Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Amvona/dynatran tripod kit

So I finally have all the stuff I ordered from Amvona.

Nomad L102T legs
http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2991

Nice and light. Supports alot of weight. Center shaft is nice and short. Twist locks operate well. I got the 3 piece legs instead of the 4 piece 'cause I didnt want unnecessary links and it takes longer to set the more locks you have. Only real disappointment is that the leg angle locks are plastic. Worried about those busting eventually. While its no bogen etc in price they are a good chunk of change.

Telos ATH-A02 ball head.
http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=3075

Got it off ebay for $45 not off the website. (after they told me my other head was backordered) Anyhow, I'm seriously impressed with it. Its frikken huge! rubberized knobs, resistance adjustment, seperate pan lock. Its worlds better than the cheap head I had before. I can't stop fiddling with it at my desk. Only thing is there are a couple edges they didnt deburr very well, but I can live with it.

Anyhow, it all looks like pretty good stuff even given the mediocre service I got. They shipped my legs and notified me two days later that the head I originally ordered was back ordered with no date to get more.

04-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Igilligan

I have that same head with the At-A103 carbon fiber legs... I really like my set up.

For times when weight is not an issue, their pistol grip head is pretty nice too. I have one on a different (heavier) tripod and I like it a lot.

There are some complaints about lack of service. But for me these have been good solid
1st tripod / head combos. And hands down better than what I was using before.
And buying off of ebay I got some really good prices.
04-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
and I hope you like the smell of turpentine! Mine took a good couple weeks of airing out before it was somewhat tolerable and I'm still concerned about it lighting up like a torch if anyone introduces a spark to it. I got their panning head on the tripod that I ordered from them... seems to be very solidly built. After dropping my previous tripod, the amnova one fit the bill just fine. The leveler on my tripod was dry but after a few emails and calls, they sent me a couple replacement levelers, but with no way to attach them. But I had some shoe goo and that has seemed to do the trick. All in all, I'm very pleased with the setup.
04-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
and I hope you like the smell of turpentine! Mine took a good couple weeks of airing out before it was somewhat tolerable and I'm still concerned about it lighting up like a torch if anyone introduces a spark to it.
No weird smells coming from my setup.

04-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Igilligan

Its the extra rubber feet that had the horrible smell with mine... The rubber smells like Petrol chemical... I left them in the sun for a week or two.

If you did not get extra feet for the legs, you are probably ok.
04-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

LOL, my Amvona stuff, after 4 months sitting indoor, the smell is still there. It's unbearable the first time I got my pan head.
04-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Same deal with me, smelled like industrial solvents, very strong.... I opened everything up, extended the tripod legs and left it in the garage for a few weeks. That did the trick. Pretty sweet little set of carbon legs for the price. Compact and light as a feather, aside from the stink (which isn't that big of a deal, if you know it ahead of time) pretty solid piece of kit. I ordered another tripod for my dad and it smelled the same way....

04-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
man i have the same thing! except i have the ath-03 (it was like $30) and its rock solid. anyway, i'm not as impressed with the legs, because the third and smallest sections are very thin and weak. also, my center column rotates!! that is my #1 complaint! anyway, glad you're happy i hope it lasts a long time for you! i know my head will, but i don't know about the legs...
04-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I really love my Amvona tripod. My tripod didnt smell when I got it but the carry bag did. I left it out in the garage until the odor subsided.
04-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a variety of Amvona products around the studio. Some muslins, lights, light stands, tripods, heads, etc. Acquired over the last few years from eBay and direct purchase. Pretty much everything comes shoddily packaged in cheap cardboard with a few peanuts and smelling of industrial solvents. Their shipping prices are unreasonable, almost to the point that they negate the great prices on their Chinese made knock-off goods.

The muslins are usually in good shape, although the dye job can be inconsistent on solids. The tripod legs are sturdy, but they smell like chemicals for months and can make your vehicle or studio smell bad as well. I've had two of their ATH ball heads go bad on me with stripped bolt holes on the bottom mount. My current grip head is holding up fine, though. Their lights and light stands are a good deal if you can keep from getting in a bidding war on eBay.

Couple more things I forgot to mention: there are no instructions in the packaging. If you are buying something complex, like studio lighting, you might get lucky and find a one or two page diagram on their web site if you dig for it. The lighting systems and tripods usually come with nice zippered bags.

Last edited by ericc; 04-05-2008 at 08:30 AM.