Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

compact, rugged tripod advice needed

Hi all,

I'm looking for a tripod with the following characteristics:
- compact (when folded it should be no more than 40-45 cm long)
- rugged (it should last and resist to mud, water, etc.)
- metal spikes (it will be used mainly in the woods, for macro photography)
- quick release head, with handle

Welcome are also the following:
- fast locking system
- not too many sections (it will be used 99% at max 50 cm from ground)

Perhaps this is a good starting point: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/benro-benro-169m8-travel-angel.html

Thanks in advance for any other advices!

Last edited by noou; 10-26-2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: added reference
10-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty happy with my Oben: Oben CT-3410 4-Section Carbon Fiber Folding Tripod CT-3410/BB-0T

It's discontinued, but their 3 and 5 section tripods are still available: Tripods with Heads | B&H Photo Video

Heie is pretty happy with his Sirui: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/238386-si...el-tripod.html

Do yourself a favor and spend the little bit extra for carbon fiber. Your tripod is no good if it is too heavy to carry around everywhere.
10-26-2013, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Heie is pretty happy with his Sirui: Sirui T-025x Review - The Perfect Travel Tripod?
Heie is extremely happy with his Sirui
12-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for your advices

I finally managed to take pictures of my dad's old tripod (quick and dirty cell pictures):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Xi_8k66XekZG1iU3FfdTliVUk/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Xi_8k66XekelQ2N1RORGZzN2c/edit?usp=sharing
I must say that it's way more compact and light than I remembered... He carries it in a waist pack while exploring woods. He used to be very happy with it, except for the joints recently went loose.
That's why I'm trying to find a replacement for him, but unfortunately I don't seem to find anything really comparable...

12-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That looks like it could be an old Velbon. Actually, I guess it is an old mini Velbon tripod. You can still find those from time to time. Was he wanting another one like it? Or a more modern version?

Last edited by TaoMaas; 12-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.
12-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noou Quote
thanks for your advices

I finally managed to take pictures of my dad's old tripod (quick and dirty cell pictures):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Xi_8k66XekZG1iU3FfdTliVUk/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Xi_8k66XekelQ2N1RORGZzN2c/edit?usp=sharing
I must say that it's way more compact and light than I remembered... He carries it in a waist pack while exploring woods. He used to be very happy with it, except for the joints recently went loose.
That's why I'm trying to find a replacement for him, but unfortunately I don't seem to find anything really comparable...
That is an old Velbon. An old guy sold one to me years ago. It's bombproof and useful for tabletop work. I'd gladly ship it to Italy for a very reasonable price

M
12-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If he's looking for something very similar to what he had, Velbon makes a modern version of that mini tripod. B&H Photo/video has a whole section devoted to table top and mini tripods. Tabletop & Mini Tripods | B&H Photo Video If you decide to order from them, be sure you use the link here on the forum. You know...once upon a time, that little Velbon was about the only thing available if you wanted to get really close to the ground. Very few of the tripods at the time had leg spreading abilities. Now, there's LOTS of tripods that can go just as low as that little Velbon, but which can also go high enough to be used for other shots, too. It might be something worth considering if your dad is willing to carry a slightly bigger tripod.

12-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I found an unused Mini Velbon in a charity shop a couple of years ago and paid £5 for it, and it was worth every penny, i wouldn't part with mine. It obviously doesn't do what my full size Benbo or Gitzo does, but it sure as hell does the job of a small tripod!
12-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The sirui t025 is nice but doesn't have spikes...

Would the Ultrek fit the bill?