Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Vertical Shoot Quick Release Plate L Bracket for Pentax K7 K5 KR /K30 K50 K-01

Bought a cheap Chinese L bracket under the name of 'Vertical Shoot Quick Release Plate L Bracket for Pentax K7 K5 KR /K30 K50 K-01' and says 'iShoot' on it too.

Very unaware of the differences in L brackets.. I figured why not and ordered... a couple of weeks later it arrived.. it does not fit my K-30 or K-5ii without rotating loose of the bracket. The problem is the cross-travel of the screw up and down allows the entire L bracket to slide loose of the camera... making it virtually useless.

Really bad thing is, it is going to cost at minimum 10 dollars to ship back.. customs form needs to be filled out.. then I have to hope it gets there on time and they actually refund me.. in short there are a lot of hoops I think the vendor doesn't mind.

So I think I'm swallowing this 40 dollar pill... yuck.

Unless someone has a tip to get this working (strongly doubt it), I say avoid the ebay Chinese L Brackets... 40 bucks would have been a nice chunk of a serious one such as the Really Right Stuff (RRS) custom formed one. But the thought, beforehand, of spending 140 dollars on a piece of aluminum was too much to bare. ugh. hehe

Last edited by mee; 12-04-2013 at 09:44 PM.
12-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I understand your pain at the price but I have to say, my RRS bracket works great, takes about 2 seconds to change orientation without disturbing the tripod/head setting and NEVER slips due to the body-conforming ridge. When you don't anticipate using the "L" functionality, you can remove that part and leave the quick release plate attached to the camera alone; it takes about 5 seconds to remove or reinstall with the included tool. The cost did indeed sting but the unit is built like a tank, is very solid but light and works like a champ. Plus, the folks at RRS are really good people.
12-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar experience - see Flash Bracket
I settled for an even older one in the end, solid as a rock
12-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Flash bracket a little different.. wish there was a cheap alternative to the pricey RRS L-bracket for my landscape adventures.. Surely this doesn't cost anywhere close to 140 USD to make.. or even 70. It appears to be a couple pieces of CNC cut aluminum, powder coated black... surprised the Chinese haven't simply copied the working design at this point...

07-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Flash bracket a little different.. wish there was a cheap alternative to the pricey RRS L-bracket for my landscape adventures.. Surely this doesn't cost anywhere close to 140 USD to make.. or even 70. It appears to be a couple pieces of CNC cut aluminum, powder coated black... surprised the Chinese haven't simply copied the working design at this point...
So Mee, any luck finding a cheaper L-Bracket yet? I feel your pain
07-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pewter Quote
So Mee, any luck finding a cheaper L-Bracket yet? I feel your pain
How about this one? It used to be $115 when I bookmarked it a year ago now its only $85.
Its one piece and profiled specifically for the K-5 similar to the RRS / Kirk / Mestos style

L Bracket FITTEST FK5L L Plate QR For Pentax K5 Bo L Bracket reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Fittest FK5L L Plate L Bracket QR for Pentax K5 Body Only Arca Compatible | eBay
07-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
How about this one? ...
The only problem I see with that one is you cannot remove the side plate when it is not needed. The only alternative would be to remove the whole thing, in which case you would have to have another QR plate to replace it. On the other hand, the cost savings might well be worth the hassle for some folks.
07-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
How about this one? It used to be $115 when I bookmarked it a year ago now its only $85.
Its one piece and profiled specifically for the K-5 similar to the RRS / Kirk / Mestos style

L Bracket FITTEST FK5L L Plate QR For Pentax K5 Bo L Bracket reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Fittest FK5L L Plate L Bracket QR for Pentax K5 Body Only Arca Compatible | eBay
Thank you vm Steve, I am checking it out now

---------- Post added 2014-07-26 at 15:14 ----------

Has anyone tried K-30 with FITTEST FK5L L Bracket For Pentax? Is it a very snug and secure fit? Wont twist around inside the bracket when trying to rotate the assembly?

07-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #9

I'm using this: Universal L-type Quick-Release Plates DPL-01 - Products - Sunwayphoto-a superior photography accessories manufacturer in Shenzhen China on a K3, and I had it on a K20. It works perfectly, and is quite inexpensive. As you can see from the photo, it has a lip to stop any twist. And it works. You can buy it from these guys: http://www.oeccamera.com/; they also sell on ebay and Amazon.
07-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
I'm using this: Universal L-type Quick-Release Plates DPL-01 - Products - Sunwayphoto-a superior photography accessories manufacturer in Shenzhen China on a K3, and I had it on a K20. It works perfectly, and is quite inexpensive. As you can see from the photo, it has a lip to stop any twist. And it works. You can buy it from these guys: OEC Camera Accessories; they also sell on ebay and Amazon.
I have been shopping for the whole camera (K3) support kit-'n'-kaboodle. Could you please show how this L-plate looks in its most compact set position on your K3? This would be MUCH appreciated! -- Fred
07-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Could you please show how this L-plate looks in its most compact set position on your K3? This would be MUCH appreciated! -- Fred
Pentax was very clever putting the remote shutter release on the right side of the body on the K3; that means that the left door doesn't have to open at all. On my K20, I needed to use a short extension cord to use the remote release. On the K3, I used the position that brings the L bracket just in front of the bottom battery compartment (so battery access is unimpeded), which means it sticks out about half inch on the left. If I used my grip, I think I could make it flush against the left side, too. I'll try that, and try to photograph what it looks like. But certainly it works fine, and doesn't cost three arms and two legs.
07-30-2014, 03:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax was very clever putting the remote shutter release on the right side of the body on the K3; that means that the left door doesn't have to open at all. On my K20, I needed to use a short extension cord to use the remote release. On the K3, I used the position that brings the L bracket just in front of the bottom battery compartment (so battery access is unimpeded), which means it sticks out about half inch on the left. If I used my grip, I think I could make it flush against the left side, too. I'll try that, and try to photograph what it looks like. But certainly it works fine, and doesn't cost three arms and two legs.
Sounds good so far. I'd like to have the option of losing as much of that 1/2" of air as I can, even at the cost of less convenient battery door access. Are all the "blueprinted" specs shown somewhere for this one as a diagram?
07-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #13

---------- Post added 2014-07-26 at 15:14 ----------

Has anyone tried K-30 with FITTEST FK5L L Bracket For Pentax? Is it a very snug and secure fit? Wont twist around inside the bracket when trying to rotate the assembly?
Answering my own question. I wrote to the 'Fittest FK5L' store and they replied (making me pause):

"...This is dedicated bracket for K5 so we are afraid it can not fit K-30 and we also have not tried"

---------- Post added 2014-07-31 at 00:04 ----------

I'm using this: Universal L-type Quick-Release Plates DPL-01 - Products - Sunwayphoto-a superior photography accessories manufacturer in Shenzhen China on a K3, and I had it on a K20. It works perfectly, and is quite inexpensive. As you can see from the photo, it has a lip to stop any twist. And it works. You can buy it from these guys: OEC Camera Accessories; they also sell on ebay and Amazon.
Thank you asharpe. For general interest please note K-30 fitting was not mentioned.

The K30 battery compart. Is located right side of body so I mount my L-bracket on the left. The el-cheapo bracket I have not long enough to fit the right side anyhow. On K30 the left body bulges outward a bit exactly where the crossbar on the Sunway bracket is positioned (I know cuz my bracket has the crossbar). The bulge prevents the bracket upright from mating cleanly with left side of the body. So I dont think this is a good design for K30.

But since I actually have not tried this myself, would welcome hearing from someone who has?
07-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Bought a cheap Chinese L bracket under the name of 'Vertical Shoot Quick Release Plate L Bracket for Pentax K7 K5 KR /K30 K50 K-01' and says 'iShoot' on it too.

Very unaware of the differences in L brackets.. I figured why not and ordered... a couple of weeks later it arrived.. it does not fit my K-30 or K-5ii without rotating loose of the bracket. The problem is the cross-travel of the screw up and down allows the entire L bracket to slide loose of the camera... making it virtually useless.
You could try adding a thin bit of grippy rubber pad between the plate and body to keep it snug once tightened? Something like that?
07-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You could try adding a thin bit of grippy rubber pad between the plate and body to keep it snug once tightened? Something like that?
I glued a rectangular acetate ring on the upright arm of my L-Bracket, working around an awkward bump on the left side of K30 body. Think it helps a bit but since it is rubbery and not rigid, still permits the body to rotate inside the bracket. I will try gluing some grippy rubber (like the stuff they put on car dashboards to hold your cell phone) on the horizontal arm of my bracket to see how that helps. When I do will post a photo and comment here.