Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Banned

BW Nano filters. Excellent for rain use. Water sheds right off.

11-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@Sandy: And you obviously did not read my direct answer your question, where I said I did make some tests many years ago. I also listed the exceptions where I do take the filters off. Now if you don't agree with me, that's your right. But don't come in here and cop an attitude just because the question is asked. The reason I asked is because I wanted to learn what other people's mindsets were, and I did learn a few things in here. But I don't need the arrogance over a harmless discussion. If this conversation isn't to your liking, you can seek another thread if you like, we'll struggle along without you. If you can contribute without the catty BS, that would be appreciated.
11-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
@Sandy: And you obviously did not read my direct answer your question, where I said I did make some tests many years ago. I also listed the exceptions where I do take the filters off. Now if you don't agree with me, that's your right. But don't come in here and cop an attitude just because the question is asked. The reason I asked is because I wanted to learn what other people's mindsets were, and I did learn a few things in here. But I don't need the arrogance over a harmless discussion. If this conversation isn't to your liking, you can seek another thread if you like, we'll struggle along without you. If you can contribute without the catty BS, that would be appreciated.
This is how the last two threads I either participated in or viewed went. Pretty much exactly.
11-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
This is how the last two threads I either participated in or viewed went. Pretty much exactly.
Yep, why people ask a question and then jump on anyone who does not agree with their preconceived answer is beyond me.

To the OP if you would search this forum you would find many threads on this topic. Many with example pictures showing images with and without filters.

Filters do degrade the image, whether that damage is noticeable depends on the filter, the lens, the actual shot itself, and the photographers tolerance.

Your tests on film are not valid on digital. The digital sensor reacts differently to light than film in subtle ways.

Adding a filter creates flare and ghosts that negatively affect the image in many shots. If you feel that having a filter on the lens is more important than the image quality, then use a filter.

11-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #20

Original Poster
@Snake: I'm not exactly happy about this exchange, and I wasn't looking for a turf war about it. I simply asked a question to get others' feedback and that's all. Not sure why it got hostile especially when there was no provocation for it.
11-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #21

Original Poster
@jatrax: If you are referring to me, you overstate here, I was not jumping on anyone who didn't agree with me. I have my opinion, yes, and why shouldn't I? Again, the question was asked to merely benefit from the experience of others and to see if I might have been missing something. I certainly wasn't expecting a holier than thou character assault just because I didn't reach the same conclusion Sandy has.

As far as not looking for other threads on this particular matter, I just didn't feel like looking. Is there a problem with that? I was looking for direct feedback to me instead of rifling through other threads that may or may not have addressed what I was interested in. I used the forum for my own interests and people responded. Was that wrong? I thought this site encouraged discussion.

I read your other comments. You make an interesting point about how digital reacts to light differently, and that's enough to encourage me to do some new side by side tests with filters on and off. Now you see? That's the kind of information I find very useful, and that's why I posted the thread.

You know, no one's pointing a gun to anyone to respond here, if you find this question offensive, you don't have to respond. But I'm thankful to anyone who took the time and related their experience in an informative and positive manner, you've given me a few things to consider.

Happy Turkey Day, everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yep, why people ask a question and then jump on anyone who does not agree with their preconceived answer is beyond me.

To the OP if you would search this forum you would find many threads on this topic. Many with example pictures showing images with and without filters.

Filters do degrade the image, whether that damage is noticeable depends on the filter, the lens, the actual shot itself, and the photographers tolerance.

Your tests on film are not valid on digital. The digital sensor reacts differently to light than film in subtle ways.

Adding a filter creates flare and ghosts that negatively affect the image in many shots. If you feel that having a filter on the lens is more important than the image quality, then use a filter.
11-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #22
Pentaxian

i'll just post may last reply to this question from an earlier thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
there is a valid reason to use clear protection filters and there is a reason not to. Do not let anybody try to tell you different.
OK, that said, when I am shooting into the sun or for night landscapes, I take off ALL filters to prevent ghosting or excessive flaring.
I sometimes use a clear filter for macros...once was moving in close to a thorny rosebush and the thorn actually marked up my front element, dang! Also, found that dogs, horses, sheep, goats like to lick the front element as if it is water or ice or something. ask me how I know this. I so wish I had used a filter that day! Kid's b-day parties where the spontaneous water ballon, projectile vomit, silly string, could really tick you off without the extra protection.

I also shoot seascapes and pretty much leave off the filters, but I get salt spray and sand on my lenses all the time and have to wipe them fairly often on an outing. It is easier to clean a clear filter than those front elements.
here's that thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/231667-use-uv-fi...eally-bad.html

11-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #23
Banned

@Snake: I'm not exactly happy about this exchange, and I wasn't looking for a turf war about it. I simply asked a question to get others' feedback and that's all. Not sure why it got hostile especially when there was no provocation for it.
I wasn't attacking you.

I only quoted you. The problem is all these threads draw out filter zealots who don't want anyone to ever use filters, even when the rationale is well-reasoned. They become quite militaristic in forcing their opinions down everyone's throats.

A. use them if you think you need them for any purpose
B. know how much they degrade/ater the IQ in the real world, not internet photography, as most people here are.
C. know when to take the filter off for critical shooting (most of the filter zealots act like once the filter goes on, it's permanently bonded and one can never go back. I take mine off for critical shoots)
D. Use good, multi-coated filters

As proof I wasn't attacking you, I use filters and you can check my post history on that and how/when I use mine. You will never have a reason good enough for the internet photographers. You could be in sandstorms and they'll never concede.
11-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

"...filter zealots" "...militaristic" "...forcing their opinions down everyone's throats."
"...the real world, not internet photography, as most people here are." "...filter zealots" "...internet photographers"

Gee, I don't know why threads you've participated in might turn combative.
11-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Gee, I don't know why threads you've participated in might turn combative.
What about the ones that I didn't participate in?

11-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure why it got hostile especially when there was no provocation for it.
As far as I can see, all of the hostility in this thread has come from you.
11-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

What about the ones that I didn't participate in?

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
11-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Filtering Process?

Hello LXNights, Welcome to the forum!
As you can see, this question has been asked many times before (about as often as 'Why doesn't Pentax make a digital K1000?') and it's safe to say most folks are either in the YES, Always!! or NO!!! Never! camp.
After using a UV or Skylight throughout my film days and not using one for digital (but, always using a hood), I've finally arrived at a compromise.
My lenses don't have any filters on, normally. But they all have metal threaded hoods, or the OEM petal hoods.
I take a filter pouch with me on all outings, I have 3 pouches, 4-filter, 6-filter and 8-filter sizes. These are pretty cheap on eBay.
Let's say my lens selection for the day has lenses with 49mm and 52mm threads. The 6-filter pouch would have CPL's in 49/52mm, ND # 16 in 49/52mm and UV's in 49/52mm. If it rains heavily, is very dusty or I find myself around splashing water, the UV's go on, but I'm careful with the sunlight direction. I might replace the UV with a polarizer, for example. Never more than one filter at a time. Or, no filter, but always a hood.
For the price of one more 'accessory' (the filter pouch) that takes up little space, I'm covered for virtually all the conditions that may occur.
Some photographers stack the filters (with a 49mm to 52mm adapter, in this case) for a different form factor, more like a lens.
Choices. Just like lens selection, ISO setting, aperture, etc. Being prepared and understanding your gear.
Does this make me some kind of obsessive gearhead tech-nerd?
Perhaps. But I rarely miss a shot because my gear wasn't up to the conditions.
JMO,
Ron
11-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

As far as not looking for other threads on this particular matter, I just didn't feel like looking. Is there a problem with that? I was looking for direct feedback to me instead of rifling through other threads that may or may not have addressed what I was interested in. I used the forum for my own interests and people responded. Was that wrong? I thought this site encouraged discussion.
That is a huge problem for some folks, and the reason why 'the search function is your thread' is taken seriously. There is a wealth of info on this site regarding all topics, and this particular one has been discussed at length. You're much more likely to find useful info by searching the archives than by starting a new thread.
11-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #30

Original Poster
@Snake: My comments about the hostility in here were not directed at you. As I said to most everyone, I appreciate your input, and I'm going to look into exploring this further because of this input.

@Sandy: I beg to differ. The hostile tone began with this comment from you:

"No. You are being criticised because you have obviously not already done an experiment, which is easily within your reach, and would have answered your original question already."

It's not for you to pass judgement on me about what I have done or not done. You are in no position to make such assumptions either, especially after my response to your earlier related comment answered you directly about it. I welcome your opinion, but not the attitude.

@MikeSF: Thanks for posting that quote. That's pretty much how I work with it. I work with filters most of the time but will remove them in certain conditions. I was interested in other experiences and as most of us know, the learning process for photographers never ends...