Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax AF200S Flash

I took a chance on a Pentax AF200S flash at my local thrift store. I figured for $5,how could I go wrong. Of course it doesn't work. All outward signs are that it is in good condition. Any idea how if the bulb can be replaced or how i can test for what may be broken/wrong with it. thanks.

11-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you don't know what your doing, DON'T go messing inside a flash, there's a capacitor in there which stores electrical power and bangs it out at a very high voltage, it is genuinely dangerous.

Most likely, the battery contacts are dirty, you might get them clean with an eraser on the end of a pencil, you can also buy a pen like thing called a contact cleaner that is a mildly abrasive brush and is perfect for these awkward contacts. Any electrical store should have them.
If the contacts have been eaten by the acid from leaking batteries the corrosion can be cleaned and neutralised with vinegar, just a small amount on an artists paint brush will do and then mop it up by pushing some paper towel down the battery compartment to soak it up.

A lot of flash units don't seem to like rechargeable batteries either, I was trying some old flash's the other day with nickel metal hydride rechargeables and thought they weren't working, but they were fine with regular Duracell's. I don't think the rechargeables deliver the power quick enough, or something like that.
11-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
A lot of flash units don't seem to like rechargeable batteries either, I was trying some old flash's the other day with nickel metal hydride rechargeables and thought they weren't working, but they were fine with regular Duracell's. I don't think the rechargeables deliver the power quick enough, or something like that.
I've noticed this, too. I have a box of old flashes that I've picked up over the years and I was going through them last weekend trying to see what works and what doesn't. I gave up using my rechargeable batteries because they often wouldn't bring the flash all the way up to the 'ready' point. Also, to the OP, don't give up too quickly. Some of my old flashes took a long time to get up to full power, but once there they seemed to work just fine and would come up a lot quicker the next time. I don't know if they were having to recharge the capacitor or what. I also ran into one that wouldn't come up to full power on batteries, but had no problem when I used it on A/C power. I just labeled its problem and will use it as a background light or for table top stuff.