Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ProMediaGear Tomahawk - great hardware

Recently saw another member rave about their Boomerang flash bracket, and @LaurenOE's previous review of the Katana prompted me to get one when I was in the market for a gimbal. http://www.promediagear.com/

The ProMediagear stuff is incredibly high quality machined masterpieces, with smooth ball bearing action and a joy to use.

If anything their solid build makes them a little on the heavier side but the ruggedness and craftsmanship is fantastic.

Recently I have been considering getting a Sidekick style gimbal to be able to have some options for switching from/to a ballhead when out in the field, and since the ProMediagear version was not much more than the Wimberly and Jobu units I had researched I decided to stick with their offering, the Tomahawk.

When I opened the box I was not disappointed at all as the unit uses the same upper bearing swivel as the one from the Katana, and build quality is as good as the other units in the company's line up.
The design uses a dual bracket bridge style for the main arm and doesn't have a cradle which makes the unit less than half the weight of the Katana.
The dual built in Arca compatible foot can be installed from the side or on top of the ball head, and from the side my DA*300 lens is perfectly centered over the ball head.

Currently I have a Benro B1 ball head on my Benro travel angel tripod that I will use with this setup, and it seems to handle the resulting weight fine.
After some use I will re-evaluate if the ball is beefy enough.

Here are some pictures of the Tomahak and it's big brother the Katana.

Last edited by crewl1; 11-09-2013 at 12:11 AM.
11-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Larry,

I was not aware of the Tomahawk, otherwise I would have considered it when I went for the Wimberley Sidekick. It looks to be of better quality and I like the 90 deg mounting alternative...could be useful. But just at looking at your photo, the SK seems a bit more compact, certainly with less 'appendages.'

I also have the Benro Travel Angel (looks to be the same model...was the flagship CF when I bought it last year), and I used it + the SK for the Sigma 500 f/4.5 with no issues. I replaced the B1 with a Photoclam though, specifically the 36mm model, which I just learned was discontinued. But I went with the 36 because it was exactly the same size and wouldn't detract from the compactness folded up (i.e. make the legs stick out further). I have found the upgrade to be very, very well worth it over the B1 (although not a bad ballhead).

-Heie
11-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Heie for the comments. What made you switch to the Photoclam?
Did the Benro struggle with the weight of the 500?
11-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Highly, highly sweet.
So much awesomeness in those pics!
Thanks for the shout-out!!!

I had my K3 and Katana kicking some serious bootie today at my niece's soccer!!!
I LOVE ProMediaGear stuff!!!

11-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Highly, highly sweet.
So much awesomeness in those pics!
I LOVE ProMediaGear stuff!!!

I agree 100%