Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

plug n play external hard drive.

For what it's worth I have lived over where you are going... skip the laptop. There are internet cafe's everywhere.

Extra SD cards are a great idea though.

When I was in Bogota I simply got a bunch of thumb drives and put the files there. I have like 6 of them with images still on them.

02-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you have a K-3 (ie have two SD card slots in-camera), you could additionally:

(a) set up the camera, using 'Save to Both' mode, to simultaneously write images to the two SD card slots, then simply keep one card as your backup; or

(b) use the camera's ability to copy images between memory cards in playback mode to manually backup one SD card to another after a shoot.

No laptop, netbook etc required, just extra SD cards.
The laptop was the same price as 8 high-speed SD cards. I expect to need at least 10 for this trip, so doubling up as a back-up would be more expensive than the laptop. And, as I mentioned in my recent post, I need a travel laptop for photography workshops to do some basic editing. And so although all these laptop-less options are likely of interest to people facing a question similar to mine, for my purposes a laptop makes more sense. (And I already bought it.)