Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Make your own, make your own, make your own ........ Why do we always talk expensive when we can make our own.
Common on friends it is so easy to make them your self. I use high fibre cloth, any color, hard rubber foam - this is extremely light, flexible and comes in various thickness, velcro, scissors and needle and thread. Total cost - probably $ 3 to 5. Any craft store, wall mart, target etc. have all the stuff you need.
You will be surprised how easy it is. And you can size and shape them to suit individual gear you have.
Regards.
Yes, nanhi. I do think making my own is very good option! Just that I wish I was more crafty and have some patience to sit down to do this.... Thank you!

12-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm leaning toward crumpler (colors!!) but mountainsmith looks cool enough too... I wish I could make one myself but, planning to use it outdoors often, being waterproof is very important as well. (only few things I could sew in my highschool were aprons and boxers... and I don't think they were waterproofs...:P)

Thank you all for great suggestions! This indeed is very helpful forum. Glad I asked.
12-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Domke are ok, nmo more. I have one insert from them, and of all things it lacks padding at the bottom! Go figure.

the best I have used is from Ape Case, found on Amazon. cheap, lifetime warranty, very very well made.

stay away from no names on eBay, I bought two and the seams unravelled quite fast.

One last option : if your bags fits with it, you could get a Timbuk2 snoop messenger insert. These are excellent also.
05-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After all searches I ended up making my own bag insert only because the insert I ordered from ebay came in size L instead of size S. Sending it back to China did make any sense. And the cover fabric was more appropriate for gazebo cover. I took that insert apart and made my own.

I can not say it's very fast work (took me one day of making it), plus I followed the original shape because the foam was already cut certain way. So now I plan to make my own in oval shape. For a few reasons: oval shape will fit shoulder bag better than rectangular, and will give instantly nice corners for lens if needed, and it's easy to sew the oval insert for sure. In addition, I have freedom to make not one but a few inserts for different cameras and occasions.
What makes me sad is the fact that manufacturers don't give any good insert options for specific cameras and specific needs for ladies: to carry the camera in any bag I want conveniently. I gave up searching over and over. I don't like camera on my neck all the time, neither on my wrist.