Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does one really need a Brand-name tripod

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I don't know much about tripods even though the subject is often discussed here.

I'm wondering, if one were to get this M'otto thingy, does one need an actual M'otto pod???

04-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've no idea, but I would LOVE to have a ball head.
04-03-2008, 05:41 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I don't know much about tripods even though the subject is often discussed here.

I'm wondering, if one were to get this M'otto thingy, does one need an actual M'otto pod???
I do not think so. I think as long as the head unit fits your are ok. Mantfrotto is made by bogen, if that helps.
04-03-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an extraordinarily cheap tripod which is fine indoors for my small lenses plus body, though even then the quality is noticably deficient. But for 1/10 of what the big boys cost it got me started on stability. And now I know more about what to look for when I get a "real" tripod.

04-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #5

No, you don't need a Manfrotto tripod to use a Manfrotto ballhead. I have a Manfrotto ballhead attached to my Slik tripod. They are fastened together by a bolt.

Note that there are two different sizes of bolts used for tripods so you might need to get an adaptor.
04-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JC, That's a cool head but I have some reservations about this and the pistol grip heads. I have one of the vertical ones and there is a tensioning dial on it (I use it on my Monopod). I've heard that with regular use they will slowly loose the ability to grip the internal ball. A true Ball head is the stronger choice IMO. I have a Manfrooto ball head on one tripod and just got a Benro copy of the Arca for my heavier tripod (used mostly for studio stuff or the Bigma).

The Benro head is like this: Benro KS-2 Ball Head ballhead for Tripod+2yrswty - (eBay.ca item 290212141859 end time 04-Apr-08 23:15:24 EDT)
It uses a QR-2 quick release plate that you can get extras of for around $22.00 which is great if you have more than one body or lenses with tripod collars.

This is a very solid head that locks in all directions without much issue, Fast and easy to use. It has a panning motion as well that can be locked. So fine for Pana shooting as well. Ball heads are nice because they are more compact with very little sticking out to get in your way .

I've tried the Arca version (which is almost 3 x the $$) and no question it's a smoother head but I don't feel it's worth 3 x for that.

One last thing I like about a ball head is the ability to undo the locks and allow the camera/lens to "free float" . I've used it this way many times. So say I'm shooting a faster moving subject (cars, race horses etc) and want to have the support of the tripod and some stability. Just loosen the head and you can use it as a support but be able to follow the action in all directions with both hands on the camera/lens. So you're basically using it like a gimbal. The grip heads don't offer that. You must have one hand on the grip and squeeze the lever to move the camera.

The plus of the Grip head, is the speed to compose a shot. Simply grab the handle and squeeze as you move the camera into position.
04-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Oh sorry to answer your question fully. No you don't need a Manfrotto tripod to make this work. All of these heads use a standard 3/8" screw thread which is also the standard these days on almost any tripod out there. The cheapo department store and video camera tripods will use a 1/4" screw mount from head to center column and these would require a bushing to make the head fit. The bushings are available and very cheap if your tripod is and older style 1/4" mount.

04-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What Peter said. They all come in a standard thread. However, I bought an cheapo Amvona tripod off eBay (I think around $30-$40). For regular use, it's pretty sturdy. However, when I tried to a do a pano, there was a major vertical shift between each shot so basically I have to crop out a lot of the top and bottom portion. Since then I got a Manfrotto 3221B, and it performs much better.

My point is for normal usage without precision, then any cheapo tripod would do. And besides, the cheap one is always heavy. I tried one of those carbon fiber ones, and wow, they're light as feathers. So if you take a lot of hike, do consider the weight.
04-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
And besides, the cheap one is always heavy.
amvona has cheap carbon tripods... AT-CF992 (tripod + ballhead) used to be $90-120 off ebay

I have one and there is at least one another member here who has it - Inexpensive gear with Pentax - Hin's Tech Corner (scroll down)
04-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a Giotto's tripod with an Amvona head...
04-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys - I really appreciate your time to reply.

I have 3 tripods. One from the 70s which is the sturdy and will not give it up for anything and 2 cheapos with a removable bracket - they're OK and comfortable. I also have a monopod made from one of those brush extensions.

Unfortunately, its the monopod I have "problems" with if I want to angle it and that's why I'm thinking of somekind of pistol-grip. It takes me a very long time to decide on things because I've made mistakes in the past.
04-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that there is no such thing as cheap or expensive tripods, only those that work for you and those that don't.

The only way to really evaluate any tripod and head is to test it yourself.

This means you take the worst, for vibration, combo you have mount it on the tripod and do some simple tests while looking through the view finder.

The combo's I think are the worst are a long telephoto mounted on the lens mount, a big fast and heavy wide angle zoom, with the combo mounted on the camera tripod socket, and a macro arrangement lens plus extension tubes mounted on the camera socket.

There will be 2 things to check,
- stability of the overall tripod, and you can do this by looking through the view finder and taping any one of the legs.
- stability of the head, and you test this the same way but tap in stead on the lens or camera body and look at the vibration you get.

Stability of the overall tripod may not be a serious issue, providing the tripod is rated to support some weight (5-10 pounds) and you have provision to hang a bag of rocks (or the rest of your gear) on the tripod. This will make it infinitely more stable.

Stability of the head is a bigger issue, and with very long lenses, is a real problem. I use a manfretto long lens stabilizer. this is an extendible arm, that clamps around a tripod leg, and has a ball head to go into the camera's tripod socket. It adds a tremendous amount of rigidity to the head on the tripod.

Also note that all tripods are prone to vibration at the post, since it really behaves like a pivot. This is true even when clamped.

Some tripods also come with additional supports that go from the central column to the legs. This helps reduce deflection of the legs, but limits the ability to adjust each leg separately for span.

As I said at the onset. look and try, it is the only way to know what is right for you.
04-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I just bought the Trek monopod/hiking stick with the ball head and magmount quick release and so far have been satisfied. The bottom also opens up to a tripod. I've only used it a couple of times so far but with spring just around the corner it will get put to good use. My biggest gripe with tripods is they don't go high enough so I look for something that won't give me a backache. Those guys in China who make these things should wake up to the fact that there are people in the world taller than 5ft6! Ball heads add around 4 to 5 inches to the height.
04-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
there are people in the world taller than 5ft6!
speaking about the bones of extinct animals...
04-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
I do not think so. I think as long as the head unit fits your are ok. Mantfrotto is made by bogen, if that helps.
Sorry to disagree - Bogen is the US distributor of Manfrotto tripods. Only in the USA were Manfrottos ever rebadged as Bogens. Here in Canada, they were Manfrottos.

In any event, most heads will go on most tripods. For best use, they should be matched as to the weight design.