Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Kingston/Sandisk Ultra/Transcend

I'm going to grab a much bigger memory card (only got a bunch of 4GB cards right now)
and they've got the 16GB for a decent price here in Korea. 32GB are quite expensive starting at $50-$60, I can get like 4 of these cards for one of those.

These are all Class10 16GB cards, any reason I should be picking one of these brands over the other?
I do have a sandisk Ultra II 4GB card that I use as a backup card and never had issues with it, but it isn't a main card.

10-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always used Sandisk and had good results. But I think any of the major names will have good quality cards. Just watch for fakes.

Class 10 is the only think I buy. But the class system is a little outdated. The spec for "Class 10" only requires a card with 10 MB/sec speed. Most newer cards are going to be 30MB/sec or faster. Sandisk usually puts the actual speed on the card which I think is a more accurate measure than the class system at this point. Most of my newer cards are Sandisk Extreme Pro @95MB/sec. And that is much faster than the camera but might be give me a little future proofing. YMMV
10-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
32GB are quite expensive starting at $50-$60, I can get like 4 of these cards for one of those.
The value of a larger card can depend on what you photograph. I do a lot of soccer and day-long tournaments. The larger cards are valuable to me because they keep my camera in play with fewer interruptions to change cards. The trend of cameras generating ever-larger files implies that one will need larger cards to keep up. YMMV.

Re: brand, I'm partial to Sandisk because they seem to be built better than the others, with the exception of Lexmark (in CF cards at least). The edges of SD cards are somewhat thin and vulnerable and I prefer reinforcing materials thereabouts. That said, I've had Transcend SD and CF cards that serve just fine. Kingston seems a little lesser in quality. If you haven't, I would do some research on SD card performance. Some of the pricier Class 10 Sandisk cards are slower than the cheaper ones.

M
10-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

I would recommend Patriot. I've been a loyal user of their cards for quite sometime now, and they have a reputation of making good SD cards, computer memory (RAM), and hard drives.

http://patriotmemory.com/product/indexp.jsp?source=4&catid=88,90,89&src=4,7

10-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use SanDisk Extreme and Kingston, but I prefer SanDisk. Had a bad experience with a "premium" Patriot card - don't plan to go back to them (card acted flaky within days of purchase - kept pretending it was going to work, but then would lose some or all of the pictures). Samsung is the other card I'd consider. Transcend has been good, but it's still my last choice.

Make sure any card you get (SanDisk in particular) is not a forgery.