Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
That's the truth, they know they can so they do.

I never buy new bags, charity / goodwill shops are full of them. And the bag is there to protect and carry the gear, so why would I want an expensive bag that's going to put down in mud, wet grass and sandy beaches and dragged through undergrowth ? . I've got a nice Kata and Lowepro that I'm using at the moment, both bought in new condition for next to nothing, but in a years time they'll look like the others, battered and mud coloured.
That's what I love about Think tank bags. They come with a rain cover that I use to protect the bag and not just in rainy conditions.

10-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Or, I could have bought a Goodwill junker and replaced it every year for 30 years.
I think you missed the point. Don't recall anyone saying anything about buying junk. Quite the reverse. All my bags are name brand, top of the line, and if I can buy it 'like new' for $10 or pay $150 at a retail store for 'new' which would you do? I've bought Lowepro, Targus and Tamrac bags at estate sales for pennies on the dollar, why wouldn't I?
10-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe You Missed My Point?

I didn't miss any point. I wasn't directing my 'junker' comment at you or anyone else.
My post was merely to point out the difference between 'making do' with less quality that compromises the durability, safety of the equipment and generally shows a cavalier attitude towards your gear. Once again, I wasn't quoting anyone, or referring to any person.
If you can get a quality camera-specific bag for less than the new price, by all means, do so. Not everyone looks for, waits for, or finds, these bargains.
There have been many previous posts (although not on this thread) about various other bags converted to camera use, either to save money or make the contents less obvious. Gym bags, airline bags, even diaper bags. My post may be viewed as a pre-emptive strike against such advice. We have many newer (new to photography) members who read these threads and I felt a responsibility to not only agree with the general consensus, but reinforce the notion that the first priority when selecting a bag is quality. Quality costs money, whether you find a bargain price on a good bag or not.
I apologize if my post offended anyone.
Ron
10-24-2013, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Why are camera bags so expensive?
Mostly because it says "camera" in front of "bag".

10-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I didn't miss any point. I wasn't directing my 'junker' comment at you or anyone else.
My post was merely to point out the difference between 'making do' with less quality that compromises the durability, safety of the equipment and generally shows a cavalier attitude towards your gear. Once again, I wasn't quoting anyone, or referring to any person.
If you can get a quality camera-specific bag for less than the new price, by all means, do so. Not everyone looks for, waits for, or finds, these bargains.
There have been many previous posts (although not on this thread) about various other bags converted to camera use, either to save money or make the contents less obvious. Gym bags, airline bags, even diaper bags. My post may be viewed as a pre-emptive strike against such advice. We have many newer (new to photography) members who read these threads and I felt a responsibility to not only agree with the general consensus, but reinforce the notion that the first priority when selecting a bag is quality. Quality costs money, whether you find a bargain price on a good bag or not.
I apologize if my post offended anyone.
Ron
You are right, Quality costs money. But it is profit that defines the price.

Last edited by Macario; 10-25-2013 at 01:38 AM.
10-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good quality doesn't have to be expensive. Domke bags are mid-priced.
IMO they are a great value, delivering very high quality at modest cost.

Chris
10-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is true that quality costs money.

It is false that only "proper" camera bags can be of high quality.

10-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I came sliding down a muddy bank yesterday, about 20 feet on my butt. My gear for the day was in the £10 charity shop Kata DR 465 camera rucksack on my back, and the bag collected as much mud as I did, but it protected the gear perfectly.
I got home, emptied the bag and hosed it down on the yard, it's been on a radiator overnight and this morning is ready for action again. It's actually cleaner than when I took it out yesterday!
A good camera bag is essential, but the way I treat my bags is that they are a tool to be used, They will get knocked about - not deliberately, but they will. The Kata is doing the job very nicely and holding up well. And importantly I don't feel as though I have to be protective about the bag because I got it cheap, maybe with a £100 bag I wouldn't have gone up the river bank in the woods to get the picture?
10-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't care why they are expensive; but the expensive flashy bags that have "CAMERABAG" and "EXPENSIVE GEAR" written all over them are the ones to avoid. Unless you're insured for theft and need a new camera... (No, I'm not really being serious in that last part!)
10-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think you missed the point. Don't recall anyone saying anything about buying junk. Quite the reverse. All my bags are name brand, top of the line, and if I can buy it 'like new' for $10 or pay $150 at a retail store for 'new' which would you do? I've bought Lowepro, Targus and Tamrac bags at estate sales for pennies on the dollar, why wouldn't I?
For me is the ability to select exactly what you want from a bag, rather than taking what is available. In my case I wanted a backpack style of bag that could carry regular items along with my camera gear. Many camera bags carry just your camera equipment. My Lowepro has room for 1 body and 5 lenses (1 on the camera) plus food drinks etc if I go hiking.

When I get my K-3 I will get another bag that is just a camera bag. That way I will have the two options.
10-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I don't care why they are expensive; but the expensive flashy bags that have "CAMERABAG" and "EXPENSIVE GEAR" written all over them are the ones to avoid. Unless you're insured for theft and need a new camera...
I may be the one who suggested using a diaper bag once, but it was for the exact reason you mention. I got the suggestion from someone who was a travel guide...and they got the tip from someone who lived in a particular country where the local thieves were targeting tourists with expensive camera bags. The thieves were coming up from behind, quckly cutting the straps, and taking everything before the tourist knew what hit them. The guide suggested only carrying the gear you thought you'd need for the day and using a diaper bag to carry it in because nobody steals diapers. If the OP is concerned about the high price of good quality camera bags, there are ways around it, as folks have pointed out. You can have the same high priced bag for a fraction of the cost. You just have to pay in patience and legwork, rather than money.
11-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been buying backpacks and putting in inserts to hold the camera. Cheap and gives you the option to move it to new backs as the outer fabric wears. Of course i got my favorite insert from my Kata bag....
11-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The guide suggested only carrying the gear you thought you'd need for the day and using a diaper bag to carry it in because nobody steals diapers.
FWIW, I think that's mostly outdated and/or tour guides could be in with the criminals. At least in Europe. Diapers are expensive and the rings of thieves have [many] children, too, if the children themselves aren't targeting the tourists. If anything, a diaper bag will spell "tourist".

Just blend in.
11-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Yep, I'm a Domke believer myself. After watching a couple of YouTube videos from Mr. Photouniverse I decided to buy one new from Amazon.com. I purchased the Domke F-5XB for about $77. I liked it so we'll I purchased another one slightly larger to handle 3 lenses instead of two on eBay for only $47 almost new (F-803). I love the canvas bags and rugged plastic zippers. And the bags don't scream "Expensive Equipment in Here!". They look like a simple plain travel bag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92395202@N07/10871046253/

Last edited by Driline; 11-16-2013 at 09:57 AM.
11-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
FWIW, I think that's mostly outdated and/or tour guides could be in with the criminals. At least in Europe. Diapers are expensive and the rings of thieves have [many] children, too, if the children themselves aren't targeting the tourists. If anything, a diaper bag will spell "tourist".

Just blend in.
as a parent of three, I only wish I had back some of the cash we put into diapers...and certain situations, a single diaper is way more valuable than any camera. Parents know what I am talking about; we've all been there.