Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ok, I just ordered two (OpTechs) for Pentax.
I'll report back to see how they work!

11-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ok, I just ordered two (OpTechs) for Pentax.
I'll report back to see how they work!
Well, I got the OpTech caps, and while they are great quality, I don't think they are going to work for me.

The O-Ring in the caps align with the lens pins, and as you tighten the cap, you are in essence rubbing the O-Ring against the lens pins.

Not good in my opinion.

Besides, the WR of Pentax lenses use an O-Ring that is at the periphery of the lens mount ring.

Subtle details, but the O-Tech caps are out for me.

Oh well.

11-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have one that I think came with a Sigma lens that I bought. It says For SA / KPR. It is an end cap for the K mount lenses.

On my DA*300 it mates with the WR gasket. This is what they look like. As you can see, the inner diameter fits the K bayonet, and the outer diameter is larger. They are unusual for a lens cap as you need to line up a mark with the red dot on the lens or they don't go on.

It seems you get a body cap as well as a lens cap here. Not certain if the body cap would be useful.

2X Rear Lens Cap for Sigma SA KPR SD9 SD14 Body SA Mount | eBay

Last edited by derekkite; 11-13-2013 at 11:33 PM.
11-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I have one that I think came with a Sigma lens that I bought. It says For SA / KPR. It is an end cap for the K mount lenses.

On my DA*300 it mates with the WR gasket. This is what they look like. As you can see, the inner diameter fits the K bayonet, and the outer diameter is larger. They are unusual for a lens cap as you need to line up a mark with the red dot on the lens or they don't go on.

It seems you get a body cap as well as a lens cap here. Not certain if the body cap would be useful.

2X Rear Lens Cap for Sigma SA KPR SD9 SD14 Body SA Mount | eBay
Interesting.

I have some Sigma brand lens caps, so I wonder if these "knock-off" are modeled after them?

Now to go and find the Sigma caps in my "spare-cap" storage.

11-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The main problem with the Sigma caps is that they can go on only at a specific angle, otherwise they will not attach and often get stuck at odd angles. I really do not like them, enough that when I met a Sigma rep, I told him so. "I know..." was his answer.
11-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
There are all kinds of rear lens cap designs floating around for 3D printing-- Someone could download one and make a few improvements, notably making the flange so it seals. I think printing something of that size would cost $8-$10, with cost going down as numbers go up. Maybe if we all wanted a few volume price would bring it down!!! I'm currently stuck with lenses in a drybag when the weather is iffy...
Here's my version, not sure if it'll be useful for anyone though. I figure there are probably about 3 people out there with both a Pentax DSLR and a 3D Printer. If the dimensions are off by more than a few tenths of a millimeter it won't fit correctly. I don't use actually use any WR lenses, but wanted a rear lens cap that fits securely (the Pentax caps sometimes come loose, especially with my MF lenses) and I wanted a shorter cap (it's about 3mm / 20% thinner than the standard caps).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pentax Rear Lens Cap v1-2.zip (1.73 MB, 30 views)
11-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
Here's my version, not sure if it'll be useful for anyone though. I figure there are probably about 3 people out there with both a Pentax DSLR and a 3D Printer. If the dimensions are off by more than a few tenths of a millimeter it won't fit correctly. I don't use actually use any WR lenses, but wanted a rear lens cap that fits securely (the Pentax caps sometimes come loose, especially with my MF lenses) and I wanted a shorter cap (it's about 3mm / 20% thinner than the standard caps).
Wow..that is SWEEEET.

While I have a Metal Mill and Lathe, I do not have a 3D printer (yet).

Awesome!