Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
If I used my grip, I think I could make it flush against the left side, too. I'll try that, and try to photograph what it looks like.
Well, that was educational. The L bracket doesn't fit in the slightest when the grip is attached. I didn't realize how wide the grip is at the base, and one side of the grip is the controls, and the other, the battery access. So, I may need to find a purpose-made L bracket if I want to use the grip and the L bracket. However, here's what the L bracket looks like attached to the camera itself. I guess the L bracket is really only slightly away from flush; perhaps 1/4" instead of the 1/2" I claimed previously. Anyway, from this you can determine if you want to go the DPL-01 way or not. The L bracket has never twisted; everything seems quite solid. Note that I do not have long heavy lenses, though. But I also use a home-made rapid type strap bolted into the bottom 1/4" receptacle of the L bracket, and nothing moves at all. Here's the strap I made: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/266215...ml#post2893829

Attached Images

Last edited by asharpe; 07-31-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added pointer to home made strap
08-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Well, that was educational. The L bracket doesn't fit in the slightest when the grip is attached. I didn't realize how wide the grip is at the base, and one side of the grip is the controls, and the other, the battery access. So, I may need to find a purpose-made L bracket if I want to use the grip and the L bracket. However, here's what the L bracket looks like attached to the camera itself. I guess the L bracket is really only slightly away from flush; perhaps 1/4" instead of the 1/2" I claimed previously. Anyway, from this you can determine if you want to go the DPL-01 way or not. The L bracket has never twisted; everything seems quite solid. Note that I do not have long heavy lenses, though. But I also use a home-made rapid type strap bolted into the bottom 1/4" receptacle of the L bracket, and nothing moves at all. Here's the strap I made: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/266215...ml#post2893829
Thank you for the good clear photos. Now I have a much better idea of scale here. Are both those holes at the upright end on the bottom threaded? I'm running through mods in my head... On the other side, there is what looks to be a slit for running a strap through. I'm thinking I'd prefer using that as the basis for attaching a sling strap or a DIY tether thing: I believe I'd like my K3 hanging with the top prism facing out and the lens facing towards the back... then resting the camera body vertically inside a very lightweight quick access, "misdirection-styled" bag at my right side. I think I have just the thing.
08-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha haha, Steve your 'Blue Quick' is very cool and clever, you also get extra points for excellent photo illustrations. Too bad I already bought my knock-off 'blackrapid' strap. Good evening to yous
08-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Pewter Quote
Haha haha, Steve your 'Blue Quick' is very cool and clever, you also get extra points for excellent photo illustrations
Thanks, and you are welcome. My name is Andrew, though.

08-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Are both those holes at the upright end on the bottom threaded?
If you mean the small ones, yes, but they are there to hold small stop screws so that the bracket doesn't slide out if the clamp gets loose. I found the screws to be very annoying, so I took them off.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
On the other side, there is what looks to be a slit for running a strap through.
Yes, the slit is for a strap, but that seemed like a more difficult arrangement than simply using the 1/4"x20 hole that is there. A lot of their plates have the strap slit; I haven't seen any arrangement that uses them. Have you?
08-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If you mean the small ones, yes, but they are there to hold small stop screws so that the bracket doesn't slide out if the clamp gets loose. I found the screws to be very annoying, so I took them off.

Yes, the slit is for a strap, but that seemed like a more difficult arrangement than simply using the 1/4"x20 hole that is there. A lot of their plates have the strap slit; I haven't seen any arrangement that uses them. Have you?
I don't know, right off the top of my head. I've seen slits on either side, too. I just know I've seen a number of arrangements from the sling strap brigade I'm not too crazy about. I also don't really care for the usual bits attaching to camera lugs, either. Why have split rings chew away at the lugs on a nice camera, typically with some degree of mildly annoying binding effect? Why do the soft, but strong lug looping parts on a system like Op-Tech's have big, clunky parts that sit so close to the lugs that you have to constantly maneuver that part of the strap system on the grip side up and over your hand whenever your go to grab your camera for a fast shot? Why do wrist tether systems leave a long part (with a noisy-on-impact plastic buckle) dangling annoyingly from your wrist when unhitched from the camera?

As a semi-retired designer as well as a user, I see a lot of half-baked ideas realized as commercial product. And some seemingly overwraught shiney bits, too, of presumed marketing appeal... which somewhat remind me of overwrought and over-massive shiney connector bits in high end audio -- we fans of the genre for the performance aspects sometimes refer to this stuff as "audio jewelry", not in an approving way. Although this probably does mean lower costs on average for users getting their gear from the secondary market due to economies of scale (more sold up front to the less discerning, but well-heeled), the dress up parts tend to negatively impact the audible performance... for reasons entirely explainable by physics and true first class engineering practices.

I sometimes wonder about analogies in camera gear. I, for one, am currently investigating construction of a customized, modular "hybrid" system, integrating parts from several manufacturers, with mods and some custom sewing as needed. I could be overthinking this a bit, but I sure would like something as simple as can be (but no simpler) that eliminates the annoyances of solutions past. And what could be more practical than coming up with a camera support and carry system you'll want to haul about in your real, not fantasy, life... and really use?

Addendum: ...And be as inconspicuous as possible to the eyes of would-be thieves, while still being integrated looking and stylish in use.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 08-05-2014 at 02:51 AM.