Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW I bought a Manfrotto tripod after buying a monopod from the same company. I was really impressed by the quality and feel of the monopod so spent the extra to pick up the matching tripod.

Plus I needed something pretty hefty to support the Bigma. I'd owned a cheap tripod previously and wouldn't trust a P&S to it any more.

04-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

One indelible memory I had many, many years ago was when I witnessed first hand a cheap tripod come crashing down and the look on the face of the photo enthusiast as he picked up his ruined Leica R3 body and lens.

I resolved never to buy a cheap and flimsy tripod from then onwards. I've used Manfrottos for many years and they are dependable. Not too light weight wise but they offer very good value. For many years, I've had several for different uses simply because of the weight issue. I've since switched to Gitzo carbon fibre and now I only carry 1 tripod for all my needs. My present tripod weights 1 kg and with a ballhead, it weights less than 1.5 kg in total, so I have no excuse not to carry it. Gitzo's G-Lock is really amazing because I can open my tripod fully and lock it in just over 10 seconds and it locks even stronger the greater the load. BTW Gitzo and Manfrotto are under the same parent company and are made in Italy.

To me it's skewed logic to spend good money for expensive cameras and lenses, only to put them on a flimsy and precarious tripod that does not provide peace of mind. My personal opinion of many made in China tripods is they may look good but they may not stand the test of time. But cheap, buy twice.
04-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #33
Forum Member

i'm happy with my amvona ebay tripods. Does the job and the quality isn't half bad either
04-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #34
Inactive Account

JC, have you looked at Manfrotto's PDF online catalog? There is a bit of good information on selecting the right legs and heads. That sort of info should be good for any set of legs and various heads from any manufacturer out there. That would be a good place to start.

http://www.manfrotto.com/webdav/site/manfrotto/shared/pdf/catalogues/GB_MANF...alogue2007.pdf

04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #35
Kim

I have an Amvona AT-A105T carbon fiber legs and an ATH-A04 ballhead.

I must say that I'm very disappointed with these.

Build quality and workmanship is a joke. The ballhead was full of debris from the machining and hardly moved at all untill I took it apar, cleaned and lubricated everything. Now it moves, but thats about it.

Two legs have already come off and I had to glue them back with epoxy.

The bubble levels aren't level or anywhere close.

The quick attachment plate is loose so that the camera wobbles when it's mounted. This easily leads to tilted pics.

The Amvona stickers look absolutely hideous.

Last time out and hiking a bit one of the leg sections got stuck and can not be extended.

I could go on and on. By far the worst tripod I have ever had. Oh well serves me right I guess for trying the cheap way out.

Quality brand tripods for me from now on.
04-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Forgot this link in my last link. I like my Cameron tripod and head combination. Give this a look over. It is cheaper then some of the others, and so far has stood up to some abuse.

http://www.boothphoto.com/pub/Cameron/Cameron%20Tripods.pdf

and a video.

Booth Photographic - Cameron Tripod
04-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #37
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JC, Although I don't own any Cameron gear, I was taking a portrait and lighting class last weekend and all the tripods there were from them. Very nice carbon fibre legs and the heads are very smooth and well made. Essentially copies of Gitzo and Arca designs. Very similar QR plates etc. The CF legs were about 3 Lbs and sturdy. The centre columns had a hook to hang a camera bag or weight to hold them down in windy conditions. Very versatile and I'd highly recommend them.

04-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #38
Inactive Account

I just picked up a SLIK PRO700DX from my local shop for $129 including the head. This thing is very stout. Can't wait to use it! I have occasionally used the cheapy one that my grandfather gave me for high school photog. class for about 18 years. No comparison.
04-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #39
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
I just picked up a SLIK PRO700DX from my local shop for $129 including the head. This thing is very stout. Can't wait to use it! I have occasionally used the cheapy one that my grandfather gave me for high school photog. class for about 18 years. No comparison.
I have a 700DX that I've been using for over ten years and I've never had any complaint. One thing I love is I never have to extend the center column unless I'm standing on something. I normally have it mated with the 800 Ball head (uses the same round QR plates as the Pan head) and it holds everything from my ZX-10 to an RB-67 without every giving a problem.

I do have a cheap Amvona AT-858B and ball head (don't remember the model) that I keep in my car trunk for unplanned use, along with a Tracks Walking stick with a Bogen Flex Head attached.
04-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #40

I've got an asian-made copy of the Manfrotto 055 leg set, (I've seen the same leg set branded with a few different brands, mine says Fancier). It is solid and works well. On that I added a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head and the setup works very well for me.
04-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #41
jlp
Forum Member

JC:

The initial question has been answered re:specific or generic. As to the camera mounting methodology for a monopod (and I believe that was the real original question) there are plenty of options (and opinions.) Pretty much accepted is you don't need a ball head on a monopod (see article) Jeffrey Friedl’s Blog Blog Archive My New Monopod

A lower cost option to the setup Mr. Friedl ended up with is to use the Manfrotto 3229 quick release head and forgo the RRS Arca-Swiss style release; I use one on my Feisol and it's effective, but I don't trust the QR function 100% (see text down the page). However, if you want ultimate interchangabiliy (e.g., multiple tripods, monopod, heads) you should decide on which standard you want (Arca-Swiss is more universal, Bogen/Manfrotto proprietary, etc.) That said, and to reflect on your initial questions regarding the grip, here is a note I received from a friend (who I recommended a Markin M10 to because the Wimberly sidekick he bought won't mount to a non-Arca-Swiss release) ". . . I did end buying a Markins M10 and love it. When I was in Arizona I had my D300 on the Manfrotto (grip) and was moving my tripod. Now, every time I put it on, I make sure that the unit is locked and tight. Well, I heard a ‘click’ and the quick release plate did just that – but fortunately I had one hand on the strap as well – saving the D300. Last year the same thing happened with my D200 and my prized 70-200 VR lens – my reflexes caught it before it slammed into the pavement. So, not wanting to try for a third time – I sold it (the Manfrotto grip) and all the plates . . . "

And one on ball heads if you are so inclined (recommended reading) Update: Pro Ball Head Review - compares ball heads to give sharper photos & solid video support

. . . and if you are looking to replace the monopod too Some musings on monopods - Open Photography Forums

Lots of information and opinions available on the net; it comes down to need, affordability, and personal preference. Good luck.

Last edited by jlp; 04-12-2008 at 02:17 PM.
04-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

*snip*

When I do get ready to buy, this may be a 2-part affair. What I may do first is to replace the head on my existing tripod and then later replace the legs. The pan head I have on the tripod now is a pain in the butt to deal with, so a smoother operating ball head would be most welcome.

Heather
Heather, I can highly recommend the Bogen/Manfrotto 488 "midi" ball head. It will hold my K10D and my SMC 300mm F4.0 rock steady. One of the nicest things about it is that it has a pan release screw so that you can change the camera horizontal direction easily w/o having to undo all the rest. It also comes in a whole bunch of quick release configurations. I'm at work so I don't have the exact dimensions, but it will add about 3 to 4 inches to your tripod height. They're not cheap (slightly over 100USD with a quick release) and kinda heavy, but they will hold pretty much any camera+lens you can attach.

NaCl(the head is almost as important as the legs imho)H2O
04-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #43
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Quote
I have an Amvona AT-A105T carbon fiber legs and an ATH-A04 ballhead.

I must say that I'm very disappointed with these.

Build quality and workmanship is a joke. The ballhead was full of debris from the machining and hardly moved at all untill I took it apar, cleaned and lubricated everything. Now it moves, but thats about it.

Two legs have already come off and I had to glue them back with epoxy.

The bubble levels aren't level or anywhere close.

The quick attachment plate is loose so that the camera wobbles when it's mounted. This easily leads to tilted pics.

The Amvona stickers look absolutely hideous.

Last time out and hiking a bit one of the leg sections got stuck and can not be extended.

I could go on and on. By far the worst tripod I have ever had. Oh well serves me right I guess for trying the cheap way out.

Quality brand tripods for me from now on.
wow,
my experience is dead opposite. i've been using amvonas for the past few years without a problem at all. i've had 3 tripods and four heads from them and i was surprised at how well they were built.. i can highly recommend them.. most of them are gitzo knockoffs..