Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

A specific camera bag?

Well, I had to make the title something other than "a camera bag".
I'll keep it short.

1. I have 1 camera
2. I have 7 lenses. They must all fit in. Also a flash, charger, extra battery, tablet/laptop and so on.
3. I would like the bag to have a rain cover or anti-theft cover (i think a rain cover IS the perfect anti-theft cover) integrated, but I can buy those separately so it's not that important.

The bag should not get soaked through and through from a little rain though, like I've read lowepro bags and some other bags do.

What matters is:
size (big enough for 1 camera + 7-9 lenses (nothing over 200mm so nothing huger than a fast 85 or an 80-200 zoom) but small enough to be hand luggage
can take some rain
properly padded outside as well as inside so the gear doesn't bang against each other (that can happen through padding too if it's too thin)
Oh and, this is also important. IT DOESN'T SCREAM ROB ME ROB ME ROB ME, PLEASE ROB ME

oh yeah, it should also accommodate a small laptop/tablet and if it has an extra "non-camera" compartment (for waterbottle, wallet, whatever) that's also a plus
that's it, I don't want anything fancy not looking to spend a fortune, surely this can be had for less than $200?

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-02-2013 at 02:59 PM.
11-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to say with that many lenses you might want to look at a backpack style bag. That much gear will weigh too much for me to want to carry it any other way. There are lots of backpack style photo bags. I have a Lowepro Computrekker that covers most of what you want, it's an older model and no longer available but take a look maybe it will give you some ideas.
11-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Find the smallest airline carry on size limit, and buy the largest backpack style bag that meets the criteria. The disadvantage to a backpack style bag is that you have to take it off to get something out. When traveling by air, limit your gear to what fits.

I use a 20 year old LowePro Trekker back pack, but also own LowePro 100 and 300 AW sling bags for day trips. The Trekker will hold everything I use with room to spare. To give you an idea of what it can hold, here is my "I don't know what I'm going to see, so I'll take everything" list. Not in the bag are a Benbo Trekker and my Manfrotto 055 tripods. All camera and lens gear is Pentax. I could put my laptop in the largest front pocket, but it wouldn't be padded. If the budget allows I might trade up to one that will take my 15 inch ThinkPad one day.

MZ-S
Spare battery for MZ-S
Extra film
K10d with grip mounted
Second battery in grip
Battery charger for K10d
Spare memory cards (I have five)
AF 540 FTG flash
Spare set of AA batteries for flash
Card reader

DA 12-24
DA* 16-50
FA 24-90
DA-L 55-300
M 100/4 macro
M 400/5.6
AFA 1.7X
50mm extension tube
A bunch of filters, but usually only use my 77mm CPL
Gorilla Pod

Lens cleaning papers and liquid
Giotto blower (the biggest one)
Small blower brush
Lens caps, body caps
Dark change bag (useful for changing lenses in windy, dusty conditions)
Plastic rain poncho with hood that packs to two fists size

Instruction manuals for both cameras and the flash.
Shoulder strap to convert the Trekker to one shoulder

Lunch
Trail mix
Water
Tylenol #3 - with this load ...
Anti-diarhea medications
Prescription medications for one week

Notebook and pens
Maps and brochures for wherever I am that day
Bird and plant books
11-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I have the Clik Elite ProBody Sport Backpack with Computer Sleeve

I can fit my K-30 (you might be able to fit a grip) with arca-style plate and DA* 60-250 mounted, a flash, and two medium sized lenses (I usually put DA 18-135 and DA 15) in the bottom section and still have room for a bunch of other lenses in the top compartment (3-4 lenses - I could fit more depending on if they were in cases). On top of that, it has a padded section for an iPad/15" laptop on the back, room for a camelbak type of water reservoir for hiking, outside pockets for filter case, extra batteries, sunglasses, keys, and a pocket inside the bottom section for memory cards and maybe a filter or two. Finally, it has a spot on the side for a tripod with cord to secure it while hiking - it fits my tripod w/ head which is probably ~22" long no problem.

Pretty comfortable, fully padded on the inside, it works as a sling bag too for quick access to your camera...it's carry-on size and doesn't scream "I'm full of expensive camera gear". Oh, and it also has a rain cover built in and is under $200.

Last edited by slipdm16; 11-02-2013 at 10:40 AM.
11-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Check out the national geographic bags - specifically the large beige one (sorry, forget the name). On a recent trip I fit my k5, 31mm, 43mm, 77mm, 50-135, 50 1.2, fa100 in the bottom compartment, a 67ii with two lenses in the top compartment, and it has a nice padded compartment for a laptop (though it is a tight fit past 13"). Plus has enough minor compartments for accessories and travel gear.
11-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm going to say with that many lenses you might want to look at a backpack style bag. That much gear will weigh too much for me to want to carry it any other way. There are lots of backpack style photo bags. I have a Lowepro Computrekker that covers most of what you want, it's an older model and no longer available but take a look maybe it will give you some ideas.
backpack style would be perfect. I can wait the few seconds more it takes to get stuff out of a backpack vs a slingshot or somesuch. I will check the computrekker out. i'm not above buying a used bag if it's in great condition.
QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16:
still have room for a bunch of other lenses in the top compartment
thank you for the suggestion, the black version looks fiine but I can't escape the worry it's going to be too small. I have another small bag where I could fit a lens or two OR a dslr, but i'd rather only have one bag with me so bigger is better. also... i'm a bit worried about that "fit in the top compartment" part. I take it it's not padded or sectioned? then it would only be good for lenses with hard/leather cases and i only have one of those.
QuoteOriginally posted by innivus:
national geographic
i could only find a couple of small ones "locally" on ebay.
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies:
that looks big enough! at least the "super trekker AW II" and most of the trekkers that don't say "mini" and so on. unfortunately all decently sized lowepro's seem to cost $400+ or $500+ I don't mind paying for quality, but I won't pay for a brand name. thank you all for your suggestions. i will keep looking! edit: i found the big-enough-but-affordable lowepros! i just wasn't looking hard enough.edit2: or not... they were the sligshots or something like that i think... all the proper ones seem to be more expensive

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-02-2013 at 01:44 PM.
11-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Computrekker as transport only. It stays in the car or hotel room. I use a smaller sling bag for when I'm shooting. And I change what is in the sling bag depending on what I'm doing. Everything stays in the Computrekker except what I am actively carrying.

No way would I carry the Computrekker while I'm shooting, it's just too heavy when full (for me anyway).

11-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter

This is the National Geographic one I have:

National Geographic Earth Explorer National Geographic NG 5160

There's a few different sizes, but it's got (IMHO) what you're looking for.
11-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I use the Computrekker as transport only. It stays in the car or hotel room. I use a smaller sling bag for when I'm shooting. And I change what is in the sling bag depending on what I'm doing. Everything stays in the Computrekker except what I am actively carrying.

No way would I carry the Computrekker while I'm shooting, it's just too heavy when full (for me anyway).
really? i would want at least 4 lenses with me when shooting... unless i'm just going somewhere really closeby and already know what i'm going to shoot, then one lens is enough. and no small bag can handle that i think.unless the bag itself weighs more than 7 lbs empty... i don't see what the problem is. anything less than 25 lbs you can comfortably carry around allll day if the bag has decently padded straps anyway i want as much padding/protection for my camera as possible. i don't see these words in my future: "now most of my expensive gear lies broken inside my bag because I accidentally dropped it from 20cm, but at least my back isn't hurting..." not that i intend to drop my bag but you get the idea.
11-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Usually when I am out shooting, Claire has the MZ-S with 24-90 attached and I carry the K10 with whatever is the appropriate lens. Often this is the 400 on the tripod and the tripod carried over the shoulder. I use pipe insulation as a cushion to make it easier. The backpack is on my back with the rest of the list. I don't leave expensive gear lying around.

QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
really? i would want at least 4 lenses with me when shooting... unless i'm just going somewhere really closeby and already know what i'm going to shoot, then one lens is enough. and no small bag can handle that i think.unless the bag itself weighs more than 7 lbs empty... i don't see what the problem is. anything less than 25 lbs you can comfortably carry around allll day if the bag has decently padded straps anyway i want as much padding/protection for my camera as possible. i don't see these words in my future: "now most of my expensive gear lies broken inside my bag because I accidentally dropped it from 20cm, but at least my back isn't hurting..." not that i intend to drop my bag but you get the idea.
11-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
This is the National Geographic one I have:

National Geographic Earth Explorer National Geographic NG 5160

There's a few different sizes, but it's got (IMHO) what you're looking for.
it looks like it would work if I put 2 lenses along with all the accessories and so on in the upper compartment... not the best arrangment. is there really nothing under $500 and close to $200 that has compartments for a camera with a lens and 6-7 other lenses? like Amazon.com: Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Camera Backpack (Mica/Black): Camera & Photo has 7 compartments beside the camera compartment. that bag might cost $254 in the US but it costs $365 here.
11-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Trekker has only four compartments. A main compartment that is the full size of the bag, a tiny one in the bottom for straps and weather cover, a fairly large one on the "lid" where the flash and so forth go, and a thin one on top of that that holds the instruction manuals. The lid has three mesh pockets on the inside with zippers and holds filters, film, batteries, etc.

The main compartment is organized using the dividers that were included with the bag that stick into place with hook and loop fasteners. I have created a long compartment up the middle of the bag that allows me to carry the camera + 1.7X + 400 assembled. If the 400 is not mounted a small divider will close the bottom so the 400 is alone.

If the pack you are looking at takes these adjustable dividers, you are good to go as long as it is large enough.

it looks like it would work if I put 2 lenses along with all the accessories and so on in the upper compartment... not the best arrangment. is there really nothing under $500 and close to $200 that has compartments for a camera with a lens and 6-7 other lenses? like Amazon.com: Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Camera Backpack (Mica/Black): Camera & Photo has 7 compartments beside the camera compartment. that bag might cost $254 in the US but it costs $365 here.
11-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My Trekker has only four compartments. A main compartment that is the full size of the bag, a tiny one in the bottom for straps and weather cover, a fairly large one on the "lid" where the flash and so forth go, and a thin one on top of that that holds the instruction manuals. The lid has three mesh pockets on the inside with zippers and holds filters, film, batteries, etc.

The main compartment is organized using the dividers that were included with the bag that stick into place with hook and loop fasteners. I have created a long compartment up the middle of the bag that allows me to carry the camera + 1.7X + 400 assembled. If the 400 is not mounted a small divider will close the bottom so the 400 is alone.

If the pack you are looking at takes these adjustable dividers, you are good to go as long as it is large enough.
by compartments i meant slots like ones you get when you set up the dividers. some bags only include enough dividers for 4-5 slots which is not enough and around here (including ebay- i won't import $5 dividers from across the ocean, that's just silly) i haven't found dividers sold separately so i need them to come with the bag. if i could buy adjustable dividers and fitting paddings where they can be attached separately i could turn one trekking backpack i already have into a camera bag. but like i said i haven't found anything like that around here, and since the backbag i have only has padding on the backside but none on the front side, bottom or the sides it would be quite an arts and crafts project. i'm not against that but like i said i haven't found dividers/paddings sold separately around here. i just want a roomy bag with some dividers and decent padding for $200 or less, used if i have to. that can't be too much to ask, really, it can't. a bag does not need to cost over $200, no matter how special the manufacturer feels it is.
11-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really? i would want at least 4 lenses with me when shooting...
Sling bag is the Lowepro Slingshot 202. It holds: K-5, DA 12-24, DA*16-50, DA*60-250 and one other lens, and the O-GPS1. That's for when I don't really know what I need.

In the Computrekker is the Pentax-A 400mm, DFA 100mm macro, filters, flash gear, and any other primes I decided to take along. Plus batteries charger and cards and laptop.
11-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sling bag is the Lowepro Slingshot 202. It holds: K-5, DA 12-24, DA*16-50, DA*60-250 and one other lens, and the O-GPS1. That's for when I don't really know what I need.

In the Computrekker is the Pentax-A 400mm, DFA 100mm macro, filters, flash gear, and any other primes I decided to take along. Plus batteries charger and cards and laptop.
that's fine, that's a good setup. when I say I need a bag for at LEAST 7 lenses beside the camera, I mean I need a bag for no less than 7 lenses plus a camera. i need a bag that i can use to take everything with me at once. besides that, thank you for trying to help. finding a smaller bag to take with me when i go shooting something where i only need 1-3 lenses is easy (and i already have a bag that can hold a camera with an attached lens and another small lens). i don't need help for that. i need help in finding an affordable bag for all my gear which i find is still rather modest in amount. if it's this hard to find a bag when i only have 7 or so lenses i wonder what pain it will be (or how much it will cost) when i have more? i found some noname/unknown brand bags that are affordable and have enough room for all my gear but not enough reviews... I don't want to take a risk buying something unknown either. is it really possible that you have to shell out $400+ for a camera bag unless you only happen to own 3-4 lenses?

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-02-2013 at 03:14 PM.