Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #1

Teleconverters

Hello, I am in serious need of some guidance concerning teleconverters, they will be used with the K100 D. I have a 70 - 210 f4 and a 50 MM f2 both "A" type, also the FA J 75 - 300 MM.
So I bought a Seikanon K mount 2X multi power, easy macro extender [the lens is removable] to allow the unit to be used for high magnification macro work.
My problem is that as soon as I connect it to the camera nothing on the camera will work, with nothing attached the body goes through the motion of taking a picture but once I attach the converter with or without a lens the camera freezes, the top display shows only a flashing Av----.

The unit is in excellent as new condition. Full description is Multi Power Auto 2X for PK.
I am relatively new digital SLR's but have a long history with the film variety.
If anybody can set me straight I will be most grateful.

Thanks, Don.

04-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thingy Quote
Hello, I am in serious need of some guidance concerning teleconverters, they will be used with the K100 D. I have a 70 - 210 f4 and a 50 MM f2 both "A" type, also the FA J 75 - 300 MM.
So I bought a Seikanon K mount 2X multi power, easy macro extender [the lens is removable] to allow the unit to be used for high magnification macro work.
My problem is that as soon as I connect it to the camera nothing on the camera will work, with nothing attached the body goes through the motion of taking a picture but once I attach the converter with or without a lens the camera freezes, the top display shows only a flashing Av----.

The unit is in excellent as new condition. Full description is Multi Power Auto 2X for PK.
I am relatively new digital SLR's but have a long history with the film variety.
If anybody can set me straight I will be most grateful.

Thanks, Don.
what level of automation does the converter support. An 'A' lense is no longer an 'A' lens unless you have an 'A' converter which forwards all the electric signals---identifiable by the steel balls on the flange.

Also for the most part your lenses are ill suited for converter use---particularly
the FAJ one because it is already so slow that the light meter will be out of range to be functional. This won't create the problem you have but will create bad exposures
04-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
what level of automation does the converter support. An 'A' lense is no longer an 'A' lens unless you have an 'A' converter which forwards all the electric signals---identifiable by the steel balls on the flange.

Also for the most part your lenses are ill suited for converter use---particularly
the FAJ one because it is already so slow that the light meter will be out of range to be functional. This won't create the problem you have but will create bad exposures
Hello, thank you for your prompt input. Yes I had noticed the absence of any contacts on the converter while my "A" lens does have one, so I presumed that the camera would be reduced to fully manual operation which I usually use anyway, instead it becomes completely inoperative.

Regarding the lenses I am planning two future purchases, first a FA100/2.8 Macro and later the FA* 200 f2.8 which I hope will work with a converter to give me all the range that I need.

Don.
04-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thingy Quote
Hello, thank you for your prompt input. Yes I had noticed the absence of any contacts on the converter while my "A" lens does have one, so I presumed that the camera would be reduced to fully manual operation which I usually use anyway, instead it becomes completely inoperative.

Regarding the lenses I am planning two future purchases, first a FA100/2.8 Macro and later the FA* 200 f2.8 which I hope will work with a converter to give me all the range that I need.

Don.
You need to go into the custom menu and set [Use Aperture Ring] to [Permitted] to allow manual f/stops to be set on the aperture ring. Once you do that, your lens will work with the converter on the back. I have no idea whatsoever why it defaults to [Prohibited]. The lenses set to A still work the same whichever setting is there. Oh, well, my mind just doesn't work like the designer's.

04-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You need to go into the custom menu and set [Use Aperture Ring] to [Permitted] to allow manual f/stops to be set on the aperture ring. Once you do that, your lens will work with the converter on the back. I have no idea whatsoever why it defaults to [Prohibited]. The lenses set to A still work the same whichever setting is there. Oh, well, my mind just doesn't work like the designer's.
Hello Albert, marvelous! You nailed it perfectly. I contacted two camera stores prior to starting this post and they could not tell me what was wrong. Thank you very much for your help in this matter.

Regards,

Don.