the Slik 330DX with Manfrotto 494 ballhead instead. Here are my two posts on Hin's blog detailing my quest:

Hin's Photo Corner: The Magic Tripod

Hin's Photo Corner: Magic Tripod, Part II
In the end I came out with a total package weighing in at less than 3 lbs with a capacity of almost 9 lbs*. Current pricing would put the cost at about $120. Sturdiness is on a par with the Manfrotto product. All that being said, the linked tripod will probably do you just fine. The only advice I might have is to see if they have similar price reduction on the 294 with 3 section legs. The 3 section version is not as compact, but has greater maximum height and should be sturdier.

Steve

*Tripod and head capacities are usually wildly overstated. The best thing is to actually see and compare in a brick & mortar store.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-11-2013 at 01:15 PM.
10-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"The anti-shock collar protects your camera from accidental impact, while the 3 faced design column prevents rotation to allow for increased accuracy and steadfastness."

Forgive my ignorance.... Does this mean you can't rotate/pan the camera when it's attached to the tripod? Or am I confused here...?

10-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"The anti-shock collar protects your camera from accidental impact, while the 3 faced design column prevents rotation to allow for increased accuracy and steadfastness."

Forgive my ignorance.... Does this mean you can't rotate/pan the camera when it's attached to the tripod? Or am I confused here...?
No, it means that the center column for the legs is indexed such that it will not turn. Rotation is the task of the head.

Steve
10-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, it means that the center column for the legs is indexed such that it will not turn. Rotation is the task of the head.

Steve
Haha okay... thanks for clearing that up for me... I need to do more homework on tripods, I know very little about them.

How do you think the tripod in the original post stacks up to this one?

Amazon.com: Ravelli APGL4 New Professional 70" Tripod with Adjustable Pistol Grip Head and Heavy Duty Carry Bag: Camera & Photo
10-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Haha okay... thanks for clearing that up for me... I need to do more homework on tripods, I know very little about them.

Amazon.com: Ravelli APGL4 New Professional 70" Tripod with Adjustable Pistol Grip Head and Heavy Duty Carry Bag: Camera & Photo
I have to admit, I've never heard of that brand before. As such, I wouldn't buy it online without checking it out in person first.

I've used only Manfrotto tripods over the past 30 years or so. There are other good quality well-known brands, but I tend to stick with what works and that happened to be Manfrotto. I have looked at a few of the better Chinese made tripods (e.g. Benro) and while the quality has improved in the last few years, they still have a way to go to catch up to the quality brands. A good tripod will last a very long time. Plus, you don't want your tripod failing when you have it set up in a stream or at the edge of a bridge.
10-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

We have one. For the price, it's hard to beat. I also have a Manfrotto 055XPROB, so that's what I'm comparing to. Here's my review on it.

If you only have $100 to spend, I'd look for a nice used Bogen/Manfrotto. If you especially want a new one, the Ravelli would be about as solid as you're going to get for the money. The head's kinda meh, but the tripod's a rock as long as you tighten some stuff up on it when you get it. The Manfrotto 055XPROB does have a more precise build quality, though. (and it's horizontal center column feature is awesome.) But it's also quite a bit more expensive.
10-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Did you change your mind on the Manfrotto MK294A4-A0RC2?

I doubt the Ravelli will be as solid overall.
10-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Did you change your mind on the Manfrotto MK294A4-A0RC2?

Nahh I just came across that one on Amazon and wasn't sure if it was even comparable.... I am most likely going to buy the Manfrotto, so long as I decide to pull the trigger while its still on sale :P
10-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I have a Manfrotto, and though I prefer it, solidity of the legs isn't one of the reasons why. The Ravelli is nothing to sneeze at. The legs are very solid.
10-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My tripod just came in today... I went with the Manfrotto in the original post.... I haven't mounted my camera to it yet but so far I really like it.. It seems very sturdy and well made. It is a tad heavier than it looks but the weight isn't really a problem for me...

I'm gonna try it out today or tomorrow and i'll post up my experiences with it after i've actually used it to take some photos.