Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
This is a very valid point, but I was thinking mainly about bodies with the last few generations of Sony Exmor sensors (Kx and newer, K-5 and newer). I should have been more specific. . . but I did say "much higher ISO with little degradation of IQ". With the earlier CCD and CMOS sensors, flash power requirements were not much different from film.

Scott
I regularly use the K100D at 800 ISO with flash.

Even with my K-5 a more powerful flash helps a lot with modifiers and bouncing. I will say the high ISO is great for helping freeze motion, my Yongnuo is around 1/20000s at 1/128 power and that is very little light in a lot of situations, so 6400 is needed. Unless you plan on packing light for some reason, you really can't have too much flash power. I'd recommend at least 35m @ 50mm if you plan on getting into more creative lighting.

11-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ArneTorp Quote
The Metz 58 AF-2 is sold for $450 - are the features it offers worth the difference?
Sigma flashes in my experience perform well when working, but their reliability is highly questionable. I had one break after a year of use. I have an old style Sunpak that has lasted at least 13 years. My Metz 52 was a professional tool. I'd suggest you purchase a flash with a thyristor as shooting in Auto mode can bring better results than PTTL.

M
04-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

What about the Pentax AF 500 FTZ?

What do I lose out on with this flash connected to my K3?

I ask because one can find one of these for under $200 on eBay.

Thanks
04-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
What about the Pentax AF 500 FTZ?

What do I lose out on with this flash connected to my K3?
No pTTL (and TTL does not work with the K-3). So it's a full manual flash.

// Edit
PS
It would probably have been better to start a new thread instead of reviving an old one. Problem is that people don't pay attention to dates and will happily reply to the initial post

Last edited by sterretje; 04-20-2015 at 10:53 PM.