Photos: Gallery
Another simple question

I am buying a Pentax 540 Flash. I have a K100D
and I need to be able to trigger it off-camera without
firing off my on-camera flash.

Do I need something like Pocket-Wizards if
so does any pocket wizard fit on my camera and
work with my flash?

If I need pocket-wizards would I need to buy 2 of these?

04-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

you need something extra. there are many options, some offering p-ttl, some manual. do a forum search, this has been discussed before. several times. i have been contemplating the need for a knowledge base article on this much asked question. especially since a complete answer would be very long.
04-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
you need something extra. there are many options, some offering p-ttl, some manual. do a forum search, this has been discussed before. several times. i have been contemplating the need for a knowledge base article on this much asked question. especially since a complete answer would be very long.
I have searched but it's very confusing all the answers.

That's why I am asking in a very simple way.
04-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

NY, what are your requirements for using the 540 off camera? do you need PTTL control?

04-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

to answer your pw question, yes you need two, yes they work on a k100d, they work on any camera that has a hotshoe. they will work with the 540 provided that the port on it is a pc sync port, i think it is but i dont have one here so i cant say for sure. if not then a different cable would be needed, the cable that comes with the pws is for connecting to pc sync ports.
04-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
NY, what are your requirements for using the 540 off camera? do you need PTTL control?
PTTL?

I keep hearing that (PTTL) though I never really got it.

I want to start doing portraits,news,events.....
04-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
PTTL?

I keep hearing that (PTTL) though I never really got it.

I want to start doing portraits,news,events.....
PTTL is pentax's through the lens (TTL) metering. it fires off a pre-burst on the flash before the picture to calculate how much power is required from the flash, so that you don't have to play with manual settings. this is NOT available using current radio triggers (PWs, GI triggers, Skyports), because it requires the flash communicate with the camera, which radio triggers do not do, at the moment. if you DO want to make use of this mode, you can use the camera's pop-up flash as a wireless controller, and even set it so that it does not contribute to the actual exposure.

04-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

if you dont even know what pttl is then you need to read a flash primer before even considering a pair of triggers at 180 dollars each.

go to PENTAX Digital SLR - The New Classic and watch the flash tutorial videos for starters
04-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
if you DO want to make use of this mode, you can use the camera's pop-up flash as a wireless controller, and even set it so that it does not contribute to the actual exposure.
but not with a k100d. only options for pttl there are either an off camera pttl cord or a second flash on camera to fire the off camera one. buying a 360 just to trigger a 540 is still cheaper than 2 PWs though.
04-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

d'oh. i thought it say k10d. i need to quit reading so fast..
04-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
buying a 360 just to trigger a 540 is still cheaper than 2 PWs though.
Thanks for that.

I think I am just going to get the 540 and worry about off-camera flash later.
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

just some quick thoughts

1-are you married to the 540? nothing against the flash--i have a vivitar 285 and a pentax 360 myself--but if i could re-do, i might have gotten 2 vivitars for less than one pentax 360. for my current use and skill, i see no major difference

2-didnt see anyone mention the ebay-sold wireless triggers--the name escapes me, but they are oft-mentioned, and while they may not be pocket wizards, i count them as among the best 50 bucks i've spent on camera gear
04-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
just some quick thoughts

1-are you married to the 540? nothing against the flash--i have a vivitar 285 and a pentax 360 myself--but if i could re-do, i might have gotten 2 vivitars for less than one pentax 360. for my current use and skill, i see no major difference
No I'm single. I don't know of the other companies and nobody speaks
of them. I only hear about the Pentax ones so that's all I know.

2-didnt see anyone mention the ebay-sold wireless triggers--the name escapes me, but they are oft-mentioned, and while they may not be pocket wizards, i count them as among the best 50 bucks i've spent on camera gear
And will that work with this whole P-TTL business.
04-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

i meant married, in the sense that some folks are pretty much brand-specific, not wanting a non-branded item in their kit...

sunpak also makes what I know to be a decent flash for under 100 bucks. I got the vivitar 285 from adorama for under 100, and all things considered, I like it better. It might offer less, but it also requires less reading of the manual. perfect for me

I admittedly don't know a great deal about the P-TTL (I have catch up to do)

but I do have the viv, the 360 and the ebay-sold wireless triggers, and it works fine. the self portrait photo I posted on here was taken firing both flashes using the wireless trigger, and I know at least a few others on here that use them, or did. As I understand things, you definetly get a lot with the Pocket Wizards, but the cost is also a lot more than the cactus triggers (thats what the ones on ebay are called)

Added bonus for me, is the cactus triggers have a tripod thread on the bottom, so once on your flash, you can mount the flash to a tripod via the remote cactus unit. I've used cheap walmart tripods and the gorillapods as light stands, the gorillapods work great because they are nice and flexible and small.

also, for more on cheap flash unit recommendations, if you don't already, look at strobist. its a good resource, a lot of my lighting knowledge I've built from there. It's what made me opt for the vivitar flash
04-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i meant married, in the sense that some folks are pretty much brand-specific, not wanting a non-branded item in their kit...
I know lol it was a joke.

sunpak also makes what I know to be a decent flash for under 100 bucks. I got the vivitar 285 from adorama for under 100, and all things considered, I like it better. It might offer less, but it also requires less reading of the manual. perfect for me

I admittedly don't know a great deal about the P-TTL (I have catch up to do)

but I do have the viv, the 360 and the ebay-sold wireless triggers, and it works fine. the self portrait photo I posted on here was taken firing both flashes using the wireless trigger, and I know at least a few others on here that use them, or did. As I understand things, you definetly get a lot with the Pocket Wizards, but the cost is also a lot more than the cactus triggers (thats what the ones on ebay are called)

Added bonus for me, is the cactus triggers have a tripod thread on the bottom, so once on your flash, you can mount the flash to a tripod via the remote cactus unit. I've used cheap walmart tripods and the gorillapods as light stands, the gorillapods work great because they are nice and flexible and small.

also, for more on cheap flash unit recommendations, if you don't already, look at strobist. its a good resource, a lot of my lighting knowledge I've built from there. It's what made me opt for the vivitar flash

Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

THANK YOU