Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
if it's this hard to find a bag when i only have 7 or so lenses i wonder what pain it will be (or how much it will cost) when i have more?
Here you go: Amazon.com: Pelican 1660 Case with Foam for Camera (Desert Tan): Electronics

11-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i'm not sure if you're being serious or not but there is no way any airline will let you take that as a hand luggage. for now i just need a bag for a dslr and 7 lenses. it doesn't have to have any room for clothes and such (you can always buy more clothes -- but there needs to be space for cards flash charger and other such stuff + a passport and so on.)
11-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm not sure if you're being serious or not but there is no way any airline will let you take that as a hand luggage. for now i just need a bag for a dslr and 7 lenses. it doesn't have to have any room for clothes and such (you can always buy more clothes -- but there needs to be space for cards flash charger and other such stuff + a passport and so on.)
Sorry, forgot the smiley. That case is for when you really have a lot gear, not for now.

I think you will be good with any of the name brand computer / camera back backs. Go to a local store, Fry's if you have one and try them out. If you have a local camera shop they will often let you bring your gear in and try bags to see which one fits. But I would ask first
11-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sorry, forgot the smiley. That case is for when you really have a lot gear, not for now.

I think you will be good with any of the name brand computer / camera back backs. Go to a local store, Fry's if you have one and try them out. If you have a local camera shop they will often let you bring your gear in and try bags to see which one fits. But I would ask first
i thought you might have not been quite serious. i'll call around but the camera shops around here are tiny so I don't have big hopes. we'll see i don't think there is such a thing as a global camera store chain so what you have in the States is probably not found here (and if it is then only in the UK).

11-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Want a snap of mine loaded? I can measure it and you can decide if it will work as a carry on. I don't think it will fit all the international regulations, but I don't know. I have a year to figure it out before we go on a trip.

I agree about the clothes. I have a friend who does an awful lot of business travel. He only takes one change of socks and underwear - he buys more when he gets where he's working. It's less expensive than hotel laundry fees.
11-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

What I find is the main limitation of photo backpacks is that if there even is a provision for it, carrying an average-sized tripod in the backpack often makes it much more difficult to get at the contents. So you might consider that if you use a tripod. Traveling by air, you need to check your tripod, but once you get to the destination, you need to carry the tripod in the backpack. You can carry a camera and lenses in a vest, or a waistpack, or a shoulder bag, or some combination thereof, but it's pretty inconvenient to carry a tripod in anything except a backpack.
11-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Want a snap of mine loaded? I can measure it and you can decide if it will work as a carry on. I don't think it will fit all the international regulations, but I don't know. I have a year to figure it out before we go on a trip.

I agree about the clothes. I have a friend who does an awful lot of business travel. He only takes one change of socks and underwear - he buys more when he gets where he's working. It's less expensive than hotel laundry fees.
i would appreciate it if it doesn inconveninece you too much. thank you.
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
What I find is the main limitation of photo backpacks is that if there even is a provision for it, carrying an average-sized tripod in the backpack often makes it much more difficult to get at the contents. So you might consider that if you use a tripod. Traveling by air, you need to check your tripod, but once you get to the destination, you need to carry the tripod in the backpack. You can carry a camera and lenses in a vest, or a waistpack, or a shoulder bag, or some combination thereof, but it's pretty inconvenient to carry a tripod in anything except a backpack.
always? even if its length folded is less than what is allowed for hang luggage? well, checking the tripod wouldn't be too bad I guess... it won't break if mishandled a bit and if it's stolen it's just the tripod and not all my other gear so i guess it's okay. still i hope i can take my tripod with me on the plane, just because i hate having to wait for checked luggage on arrival (and arriving earlier at the airport).

11-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bag with my Spotmatic F and 55/1.8 substituting for the MZ-S. 1m = 39.37 inches on the tape. The bag is about 19" (48.3 cm) tall including the handle. Clockwise from the Spottie: DA 12-24 hood reversed, M 400/5.6, M 100/4 macro, 50mm extension tube with AFA 1.7X attached, DA* 16-50, K10d with DA-L 55-300 mounted. I am obviously not the world's best iPhone photographer, but it should give you the idea. The M 400/5.6 up the middle with hood retracted is 11.5" (29.2 cm) including the caps. The hexagonal device is the mounting plate for my Manfrotto 0168 ball head. The fuzzy on the lid is mesh as captured by the iPhone.

There is lots of room to mount the 400 + 1.7X on the body with the tiny divider out of the way. The extra divider top left cushions the 55-300 and resizes the top pocket. I never carry my tripod in the case. On the back side of the lid, there is a pocket holding my AF 540 FGZ flash, the Giotto Rocket, my folding rain jacket, the dark change bag, Banana, water bottle, snacks etc. and the large Gorillapod. An outside pocket has instruction manuals. I never leave home without them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 11-03-2013 at 05:16 PM.
11-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

always? even if its length folded is less than what is allowed for hang luggage? well, checking the tripod wouldn't be too bad I guess... it won't break if mishandled a bit and if it's stolen it's just the tripod and not all my other gear so i guess it's okay. still i hope i can take my tripod with me on the plane, just because i hate having to wait for checked luggage on arrival (and arriving earlier at the airport).
It depends on what you're traveling with in the way of other luggage, and of course your tripod. My smallest tripod is about 27", 6lbs, and won't fit diagonally in a rollaboard. If your tripod is smaller, all you're doing is photography (no materials for other work, for example), and the weather is such that you don't need heavy clothing, then you might not need to check baggage. But usually I take hiking boots plus other shoes, and at least cool weather clothes (layers), a second body (a malfunction would be a disaster if it's a pure photo trip), usual batteries/chargers/cleaning supplies. Pretty soon you're past what you can carry on. The vest might help - you can usually get by with carrying more on a flight that way.

I did have a tripod leg on my old u212 slightly crushed in my checked bag once, because I didn't pack it well enough (too near the top of the bag without enough padding), but it just resulted in slightly sticky operation. Also a chunk broke off the (plastic) head during another trip, but I'm not sure if that was baggage check damage. The leg damage definitely was.

Remember that it's common to get stuck on at least one regional flight, depending on where you're traveling, and you'll need to at least gate check anything larger than a common computer backpack on those flights. Then you'll be subject to the same damage possibilities (but probably less loss possibilities) as checking at the counter.
11-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #25
Pentaxian

you could try the Clik elite Pro express. Pro Express | Backpacks | Clik Elite it shoukld fit your stuff, and is just over $200 and is carry on size. Otherwise the Naneu Urban gear U120N will fit the stuff for sure. It is also carry on size (just) Urban Gear U120n | Naneu Bags
If you don't want a backpack, the larger NOVA series bags from lowepro will also fit enough, more than enough and they are also carry on size
11-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you may want to visit this website: Cambags.com

Go to the Bag Size tab / Backpacks / Laptop Size you own.

Tim
11-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want a messenger bag, look at the Snoop Messenger large format by timbuk2. It is huge. Really.

I use the smallerr version of that same bag, and it is the best I have ever used. It might suit your needs.
11-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My bag with my Spotmatic F and 55/1.8 substituting for the MZ-S. 1m = 39.37 inches on the tape. The bag is about 19" (48.3 cm) tall including the handle. Clockwise from the Spottie: DA 12-24 hood reversed, M 400/5.6, M 100/4 macro, 50mm extension tube with AFA 1.7X attached, DA* 16-50, K10d with DA-L 55-300 mounted. I am obviously not the world's best iPhone photographer, but it should give you the idea. The M 400/5.6 up the middle with hood retracted is 11.5" (29.2 cm) including the caps. The hexagonal device is the mounting plate for my Manfrotto 0168 ball head. The fuzzy on the lid is mesh as captured by the iPhone.

There is lots of room to mount the 400 + 1.7X on the body with the tiny divider out of the way. The extra divider top left cushions the 55-300 and resizes the top pocket. I never carry my tripod in the case. On the back side of the lid, there is a pocket holding my AF 540 FGZ flash, the Giotto Rocket, my folding rain jacket, the dark change bag, Banana, water bottle, snacks etc. and the large Gorillapod. An outside pocket has instruction manuals. I never leave home without them.
cool, thank you. very helpful. it would clearly be big enough. so that's a LowePro Trekker? which model? how big is it? the 300 AW costs 300 € ($400) here and the 400 aw costs 20 € less (go figure) it's above what i'm willing to spend. now a camera bag is really important to me because it's the single biggest thing keeping my stuff safe which is why I'm flexible on the budget... but I'm still looking for something cheaper (if cheaper is possible without compromising quality). if push comes to shove i could store a couple of the smaller lenses in the non-camera compartments of the bag (for example) so the minimum room I'd need in that case in the padded space with the dividers would be for 1 body + 1 lens attached + 4 other lenses (70-145mm in length (not focal length, actual length)) but I don't think that compromise would bring the price down?
11-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I found my bag. It's roomy enough and it was dirt cheap though in ex.cond. (I bought it used) let's just hope the padding's good enough. i couldn't find a bad review though (besides it being too small for someone with lots and lots of gear...)
11-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is the original Trekker from early 1980's. Quality lasts. It has been through quite a few rearrangements.
cool, thank you. very helpful. it would clearly be big enough. so that's a LowePro Trekker? which model?