Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New AC Adapter for K-5, II, IIs, & K-3...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So, I was looking at the K-3 on B&H when I noticed this...

Pentax K-AC132 AC Adapter Kit 38780 B&H Photo Video

Looks like Pentax is bringing out a bit more than just new lenses and a new body...

10-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
So, I was looking at the K-3 on B&H when I noticed this...

Pentax K-AC132 AC Adapter Kit 38780 B&H Photo Video

Looks like Pentax is bringing out a bit more than just new lenses and a new body...
Good find! Somewhat similar to the external power they've long had for flashes, I suppose: Pentax TR Power Pack III 37225 B&H Photo Video

And of course this requires an AC outlet. But it's obviously for applications like video, which they're clearly taking seriously now!
10-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Good find! Somewhat similar to the external power they've long had for flashes, I suppose: Pentax TR Power Pack III 37225 B&H Photo Video

And of course this requires an AC outlet. But it's obviously for applications like video, which they're clearly taking seriously now!
I would think that members inclined towards astrophotography would like this as well. You can run a DC/AC converter off your car cigarette lighter or directly off the battery with an extension cord and this thing. Then you won't have to worry about the camera's batteries dying on you in the middle of a long exposure. I wonder if you could even use it with one of the external AC power packs like Paul Buff's Vagabond Mini...
05-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You couldn't use it with ANYTHING, as far as I can discern. Although this item has supposedly been available for some time, now, it STILL doesn't show up on Pentax's AMERICAN website, and all the online retailers like Adorama list it as backordered with NO scheduled availability date. At the moment, B&H is closed for its Sabbath, but it has a shipping date of 7-14 days listed. My guess is that THEY get it via one of the more than a DOZEN Japanese merchants or distributors who will also sell it as "storefronts" through Amazon.com, although you have to order FROM THEM, direct FROM JAPAN, which appears to mean Ricoh/Pentax HAS NOT YET decided to release this adaptor in North America.

I find this highly frustrating, especially since there still exists (on the Pentax website) a simple $10 AC cord that plugs DIRECTLY into the K-7 to substitute for the battery during extended shooting, downloading or whatever. I see NO REASON why they couldn't have kept that design feature in the K-5 and K-3! Instead, they have a $110 + AC adaptor that's pretty much VAPORWARE MANY MONTHS after its announcement! POPPYCOCK!
Jeff

05-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffAHayes Quote
At the moment, B&H is closed for its Sabbath, but it has a shipping date of 7-14 days listed. My guess is that THEY get it via one of the more than a DOZEN Japanese merchants or distributors who will also sell it as "storefronts" through Amazon.com, although you have to order FROM THEM, direct FROM JAPAN, which appears to mean Ricoh/Pentax HAS NOT YET decided to release this adaptor in North America
It's probably ordered direct from the distributor (Pentax USA), shipped from the Philippines to B&H if it's not available in their warehouse, then shipped to the customer. But that's just my guess!

I see NO REASON why they couldn't have kept that design feature in the K-5 and K-3! Instead, they have a $110 + AC adaptor that's pretty much VAPORWARE MANY MONTHS after its announcement! POPPYCOCK!
I see a reason: extra revenue for Pentax!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although this item has supposedly been available for some time, now, it STILL doesn't show up on Pentax's AMERICAN website
+Adam above.

The Webstore is not Pentax. It is a third-party contractor which stocks inventory at its own expense and makes its own profit.
05-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From previous threads here and PMs with another member:

The adapter for the K-5 and K-7 (K-AC50) works fine with the K-3, if you already have one. I have used mine and it works fine.

Also note that the K-AC1202U adapter for the K-01 (in stock and $10 cheaper) seems to have the Switching AC Adapter D-AC120 module that the K-AC132 has, according to the In the Box info. Plus you get the adapter-to-K-01 coupler!

[Seems a bit disingenuous of Pentax to sell the K-3 adapter for a higher price, IMO.]

The new adapter seems to be needed because of changes in EU regulations regarding such things. I don't know the details, but think it has to do with environmentally friendly materials.

Cheers,
Lou

05-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lm4187 Quote
From previous threads here and PMs with another member:

The adapter for the K-5 and K-7 (K-AC50) works fine with the K-3, if you already have one. I have used mine and it works fine.

Also note that the K-AC1202U adapter for the K-01 (in stock and $10 cheaper) seems to have the Switching AC Adapter D-AC120 module that the K-AC132 has, according to the In the Box info. Plus you get the adapter-to-K-01 coupler!

[Seems a bit disingenuous of Pentax to sell the K-3 adapter for a higher price, IMO.]

The new adapter seems to be needed because of changes in EU regulations regarding such things. I don't know the details, but think it has to do with environmentally friendly materials.

Cheers,
Lou
Hey Lou - thank you very much. I have the K-5 adapter - Pentax K-AC50 AC Adapter Kit - and did not think it would work with the K-3 - this is great news - especially for some time lapse photography I want to do.
Why did they need to make another adapter?
I just want to confirm - the Pentax K-AC50 AC Adapter Kit will work with the K-3? Thanks

Why do you think they just didn't keep the same AC adapter for
05-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EU wants electronics makers to standardize batteries, plug connectors, cables etc. (they've published a standard) and then stop including them with new items - to help 'conserve' something or other for the world. How much do you want to bet the 'new' AC Adapater meets the new standard and the 'old' AC Adapter doesn't, even though both will work just fine?
05-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I just tried it out - the old AC Adapter worksfine - thank you Lou - just a few miles north of Rockville
05-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I got a third party one for 15 bucks for my K5 delivered to my door.
Has worked perfectly for the last two years.
It escapes me why this is such great news at $110.
05-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I got a third party one for 15 bucks for my K5 delivered to my door.
Has worked perfectly for the last two years.
It escapes me why this is such great news at $110.
Excellent point. I was unable to find a third party adapter a few years ago but a quick search of eBay yielded HQRP AC Power Adapter Fits Pentax K5 K7 K10D K20D K645 K AC50 39365 39364 | eBay
I would have bought this if I had found it a few years ago.
That said, being able to use the old adapter on the K-3, after the announcement implied a new adapter was needed, is great news to me since I already own the old adapter.

As a favor to other Pentax members I will post this under Accessories in the Forum.
05-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Excellent point. I was unable to find a third party adapter a few years ago but a quick search of eBay yielded HQRP AC Power Adapter Fits Pentax K5 K7 K10D K20D K645 K AC50 39365 39364 | eBay
Yep that's the one I have only I got it through Amazon.

Amazon.com: HQRP AC Adapter for Pentax K-AC50 39365 39364 fits K5 K7 K10D K20D K645 Digital SLR Camera Power Supply Cord K-5 K-7 K-10D K-20D K-645 + Euro Plug Adapter: Electronics

Can't see why my cheapo third party adapter wouldn't work on the K3 as well unless the plug is physically different between the k5 and the K3. Otherwise they should electrically be the same between the K5 and the k3 as far as I can tell because they both use the same batteries (D-Li90) thus, I assume, they both have the same electrical requirements (8.3 volts DC@2amps at no load).

Last edited by wildman; 05-18-2014 at 08:27 AM.
05-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Yep that's the one I have only I got it through Amazon.

Can't see why my cheapo third party adapter wouldn't work on the K3 as well unless the plug is physically different between the k5 and the K3. Otherwise they should electrically be the same between the K5 and the k3 as far as I can tell because they both use the same batteries (D-Li90) thus, I assume, they both have the same electrical requirements (8.3 volts DC@2amps at no load).
I am sure it works - trying to get it posted under Accessories
Right now you cannot post items to AC Adapters - I sent a message to Adam and will post.

Since the old Pentax K-5 adapter works on the K-3 I would guess this one also works.

Wish I had found that a couple of years ago.
05-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Wish I had found that a couple of years ago.
Same here. Money spent on AC adapters is money not spent feeding my LBA!

Cheers.