Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Radio triggers for K-01? V5, YN RF602, Cowboy, or else?

I'm trigger-shopping for my K-01 speed-light set-up

I need a budget trigger, relatively durable, and be able to use 1/180 shutter speed without flash delay
What came up were the Cactus V5, Yongnuo RF-603 & 602, Cowboy Studio PT-04

Anyway; it's IMPORTANT that I can use 1/180s speed with this trigger without flash-delay
then comes consistency in terms of quality control, then durability
(triggers sold locally are all poor & I'll be buying it from overseas; 2nd chances are difficult)

What's your experience & what do you recommend?
V5? YN? Cowboy? or something else?

Last edited by dstructor; 10-11-2013 at 06:58 PM.
10-11-2013, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used the Cactus V5 for almost two years now using X-sync mode on the k-5. No problems at all. The units are well built and very flexible. They are transceivers so each unit can be configured as either receiver or transmitter as you wish. The only time I have had any problems it was because I turned the channel wheel by accident so the units were on different channels. It rarely happens, so rarely that I then spend five minutes trying to figure out what is wrong but that's really nit-picking. Well worth the money for me. I have three units and either use them as two transmitters and one receiver or two receivers and one transmitter.
10-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use the K-01 with Cactus V5 to fire my old Vivitar flashes -- they work fine. Every failure I've had always turned out to be me accidentally setting the shutter speed to faster than 1/180s (or dead battery in one of the triggers).
10-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys

I was getting tired of all the conflicting reports when I wrote this

I decided to order a set of V5's & NPT-04 as backup.

NPT-04 received really good replies all over, maybe the longevity was weak but otherwise more than satisfactory
and the Cactus V5 negative comments were usually in the expected botched units

Thanks again for all your input here & otherwise, Pentaxians