Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak Design leash and cuff

In my seemingly never ending pursuit of the perfect strap, I purchased the leash and cuff from Peak Design. I was using a Black Rapid strap usually attached to the arca Swiss plate on the da300 lens. And a hand strap like the camdapter. It was ok, but obtrusive.
First, the attachment clip. Both packages come with a few small disks with a cord loop. You attach then to the body strap lugs, and in my case, a plate on the body with an eye for a strap. I have a photo clam plate. As well a Black Rapid eye screwed into the fanotech plate on the lens. The loop is not long enough to hook to the slot in a lens plate. The clip seems secure, if anything a bit of a challenge getting them apart especially when the plastic is cold.

With the same clip on all mounting points, it is easy to hook the leash to two points on the body or lens. The strap is soft and flexible. I thought it would be too thin and uncomfortable compared to the black rapid, but it seems fine. It seems to not be in the way. The thin material folds or scrunches up easily, without tangling. I've had it attached to the lens and body plate, as a sling for long walks, or to the body lugs as a standard strap. I'm pleased so far. We shall see how it holds up; the black rapid is a couple of years old with no wear.
The cuff is a loop that cinches your wrist, attached to any of the clips on the body. The loop is a bit small for my large hands, it is not an easy slip on operation. Once on my wrist, the body hangs from the tether. I'm not quite sure of this system yet. The camdapter didn't work well for my hands. To make it secure it prevented operation off the camera, loose enough for that made it essentially a handle that got in the way. This is far less obtrusive, I leave it on when I have the other strap set up. If only the loop was a bit bigger.

It isn't outrageously expensive, and so far I'm happy. A few minor changes like a larger loop on the cuff, and the option of longer clasp loops would make it perfect.

12-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the cuff and leash as a package when it was on Kickstarter so have used it for all this year. (I think I've only used my BR strap twice since then when out with 2 bodies).

BR strap works fine and I'd still use it for heavier kit. The 2 things I didn't like was it's about the size of a typical "sigma" lens when its packed up (ie huge) and it's pretty sweaty in hot weather, I end up with 1 sweaty shoulder.

The 'Leash' webbing material is nice and soft and flexible so it scrunches up nice and small in a pocket or bag. The BR strap is a stiffer feeling woven poly-?something. It would have to be tougher as it has the metal gliding parts constantly rubbing on it.

The Leash is comfortable on the shoulder but its still only 1" wide so I probably wouldn't want to carry a "Bigma" on it all day. Its a fixed loop attached to the camera and must glide over your clothing when lifting the camera to shoot. The soft webbing generally does this well. When down on the hip I think the camera actually swings around quite a bit less than when on a BR Strap. The friction in the leash in your body prevents movement whereas with the BR the metal clip slides on the strap when walking unless you move both of the bump stops down to hold it.

It's much easier to adjust the length of the 'Leash" if you need to whilst wearing it. The plastic buckle slides on the webbing easy when adjusting and holds pretty when and doesn't slip when it's supposed to stay put. (Time will tell if it stays that way after extended use.)
To adjust my BRstrap, the "RSport" version I pretty much have to take it off.

The wriststrap or 'Cuff' might not be suited to Rachmaninoff sized hands or if you're wearing ski gloves.
When skiing I got it on OK but getting it off meant removing the glove.

I think for 99% of people, not skiing, it should be OK.

The clips that hold the small lugs in would be tricky to unfasten with glove or with really big fingers. Its a design compromise. If they were bigger, then the clip would be more intrusive flopping against your hand , and if it were much smaller it would be trick to take off and might not be as strong.
I manage t o unclip them OK with 1 thumb but not as easy as it appears on the PeakDesign marketting video. They might have been "special mockups" for the ad.

Those molded lugs and the small loops you want to be strong. They feel pretty solid and the loops have kevlar fibre in them so should be strong. That said I wouldn't want to hitch them onto anything with sharp edges which I guess would eventually fray them.
I kept the small leather pieces on and the triangular split ring lugs on my K-5 & K-7. I also bought a 4 pack of spare lugs since they're only a couple of bucks each.

I found the length of the loops OK, and fitted them to a webbing handle on a large Thinktank pouch to use as a shoulder strap. I guess having them on the small side prevent you attaching to something really big & heavy.

Link to B&H with pictures
peak_design_cuff_quick_connecting_wrist_strap