Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'm just saying that I think you're looking at it as a single leverage point, when it's not really. A hood brings into play the opposite side of the lens, which helps absorb the impact. That doesn't really happen when all you have is a filter. Not enough leverage there.
Any circular shape will distribute the impact to a degree, and the distribution of the force presumably gets complicated depending on the size and shape of the hood (and what it's made of). I was more concerned about the effect or leverage with respect to the body of the lens. Whether the increased leverage on the body of the lens is a bad thing depends on what the hood is attached to. Anyway, I agree that both lens hoods and filters provide different types and degrees of protection from different things. Personally I find a lens hood on a standard zoom makes swapping between it and the telephoto much less convenient, and personally I prefer to have a disposible lens filter protecting the main lens coatings from the elements. Maybe I'm lazy and paranoid. I also respect the right of others to make different choices.

01-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Saw an eBay sale of a Tamron 28-105mm f/2.8 adaptall for 199.00 some months ago. The seller once had it "on sale" for $199.00 but now says the sale is over and back up to full price at $249.00. He has had this on sale for several months and couldn't sell it at 199.00 and now he ups the price?! Yikes. If you were to look at a close up pic of the front element in one of the pictures, you would see all kinds of scratches on it. Would anyone here buy it like that? Not me, I wouldn't buy it for $100.00 unless I could get Tamron to replace the front element for a modest fee...
01-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #48
Veteran Member

i could be completely wrong here, but aren't small little nicks or scratches in the front element typically of little consequence when it comes to IQ? if you are going to sustain any sort of damage to your lens, the front element is probably the place to get it.
01-10-2015, 01:27 AM   #49

Original Poster
I haven't heard that before, but I'd rather have the front element protected with a good quality clear filter like a B+W, Hoya, Tiffen, etc. than have any scratches. I think this is pertinent because of all the people who scrutinize every spec of quality their lenses are capable of.

01-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
Saw an eBay sale of a Tamron 28-105mm f/2.8 adaptall for 199.00 some months ago. The seller once had it "on sale" for $199.00 but now says the sale is over and back up to full price at $249.00. He has had this on sale for several months and couldn't sell it at 199.00 and now he ups the price?! Yikes. If you were to look at a close up pic of the front element in one of the pictures, you would see all kinds of scratches on it. Would anyone here buy it like that? Not me, I wouldn't buy it for $100.00 unless I could get Tamron to replace the front element for a modest fee...
Yeah, well this apparently discontinued lens goes new (without adapter) for $500 and using a simple search, I didn't spot any used (not worth my time to dig deeper right now). I think the seller is recognizing the condition in his/her asking price. If you are truly interested in this lens (and it sounds like you are), I would politely suggest you contact Tamron about repair cost, and following that make the seller a reasonable offer along with a couple days return privileges for the lens cost (excluding shipping). Make some tests right away and decide - return eating some shipping, keep and use as is, or keep and send to Tamron for repair.

If after doing your research, you decide that the risk is too great for you, walk away. The seller is not crazy. He/she needed cash right away and didn't get it. So now he/she is willing to sit on this lens rather than give it away (in his/her eyes). A few decades back I worked in the retail management. Let me tell you we used to do this all the time for pretty much the same reasons. You might be amazed at how many times we sold stock after a price increase.
01-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #51

Original Poster
I hear what you're saying, I used to work retail too. This lens is definitely not new, and I've seen better conditioned sample for less. Yeah, if I find a good clean sample I'm interested; your advice is good, it's worth a call to Tamron to see what they would charge to either clean up of replace the front element (assuming that's possible due to it being an old lens).