Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Otherwise, you could probably get a used Bogen/Manfrotto for around $100. Something like the 3001 legs and 3025 head. It's hard to beat a Bogen/Manfrotto, in my opinion.
I looked it up, looks perfectly affordable. I will keep the combination and your advice in mind, thank you.

10-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
Is wood really that stable? I don't know anything about these things but to me it doesn't seem like the best material.
Wood dampens vibrations the most effectively and is extremely durable. I've had mine in water, mud, sand the swamps of Florida for nearly 2 years and it looks and works like new. It can get a little annoying to carry this heavy sucker through the woods but it's worth it if you really want to get the shot. Added bonus it looks cool as hell and can be used to fight off all the chicks who will swoon over it.
10-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
Wood dampens vibrations the most effectively and is extremely durable. I've had mine in water, mud, sand the swamps of Florida for nearly 2 years and it looks and works like new. It can get a little annoying to carry this heavy sucker through the woods but it's worth it if you really want to get the shot. Added bonus it looks cool as hell and can be used to fight off all the chicks who will swoon over it.
Thank you for the information. I had no idea. The only problem is it weighs a ton... and I HAVE to take it on a plane. At least a few times... a year. I would like to have all my gear with me as hand luggage. 3kg/6lb tripod that folds to a reasonable size is no problem, but I'm not so sure about a 12 kg / 24 lb tripod?

Last edited by tripodquest; 10-23-2013 at 04:52 PM.
10-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #19

It weighs 7 pounds, but it's definitely too big to bring on a plane as carry on. I'd be interested in knowing what most people use when traveling by air. I have always done without.

10-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It weighs 7 pounds, but it's definitely too big to bring on a plane as carry on. I'd be interested in knowing what most people use when traveling by air. I have always done without.
7 pounds is not too bad at all... I mean, for carrying around. I've carried a lot more weight than that around for long distances. How big is it, folded? Are you sure you can't bring it as a carry on? I usually manage to get what I want as a carry on on planes even if it's not exactly as small as it's supposed to be, like a 65cm tall backpack that was bursting and weighed over 12 kg (either I look really likeable or I was really lucky), but I would rather not chance it if I can.
10-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #21

it's almost 1 meter long. Too big for most check in luggage.
10-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it's almost 1 meter long. Too big for most check in luggage.
oh wow, yes then it's too long! extra weight is a lot easier to get through than extra length.