Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does Anyone Know Anything About This Light Meter?

I went to a store in the town where I live and I ended up getting a wild hair and picking up a Norwood Flashrite exposure meter. Does anyone know anything about this? What is its collectability? From what I have read, it came out around 1953 but that's really the only information that I can find on it. Even Youtube does not have any videos about it.

12-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't know about collectibility, but it is an interesting meter. Reading the manual I see that it is not a traditional light meter, but it is a rangefinder that measures distance. That could be interesting to have, though the scale is mostly useless because almost no one uses flash bulbs like that anymore. Would be interesting to redo the scale to match the GN of the flash you normally carry.

Manual is available here:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/norwood_flashrite.pdf
12-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got the original manual and box for it but now that I bought it, I'm not sure I can use it. It's a good thing I didn't pay very much for it. Like I said, I got a wild hair and bought it. It seems like a complicated thing to use.
12-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Not really, if you understand how flash works. Your flash exposure is determined by your guide number, distance, aperture and ISO. The only way to change your guide number then was to use a different bulb, that is why it has bulb types.

You turn the dial until both images of your subject overlap completely, just like focusing a rangefinder camera, this determines your distance. Then it will tell you the proper aperture to go along with the ISO and bulb type you are using.

12-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
It would be very easy to convert flash bulb type to guide numbers. GN= distance X aperture (in f-stops) at a specific ISO (usually 100).

This sounds like it would be a useful gadget if you want to do flash photography on a totally manual basis. Along with the meter, some simple algebraic rearrangement of the above formula would be all you need.
12-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
perhaps not as useful as you think, remember here that the flash bulb is providing light for longer than the shutter time, especially for high shutter speeds, so the curve is quite non linear.
12-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I should have looked at it better before I bought it.

12-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I still would have bought it, it looks cool and I would try to make my own overlay for it to match a YN-560.
12-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It looks like it's in nearly pristine condition. Then again, I'm not an expert on judging the quality of an item. The box and instruction manual are in slightly worse shape than the light meter itself but they are still in what I would call great shape. I may have to kind of play around with it a little bit.