Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, I'm REALLY GLAD I posted MY REPLY, since it appears I opened A REAL CAN OF WORMS that has made it apparent the old $10 adapter that worked with the K-7 will work with the K-5 and K-3, unless I'm reading the response posts wrong (WAY MORE POSTS IN RESPONSE TO MINE than all previous, which means, I guess, that I touched a point important not only to ME). IF I'm assuming correctly that the $10 K-7 adaptor will work with my K-5 and my K-5IIs and my K-3, I may just order THREE of them, at $10, each.

Is my interpretation of all the responses correct?

I DEFINITELY have NO DESIRE to spend $110 on an adapter for my K-3 JUST BECAUSE the EU (which has done A LOT OF GOOD THINGS, BUT HAS ALSO GONE WAY OVERBOARD IN SOME AREAS), has dictated a new "standard" for AC adapters that made Ricoh/Pentax re-design its entire line of AC Adapters, IF the OLDER AC adapter that worked with the K-7 will still work with my K-5/5IIs and K-3 WITHOUT burning it out due to too much electricity and no built-in down-sampler.
Jeff

Last edited by JeffAHayes; 05-19-2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add stuff
05-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffAHayes Quote
Is my interpretation of all the responses correct?
I don't think so. The $10 cord from Pentax seems to be the power cord that goes from the wall socket to the DC adapter (which then puts out the 8.3V to the camera).

The cheaper alternative listed by Rockville Bob (ebay) and wildman (Amazon) would seem to do the trick.

Cheers.
Lou
05-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Excellent point. I was unable to find a third party adapter a few years ago but a quick search of eBay yielded HQRP AC Power Adapter Fits Pentax K5 K7 K10D K20D K645 K AC50 39365 39364 | eBay
I would have bought this if I had found it a few years ago.
That said, being able to use the old adapter on the K-3, after the announcement implied a new adapter was needed, is great news to me since I already own the old adapter.

As a favor to other Pentax members I will post this under Accessories in the Forum.
A supplement from Europe:

Having been a K-5 user for a number of years I have often looked out for the K-AC50 adapter, or a clone thereof, but availability has effectively been zero over the years. But now, I have found this Expro adapter that seems to be identical to the HQRP apart from the printed text. It also specifies the same camera types - i.e. K-3 not mentioned (yet??).

Well, with my K-3 and the power consuming FluCard, I was getting "desperate" so I've bought it (GBP 19.67) and received it within a matter of a few days. I tried it, first on my K-5 and then with my K-3 and it works on both!

I have to say that Chinese power supplies are, well Chinese.....If only the original adapter was availble, I guess I would have gone for that.

So, no guarantees given, but so far, I have been using it without any mishappenings (yet??).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo