Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Simple Lens Cap Upgrade Needed

I know it's no big deal, but I can't believe that Pentax/Ricoh has not done the rear lens-cap upgrade to WR lenses yet.

What am I talking about?

The Rear Pentax lens cap, was updated around the SMC-A era to protect the "A" contacts of Pentax lenses.

For years and years it has worked and been backward compatible.

Now, as you can see, the rear cap needs to have a wider "flange" so that WR lenses are WR with their rear lens caps on.

I don't know why this has not been talked about before?

I think this is a big deal, as I have many WR lenses that are not WR unless they are mounted to a camera.
Sometimes my gear has the risk of getting soaked, and an updated rear cap would do the trick.

How do we get Pentax/Ricoh to fix this?

11-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are all kinds of rear lens cap designs floating around for 3D printing-- Someone could download one and make a few improvements, notably making the flange so it seals. I think printing something of that size would cost $8-$10, with cost going down as numbers go up. Maybe if we all wanted a few volume price would bring it down!!! I'm currently stuck with lenses in a drybag when the weather is iffy...
11-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
There are all kinds of rear lens cap designs floating around for 3D printing-- Someone could download one and make a few improvements, notably making the flange so it seals. I think printing something of that size would cost $8-$10, with cost going down as numbers go up. Maybe if we all wanted a few volume price would bring it down!!! I'm currently stuck with lenses in a drybag when the weather is iffy...
So, I am not the only one who has noticed this!?!
11-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
First time I saw this I had asked the lens owner what had happened to the original lens cap... haha.

11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I hadn't 'till now.

But then we all know I'm as thick as mince.
11-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, I never even thought about it. Generally I'm not changing lenses out in the field and the 18-135 is my only WR lens. But now that you mention it I must have one! Or even better lens caps to replace the standard which have a silicone layer to cover the contacts on any lens...
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it has been mentioned before on this forum, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up again!

Steve

11-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sometimes my gear has the risk of getting soaked, and an updated rear cap would do the trick.

How do we get Pentax/Ricoh to fix this?
Well get busy on your lathe with some acetal bar stock !
11-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Well get busy on your lathe with some acetal bar stock !
LOL. If I could somehow work the little "flange-ramps" on the inside of the cap, I would have done it a long time ago!

11-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I can make useable bayonet mounts by cutting the unwanted parts away with a die grinder burr in the mill-drill.
But I'd like a small rotary index table to do a neater job.

But I reckon you could machine a generic rear lens cap smooth, then make a weather seal rim out of acetal and press fit it on the cap.
I made a press fit front cap for P 110 18mm long time ago, I thought it would gradually get looser, but no, that acetal holds its shape.

Try that. Then everybody can send their caps to you and you can weather-seal them ( ....for $1 each, special , to pf members ! )
11-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I can make useable bayonet mounts by cutting the unwanted parts away with a die grinder burr in the mill-drill.
But I'd like a small rotary index table to do a neater job.

But I reckon you could machine a generic rear lens cap smooth, then make a weather seal rim out of acetal and press fit it on the cap.
I made a press fit front cap for P 110 18mm long time ago, I thought it would gradually get looser, but no, that acetal holds its shape.

Try that. Then everybody can send their caps to you and you can weather-seal them ( ....for $1 each, special , to pf members ! )
You handy/talented people make me feel so inadequate.
11-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I think this is a big deal, as I have many WR lenses that are not WR unless they are mounted to a camera.
I would never have thought that this could be a problem until you mentioned it. I tend not to change lenses in bad conditions since the camera and lenses are exposed during the change, and carry my stuff in a weatherproof bag, but still, I understand why this can be a problem.
11-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It would be very nice feature to have... Security measures are always short of enough and this one wouldnīt add any weight or bulk to the system. But, thinking it through, I canīt imagine a situation where this could save the lens from getting humidity or dust inside... If the other measures have already been compromised, then the sealed rear cap wonīt be of much importance...
11-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #14

Op Tech has caps with O rings to help keep out dust and moisture. OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap

Regards
11-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
Op Tech has caps with O rings to help keep out dust and moisture. OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap

Regards
Very cool!!!!

Has anyone used these?

Recommendations?