Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,781
Camera bags again.

I seem to be accumulating a collection of camera bags that I use to store bits of my gear, but don't take with me. They are too big, too heavy, and I have my camera in my hand. I don't need something to pack it all. For example, yesterday I had my K5 on a monopod with the DA300. I had my F100 2.5 and DA12-24 in my pockets. When it came to swapping lenses, it was a matter of juggling things in and out of pockets, trying not to drop anything. Not satisfactory.

What I want is a way to carry a few lenses, a flash and better beamer. As small as possible, and not a backpack. A bag where swapping lenses is easy. A shoulder bag would work well.

Has anyone tried the sling type bags? Any suggestions?

11-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
Think tank makes some extreme quality products. But.. at a price. Think Tank Photo Retrospective 5 Shoulder Bag 746 B&H Photo

Personally I have a small Kata shoulder bag. It is very high quality except it looks like a camera bag, that is why my eyes are leaning to Think tank.
11-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,347
you could aslo try waistpacks. They are very handy for swapping lenses, and you have both hands free. Most of them do not take larger lenses, but on many of them you can hang a lenspouch. I have the Clik Elite Trekker Trekker | Waist Packs | Clik Elite which I use alot with my K-01. It also does fit my K-7, but not with a batterypack attached. If you use bigger lenses the reporter might be a good bag Reporter | Shoulder Bags, Waist Packs | Clik Elite both bags can carry a monopod. The reporter even a small tripod. Plus on both is that they can also be used as shoulder bags. And because of that, if you have heavier lenses, you can use the shoulderstrap to balance it better.
11-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,385
There is no perfect camera bag, period. I have five or six myself (of different sizes and purposes) and use them at times in different ways. One of these is a sling bag (actually the Pentax bag), which now supports my film Pentax 645n and three lenses very nicely. Again, there is no perfect bag.

That said, Think Tank products are excellent.

11-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 764
Check out Thinktanks Retrospective lens changer 3
Retrospective? Lens Changer 3 (Pinestone) Shoulder Bag - Think Tank
11-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
I also am a camera bag collector. (I have a set that works with my Sony NEX, and now that I have a K-3, I need to get some bags that will work with a larger camera.)

A couple of months ago, I got my husband (who has the K-30) the Lowepro Transit Sling. He likes it a lot for our urban photography explorations. In the side-access compartment, he can carry his K-30 with an 18-210 zoom (sorry, can't remember if it's Sigma or Tamron), plus a medium-sized extra lens. He also can carry a longer lens (not necessarily one that is really wide) in the main compartment. He can attach a small-medium size tripod to the side. It also has a rain cover, and there is some room for bits and bobs. A flash also would probably fit in the main compartment. The bag is quite light. This would be a good choice for a lightweight bag where you don't want to carry everything with you.

I was thinking of getting the same sling for myself, but I'm not sure I want to look like a twin beside my husband ...

By the way, I see you're in Nelson, BC. (I grew up on the West Coast, in Powell River.) If you don't have a local store where you can try out various bags and you're interested in what can really fit into the LowePro Transit sling, I can experiment at home with the various lens etc that we have to give you more precise feedback.

Last edited by frogoutofwater; 11-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.
11-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,913
A bag-less option is something like the Lowepro Technical Harness with a few of the associated pouches that might attach to the belt. I've seen event and gig photographers using these (or similar) all the time. I think I will buy one myself.

11-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,781
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I also am a camera bag collector. (I have a set that works with my Sony NEX, and now that I have a K-3, I need to get some bags that will work with a larger camera.)

A couple of months ago, I got my husband (who has the K-30) the Lowepro Transit Sling. He likes it a lot for our urban photography explorations. In the side-access compartment, he can carry his K-30 with an 18-210 zoom (sorry, can't remember if it's Sigma or Tamron), plus a medium-sized extra lens. He also can carry a longer lens (not necessarily one that is really wide) in the main compartment. He can attach a small-medium size tripod to the side. It also has a rain cover, and there is some room for bits and bobs. A flash also would probably fit in the main compartment. The bag is quite light. This would be a good choice for a lightweight bag where you don't want to carry everything with you.

I was thinking of getting the same sling for myself, but I'm not sure I want to look like a twin beside my husband ...

By the way, I see you're in Nelson, BC. (I grew up on the West Coast, in Powell River.) If you don't have a local store where you can try out various bags and you're interested in what can really fit into the LowePro Transit sling, I can experiment at home with the various lens etc that we have to give you more precise feedback.
Thanks. I'll see what the local shop has.
11-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,924
As another camera bag collector, I have also ammassed several bags over time, some with good intent, some in hindsight out of complete stupidity, but here is what I have at present, and I think, if I use it all, i can cary 100% of my kit of 52 lenses 4 dslrs and 2 flashes.

3 different size lowepro backpacks, from a micro trekker to a computrekker to a photo trekker
2 large shoulder bags (one lowepro one thinktank) both about the same size
2 hard cases roughly 15 x 22 inches.
3 small shoulder bags

here is the point, or perhaps lack of,

there is no one bag/case that is both A capable of holding all of a substantial kit, and be easuly portable for a day or 1/2 day excursion.

so, what I do is take what ever big bags/cases necessary for what ever excursion i am away on (usually a driving or flying trip) to an intermediate base, and a shoulder bag for what I would need to take with me on an out trip away from the temporary base. i.e. one to carry "everything" and one to carry a little of "everything". when out on a day away from base i usually have 2 bodies, and 3 lenses max.
11-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,461
"I seem to be accumulating a collection of camera bags..."
"There is no perfect camera bag, period. I have five or six myself..."
"I also am a camera bag collector."
"As another camera bag collector, I have also ammassed several bags over time..."

Geez...this sounds like the beginnings of a support group. One I'll have to join, btw, because I, too, have a collection of bags. I do pretty much what Lowell describes...I have a couple of larger bags that holds almost all my gear, then when I go out to shoot something, I'll take only the things I anticipate needing that day and load them in a Domke bag.
11-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Senior Member
JenniferLeigh's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 281
I gave up trying to find the perfect camera bag. I was looking for something stylish yet functional but it seemed like these bags came at a hefty price. I ended up buying a cheap insert from Amazon, it's perfect. I can use it with any bag that fits. I found a great faux leather shoulder bag with a multiple pockets which makes for my perfect camera bag and for under $50.

Using a shoulder bag allows me to easily swap lenses over an open bag, works well for me. I've never tried a sling.

Here is the insert I use: insert by Camaroo

It fits my k5 w/16-40 + 55-300. The flap is detachable, which I usually add to the bottom for extra padding.
11-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member
NicoleC's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 448
QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
I gave up trying to find the perfect camera bag. I was looking for something stylish yet functional but it seemed like these bags came at a hefty price. I ended up buying a cheap insert from Amazon, it's perfect. I can use it with any bag that fits
I'm still trying to find a cross-body purse that an insert will fit in and leave room for a few other purse things that doesn't have a giant messenger bag flap. I agree the Camaroo look the best of the batch.

I could live with the Lowepro sling but the fabric looks like a nasty cheap duffle bag. And the Tenba messenger mini looks good except coughing up that kind of cash sight unseen, and what I hear is extra loud velcro on the top... which won't work if I am trying to sneak up on a critter.

So I keep dragging around this bag I don't particularly like (with a &^%$* top flap!) because it beats paying money for something else that doesn't work quite right.
11-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,805
My most used bag is my Tamrac Rally 6. (mine is in black color)
There are smaller ones in the series, maybe one of those will work for you?
11-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,924
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I'm still trying to find a cross-body purse that an insert will fit in and leave room for a few other purse things that doesn't have a giant messenger bag flap. I agree the Camaroo look the best of the batch.

I could live with the Lowepro sling but the fabric looks like a nasty cheap duffle bag. And the Tenba messenger mini looks good except coughing up that kind of cash sight unseen, and what I hear is extra loud velcro on the top... which won't work if I am trying to sneak up on a critter.

So I keep dragging around this bag I don't particularly like (with a &^%$* top flap!) because it beats paying money for something else that doesn't work quite right.
I use a Fossel shoulder bag that my wife refers to as a man purse, it can hold a K10 with a tamron 28-75/2.8 and my sigma 10-20, along with another similar sized lens, although there is no padding inside. Normally, I go out with this bag, which can hold my iPod, cell phone, wallet and 3-4 M42 primes (each in a small pouch) with the camera either set on top, or normally in hand. It has a zippered top, and a flap, as well as a separate zippered front pouch for batteries, memory cards etc.

The beauty of it is it looks nothing like a camera bag. It is a great walk around, and with a 2 inch wide strap, pretty easy on the shoulder. The strap is long enough to go across your body, so you have it secure and can work hands free without it either slipping off, or being afraid of someone doing a grab and run
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bag, bags, camera, camera bags, lenses, pockets, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camera Bags - decent manufacturers? edgedemon Photographic Industry and Professionals 20 08-24-2013 05:39 PM
For Sale - Sold: Domke classic camera bags ChrisPlatt Sold Items 2 08-25-2012 09:47 AM
Sale on camera crumpler camera bags!! madisonphotogrl Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 15 02-23-2009 10:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top