Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

Nickel Zinc rechargeable batteries (NiZn)

I recently started using Nickel Zinc rechargeable batteries for my Yongnuo flash. So far they seem to hold longer and recharge faster than my normal NiMh. The extra voltage really helps. Using my (old) NiMh or Alcaline in my Camera (K-30) disappointed me a bit, because they depleted way faster than the standard battery.
Considering NiZn is not official supported I wanted to know if anyone so far dared to use it in his camera. Could you share your experience ?

The voltage level of NiZn shouldnt be a problem as the standard Lithium Cells are still higher. Having a higher voltage than NiMh should allow to use more of the actual charge. But I am still not confident enough to put it in my only DSLR...

12-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with the NiZn technology, so have to go with what I have read so far. It seems they can be used on electronics which can also take Lithium cells as these both have a similar voltage of about 1.65-1.70v. The energy density capacity of the NiZn seems to be about the same as NiMH, and good NiMH can deliver most of there charge because of very low internal resistance compared to other cells which keeps there effect voltage at an acceptable level (in my case for the K200D, but some devices refuse to work at this voltage).

The caution with these NiZn cells seems to be that they should not be trickle charged as this vents their hydrogen and it seems they don't replenish this so performance degrades more quickly with trick charging over time. Also, you need a special charger for these.

I contrast, I give my NiMH slow charge by default as this yields long life and can be used to boost the batteries safely from any unknown charge state.

One question on your bad experience with NiMH is whether you are using good NiMHs with low self discharge such as Sanyo Eneloops. I had bad results on my K200D with NiMH (Energiser and GP) cells until I changed to using Hybrio, Eneloops and Duracell (white caps = Eneloops).

Would like to hear others experiences with these over the long term.

EDIT: added interesting link for info http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/rechargeable.html

Last edited by KevinR; 12-14-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added link
12-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use them occasionally on my k-x. The reason it is occasionally is because they don't hold the charge for too long. I use them only when I know I'm going to do some shooting. On those occasions they seem to outlast hybrids.

They do have higher voltage, about 1.7 - 1.8v per cell which means 6.8 - 7.2 v (same as proprietary li-ion batteries).

I don't think they are harmful to the camera but I would be cautious about using them in a flash. They might burn the flash. Because of the fast recycle times you can shoot faster which might lead to overheating.
12-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback.

The NiMh I used weren't low self discharge but usually charged up the evening before. Maybe I will give those a try for comparison. The provided Link was interesting, but the results aren't overwhelming. Now that I have them I will find out how they behave in reality anyway.

Good hint considering flash overheating. I dont know which recent flashes have overheat protection built in and if these systems are intelligent enough to measure the faster recycle time or resulting heat. My Yongnuo is not that expensive but I would still mind its loss. However I will continue using the NiZn with it.